OLD H9 Mustang build with NGH GF38 38cc Gas 4 Stroke Engine - RC Groups
Jun 26, 2016, 02:41 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Build Log

OLD H9 Mustang build with NGH GF38 38cc Gas 4 Stroke Engine

Well I dont know why.. but I seem to love to torture myself with ARFs that need a ton of mods..

Here's a model that came out 12 years ago!! I picked this one up privately a short while ago for a fair price.

Really looking forward to using the 38cc four stroke. Should be perfect for this smaller bird with a 77" ws.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=46082

The gear included are mechanical and will be tossed and replaced with some air UP/Spring Down that I have had sitting around for awhile. Also the Steel wire struts will be replaced. The tail wheel will receive a retract. The wings are intended to be glued togther as a one peice wing.. that will become two. Im not at all going for a scale build.. but some things need improving for sure.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2016, 02:48 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
ya know... Im just thinking here, about how this plane has been in the box for 12 years! and it doesn't have a single wrinkle in the coating. A few months ago I paid almost $1000 for a boomerang type jet.. and it took me 3 hours to iron out all the wrinkles!! Man! how quality is getting worse as technology increasses
Jun 27, 2016, 09:52 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Managed to fit one retract last night. Small bit of carving and she fit snugly into place. When I was cutting back the wheel well.. I noticed that the well is not plastic.. Its fiberglass! and that it came pre-installed! Want that now-adays.. add a couple hundred bucks

I got to say., Back then quality of the model mattered.
Last edited by vettster; Jun 28, 2016 at 06:53 AM.
Jun 28, 2016, 03:44 PM
Hello,

I think it will be a great combination. I have 80” Super chipmunk powered by NGH GF38. Nice scale performance and you can`t beat the sound . I fitted ASP FS180 muffler.
Jun 28, 2016, 06:38 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Hi ernestino!! Thanks for replying. Im glad to hear you think this is a good combo.

Could you please post a video. I would love to hear it with the muffler your using. I will order one aswell.
Jun 29, 2016, 09:13 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Check out the retractable tail wheel I got! I thought it was just a neat all metal gear.. but when I opened the box I found it was also an electric tail retract! SWEET!! lol https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=42657
Jun 30, 2016, 06:01 AM
Short video:
NGH GF-38 Slipstream Super Chipmunk (0 min 36 sec)

I noticed, that Just engines changed design of adapter for ASP muffler they sell. Exactly like the one I posted here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...stroke-52.html
Last edited by ernestino; Jun 30, 2016 at 10:05 AM.
Jul 02, 2016, 07:29 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Hey Thanks for posting that ernestino. Sounds very sweet Nice plane too!

This build is a bit slow as I have other planes that are airworthy needing attention before hitting events.

I will for sure be going with the exhaust. The 4stk sounds better the quieter you can make them IMO
Jul 31, 2016, 03:24 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Time to return to this build.

Im very impressed how well everything is going together. IMO they built a much better ARF back 12 years ago then most companies do today including H9

The gear are in. The wing bolts and pins are in. Time to fit the NGH38cc 4stk. I will need to modify the stock engine mount to move the engine rearward 3/4"

Wing bolts and pins are in..etc
Sep 02, 2016, 05:24 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
well moving along at a staggering pace!! LOL This has to be my slowest build ever! Thats good.. means Im busy at work

Since the stock engine mount wont hold the engine.. I plugged the holes and then glassed the engine bay as I would normally do. The wing radiater is on and the engine is about to be fitted to the plane.

The one big difference you will see from ARFs long ago and todays planes.. is that the servos go up front and use push rods. Todays ARFs have you putting the servos in the back and adding a ton of weight to the nose. Im going to stick with the push rods as they seem plenty strong.

As far as the niffty retractable tail wheel?? Well that will be left out for the time being as it would be more work than I want to do at this time given that the summer is coming to an end here in Toronto Canada. I'll put it in over the winter. AND! I will continue on the WETJET over the winter too! Check it out in my blog.
Sep 27, 2016, 08:16 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
At this pace the maiden will happen April

Had a lot more pics... but they have gone missing

Sep 28, 2016, 01:24 PM
its TALON TIME!
I never knew they did the 150 size p51 in this scheme. looking forward to your progress!
Oct 20, 2016, 07:34 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
It will be done this weekend.. though the weather is going to suck.

I am going set the airlines up for the gear so that everything is attached to the wing. It will only need one servo wire to be plugged in and that will be for the battery. The wing will have its own Rx as I have several kicking around.