Jun 25, 2016, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Can Polyurethane paints be used on wooden RC boat models?

I've recently come into possession of a Dumas #88 'Crockett' RC boat. I've been cleaning it up and adding some minor details. I'd like to freshen-up the exterior hull using Minwax FAST-DRYING Polyurethane clear satin spray paint. (UPC code: 27426 33060). The can says "Interior Use Only". Can I use it on the outside of the hull without any problems? Thanks for your advice!
Regards, Randy Griggs
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2016, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgriggs
I've recently come into possession of a Dumas #88 'Crockett' RC boat. I've been cleaning it up and adding some minor details. I'd like to freshen-up the exterior hull using Minwax FAST-DRYING Polyurethane clear satin spray paint. (UPC code: 27426 33060). The can says "Interior Use Only". Can I use it on the outside of the hull without any problems? Thanks for your advice!
Regards, Randy Griggs
"Interior" implies inside, not exposed to weather, and possibly limited exposure to the sun. It should work fine, as long as you are placing the model on a shelf, in your house, or a museum. If on the other hand, you want to put the model in a lake/pond and run it, I would suggest using a different paint specified for exterior use.
Jun 25, 2016, 02:11 PM
Interior implies that there are no UV protectors in the varnish and it will change color going to yellow in direct sunlight. Also there is a difference in the adhesion in interior since it does not have to put up with varying moisture and sunlight.
Jun 27, 2016, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
Interior implies that there are no UV protectors in the varnish and it will change color going to yellow in direct sunlight. Also there is a difference in the adhesion in interior since it does not have to put up with varying moisture and sunlight.
No direct sunlight on interior woodwork is a very rash assumption. The south facing inside windows & window ledges are by far the hottest bits of wood in our house from direct sunlight. I understand that UV passes through glass just as it does through water.

I had always thought that "interior" was to do with its weather fastness rather than its uv protection.

You live & learn.
Last edited by ChrisE; Jun 27, 2016 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply