Horizon Hobby and E-flite's Radian XL is Available

The Radian XL motor glider has a flying horizontal stabilizer for better pitch control. The entire stabilizer rotates up or down to provide extra aerodynamic force. The result is a big glider with great pitch response at every speed.

Splash

Introduction

E-flite Radian XL 2.6m BNF-Basic (2 min 38 sec)

Wingspan: 102.40"
Wing Area: 946.45 sg in
Weight: 79.5 oz.
Length: 56.9"
Spoilers: Installed in the wing
Prop: 12 x 4 folding prop with spinner
Receiver: Spektrum™ AR636A 6-Channel Sport Receiver
Battery: 3200mAh 3S LiPo
Motor: BL 10 1250Kv
ESC: 40A with BEC
Manufacturer: e-FLITE
Available From: HORIZON hOBBY
Price: $229.99 BNF Basic

The original 2-meter Radian has introduce the fun of RC soaring to thousand. It flies so well it has been used in numerous electric competitions right out of the box and with some minor modifications performed even better for experienced pilots. Building on that success E-flit and Horizon Hobby has released a new larger version of the Radian with the Radian XL at 2.6m. Originally announced as becoming available in mid-July it is available now at Horizon Hobby and at hobby stores. However based on the price and the popularity of the original Radian I expect this plane will sell very well and if you want one know I wouldn't wait to buy yours. The giant E-Flite® Radian XL 2.6m motor glider stays true to its heritage with simple elevator/rudder/throttle while adding spoiler controls.

The Wing

The wing is Polyhedral and has outer panels that can be quickly attached or removed at the flying field to make storage and transportation easy. Even the full flying horizontal stabilizers can be quickly removed and installed at the field. The wing span is just over 8 1/2 feet (102 inches) tip to tip.

Brushless Power and Lightweight Construction with Z-Foam Material

This combination gives the model an impressive power-to-weight ratio that allows for great launch performance. The lightweight airframe is repairable foam if the worse happens and replacement parts are available. Climb to altitude and enjoy hunting for thermals. On good days of lift flying for over an hour with one battery should be readily possible. The Radian XL come with the Precision and Stability of AS3X® Technology built into its receiver.

Key Features

• Big and easy to fly
  • Efficient 2.6-meter polyhedral wing with fully-proportional spoilers
  • Full-Flying horizontal stabilizer for superb pitch control
  • Assembles and disassembles in minutes
  • Easy to transport and store
  • Powerful, efficient brushless motor
  • Constructed of durable, lightweight Z-Foam™ material
  • The precision and stability of AS3X® technology

Needed To Complete

• 5+ channel Spektrum™ DSMX®/DSM2® transmitter
  • 3S 3200mAh LiPo battery with an EC3™ connector and charger

Last edited by Michael Heer; Jun 23, 2016 at 05:24 PM..
Old Jun 24, 2016, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by FASSTFLIER
Fed-Ex should deliver one today. It was pre-ordered. Hope to fly it tomorrow.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Newman12

Go get yourself one!!!!

I got my pre-ordered one yesterday. I quickly assembled it after work and went out to fly it.

It was evening so thermal activity was lite and there was practically no wind - perfect for a maiden. I flew it with a 2200mah 3s battery and I got 4 good climbs at WOT. It glides forever and showed what little lift there was very well. I didn't feel that the AS3X affected the signaling of lift at all.

The only modification I made was to swap the plug on the esc to XT60 so it would work with my batteries, other than that I programmed it per the instructions for my DX8 and bound it, checked my CG (it wasn't too far off with the 2200 all the way forward) powered it up and flew it.

Its a great glider for the money. I had seen some reports and pictures that some people are getting theirs with the tail being twisted or warped and some others saying the ESC wasn't good but I think HH is addressing those issues pretty quickly so if you have a problem give then a call and I'm sure they will help you out.

I highly recommend this to anyone, just take a few minutes to assemble it, charge your battery and go fly it , no structural mods needed, you will love it. I plan on flying it in a local ALES contest next month.

John
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by FASSTFLIER
We have a lot of buzzards here in central Texas. So the plan is to have them show us where the thermals are and just use the motor when necessary.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by suman
I just flew my Radian XL today. All is can say is: INCREDIBLE ! It was ready to fly after about 30 minutes of assembly. It's a fantastic flier, and I cored out some weak early-morning thermals on the very first flight, enough to attract some buzzards. Out of the box, it flies like it's on rails. I was a bit skeptical about the weight at first, but the climb out and the glide proved my instincts wrong. A couple of clicks of up trim, and this plane did everything a thoroughbred glider should so: floated around gracefully, stood on a wing tip in turns, and indicated lift nicely.
In short: this is bound to become a classic. I think Horizon has another hit on its hands !

Another point: the price is unbeatable. A first class glider, with a smooth brushless motor, a 40 amp speed controller, servos, and a 6-channel AS3X receiver...shipped for $209 ! Can't beat that with a stick !

Suman
Lawrence KS
Old Jun 27, 2016, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
I bought one from the LHS today. I didn't have a Spektrum radio and they were out of the DX9 so I ordered that and some batteries today. I intend to fly in the local ALES contests with it. We shall see....
Old Jun 28, 2016, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I bought one from the LHS today. I didn't have a Spektrum radio and they were out of the DX9 so I ordered that and some batteries today. I intend to fly in the local ALES contests with it. We shall see....
Wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to just replace the RX with one that works with your existing radio? I know HH are keen to push AS3X on us all at every opportunity, but it can't be mandatory for a 2.6m RES soarer...

Personally I was thinking about one of these, but the high weight, QC and powertrain issues reported in the main thread have put me off - think I will go with a Mpx Heron instead.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 09:15 AM
Time for me to Fly...
It would have been but I fly Airtronics now and that company is just fading out of existence. I figured this was a good time to start migrating to another radio brand... It's going to be a slow and expensive process but at least I've now made the beginning investment for a reason besides just changing radio brands.
Old Jul 02, 2016, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by jacktrotter
SagittaXC
Nobody has it in stock...Decided to buy Micro Calyspo
Old Jul 06, 2016, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Nova - K
rcnova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrotter View Post
Nobody has it in stock...Decided to buy Micro Calyspo
Are you comparing a planes: one with a 24.6" wingspan and one with a 2.6m (102") wingspan (over 4 times larger)?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:52 AM
doz
Find More Posts by doz
doz
D.O.
Airtronics gear will eventually not be handled by Global Hobbies any more because the parent company is marketing on the net and doesn't need Global as the exclusive vendor. You should, however be able to continue to buy the equipment online anyway. The SD-10 programming is still miles ahead of any other approach IMHO. For pure soaring purposes, I don't think there's a better choice.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
Airtronics gear will eventually not be handled by Global Hobbies any more because the parent company is marketing on the net and doesn't need Global as the exclusive vendor. You should, however be able to continue to buy the equipment online anyway. The SD-10 programming is still miles ahead of any other approach IMHO. For pure soaring purposes, I don't think there's a better choice.
Have you tried OpenTX? Might sound too good to be true, but there really is nothing it can't do and it is uber flexible - for an example Mike see Shellim's 4 servo wing e-soarer setup (he also has F3J and F3F setups on there too). Incredible functionality at a bargainous price, though admittedly the TX hardware is only of average quality. Hopefully that will be addressed when (if?) the Horus finally emerges...
Last edited by MattyB; Jul 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Ceradinimp
Matthew Ceradini
Any thoughts on this being a serious ALES competition plane? It would be fantastic to be competitive at a contest for quarter of the price of the competing ships.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by Newman12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceradinimp View Post
Any thoughts on this being a serious ALES competition plane? It would be fantastic to be competitive at a contest for quarter of the price of the competing ships.

Actually I just flew mine in an ALES contest today. There were 11 pilots and I took 6th. It wasn't light wind and it wasn't heavy either just a nice breeze maybe about 5-10mph. Buuuuuut it's was my first ALES and only my 3rd time flying it. We were flying 7 minute flight times and my 3 best flights were 5m18s, 5m58s and 7m03s. Then I had two 3+minute and one 2+minute but there was a sink cycle during that round and nobody in my group did very well.

It did get to 150m in 30 seconds but just barely. There's no way a stock one will get you to 200m in 30 sec.

I think a better pilot would have done better in the contest I'm sure, plus I never got close to the landing tape because I can't spot land worth a spit...yet.

I love my R XL so I REALLY hate to say this but if I want it to be a competitive ship for ALES it's going to need a better motor/esc/prop combo.

But if ALES isn't your thing it's a great glider.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:10 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I like my RXL too but I think to truly be competitive it not only does it need a little more power but it needs flaps. It's just too hard to spot land. That said, flying in local ALES contests is what I bought for. I think it's probably a very good entry level plane for that.