Jun 24, 2016, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitounet
If you knew the recent history of the UK, you would have known that they were on the verge of bankruptcy and almost in the hands of the IMF just before they joined the EU. Some say it is 100% due to tatchet policy they avoid the catastrophe, some other say it is 100% due to their integration to the EEC (former name of the EU). My opinion is both had influence . Now we will have the oportunity to check who is correct. See you in 25 for the result of this real life experiment.
I'm afraid you'll have to share notes with someone else, as due to my age, I'm unlikely to be here in twenty five.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:04 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
England will be fine. After all, they got along without the EU for almost nineteen hundred years. For much of that time, they were the world's most powerful nation. Now they're free to build a new British Empire.
The problem with the past is that... it's the past!

There is no British Empire, and there won't be another British Empire (that's my prediction).

Our history - and the spread of our language - has given us an advantage far longer than expected. Now it won't, and others will discover how small our island, in todays World, actually is.

I think we've buggered up the future for our children - but at least we decided on our own direction and will either gain the benefit, or will pay the cost.

The cost of being an 'adult'!
Jun 24, 2016, 05:04 AM
Quote:
England will be fine. After all, they got along without the EU for almost nineteen hundred years. For much of that time, they were the world's most powerful nation. Now they're free to build a new British Empire.
Build a new empire? What are you talking about? We did ok for a bit because we got a headstart on invading places where the locals had nothing but some pointy wooden sticks.

But just out of interest what country do you think we should take over first?
Jun 24, 2016, 05:06 AM
“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right.” -Henry Ford.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:08 AM
Just to be clear...

From the Brexit referendum just held, the majority of Scots voted to remain in the EU.

From the Scottish Independence referendum, the majority of Scottish voters opted to stay within the UK, at the time a member of the EU.

So if you were to now ask the Scots, do you want to stay with the UK now that they are leaving the EU? Do you think they would prefer to be part of the EU (which they just voted for), or remain with the UK?

We live in interesting times.

I would also like to point out the presence of Trump in Scotland, which may or may not have skewed the results.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:10 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
Build a new empire? What are you talking about? We did ok for a bit because we got a headstart on invading places where the locals had nothing but some pointy wooden sticks.

As your nation has now proven it stands for independence and self-rule (irregardless of the consequences) perhaps taking back the colonies might be good for both nations.

If I'm forced to choose between one of two queens, I'll take Elizabeth the 2nd over Hillary the 1st.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey

There is that penal colony south of the equator.

Yesterday's Empires required physical colonization. Today's Empires require groundbreaking innovation. A People that created the Spitfire have too much soul to fail.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by War is Peace
As your nation has now proven it stands for independence and self-rule (irregardless of the consequences) perhaps taking back the colonies might be good for both nations.

If I'm forced to choose between one of two queens, I'll take Elizabeth the 2nd over Hillary the 1st.
Ah, you're talking of the 13 colonies, I mean who wants to go near Zimbabwe.

Perhaps Trump's support could be had in exchange for the Dukedom of Rutland.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by War is Peace

There's at least a dozen large cities in the USA I'd give them as sort of a consolation prize. Unfortunately they're all in about the same economic shape as Greece.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:23 AM
Quote:
I would also like to point out the presence of Trump in Scotland, which may or may not have skewed the results.
Trump arrived in Scotland after daylight today, the day after the vote.

Obama was in the UK in April where he proceeded to scold the British people for even considering to leave the EU. He told them that the British would have to get at the back of the line for any economic deals with the USA.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck
Just to be clear...

From the Brexit referendum just held, the majority of Scots voted to remain in the EU.

From the Scottish Independence referendum, the majority of Scottish voters opted to stay within the UK, at the time a member of the EU.

So if you were to now ask the Scots, do you want to stay with the UK now that they are leaving the EU? Do you think they would prefer to be part of the EU (which they just voted for), or remain with the UK?

We live in interesting times.

I would expect that a referendum on Scotland leaving the UK would result in another no vote returned. The reason being that with the price of oil so low (and unlikely to return to over $120/barrel in the next couple of years) the Scottish economy is in a very poor shape and "going it alone" will force huge cuts in welfare along with hikes in income tax.
The EU is unlikely to welcome us until we balance our books. Our books are far from balanced.
$120/barrel was the magic number during the referendum campaign. That's what the SNP was basing it's forecasts on for balancing the budget.
Independence at $50/barrel is too tough a sell. It's not just the tax revenue. It's the jobs that have been lost. The investment that hasn't happened for over a year. The investment that isn't happening now
It's simply the wrong time and unlikely to be the right time in the near future.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Trump arrived in Scotland after daylight today, the day after the vote.
He has a sphere of influence that preceeds him.

Besides he was there while they were counting......
Jun 24, 2016, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck
What the "Leave" people don't get is that if they want to trade with the EU, their products will have to conform to EU standards anyway.
EU standards are rubbish! Almost every piece of junk from china has a CE mark stamped on them wether they "conform" or not, nobody in reality
cares as long as the price is acceptable.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortato
I would expect that a referendum on Scotland leaving the UK would result in another no vote returned. The reason being that with the price of oil so low (and unlikely to return to over $120/barrel in the next couple of years) the Scottish economy is in a very poor shape and "going it alone" will force huge cuts in welfare along with hikes in income tax.
The EU is unlikely to welcome us until we balance our books. Our books are far from balanced.
$120/barrel was the magic number during the referendum campaign. That's what the SNP was basing it's forecasts on for balancing the budget.
Independence at $50/barrel is too tough a sell. It's not just the tax revenue. It's the jobs that have been lost. The investment that hasn't happened for over a year. The investment that isn't happening now
It's simply the wrong time and unlikely to be the right time in the near future.
Those calculations might change depending on how bad the economy in the rest of the UK gets.
Jun 24, 2016, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
EU standards are rubbish! Almost every piece of junk from china has a CE mark stamped on them wether they "conform" or not, nobody in reality
cares as long as the price is acceptable.
Surely the issue is not with the CE standard, but the Chinese cheating on their labeling their Junk as CE compliant?

Quick Reply