Jun 22, 2016, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Question

Safety first (DJI Phantom 4?)

Hi all,

If someone is new to quads and wants a safe platform with a 4k camera that's ready to fly out of the box what would you recommend? It seems that the DJI Phantom 4 is the best drone for 4k camera, collision avoidance, and extremely stable that's ready to fly out of the box? Thanks for your input!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2016, 01:24 AM
Toy grade first, then worry about getting a 4k camera.

Priority should be learning to fly before putting anything in the air.
Jun 23, 2016, 07:36 AM
Fear only fear in life
The Phantom does a lot of the flying for you, all you really do is to push it around to aim the camera. Unfortunately bad things happen and then you have to be able to know how to fly. A $1200 quad is a bit expensive to learn how to fly, but it is your money and you can do as you please. it is advisable to buy a $50 - $100 quad to learn the ins and outs of flying.

Whatever you decide and whatever you end up with, good luck and safe flying
Jun 23, 2016, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Got it, thanks @Suteki

What would you recommend for someone with little to no RC or flight experience but wants a camera attached and not much to setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki View Post

Jun 23, 2016, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isofly View Post
Got it, thanks @Suteki

What would you recommend for someone with little to no RC or flight experience but wants a camera attached and not much to setup?
As Deidrik said, Phantom flies itself, which means its easy for anyone to get in the air, the problem is when things go wrong, thats when you need to be able to fly.

Learning to fly, I wouldnt be worried about one with a camera, even the toys with cameras are too expensive for my taste and the footage is bleh anyway.

I have a wltoys v222 i believe, I had it as a learner. Good flight time, good power and being around the 200 size it wasnt super twitchy like the nano sized stuff so it was a good learner too.

I also beat the snot out of the thing, still kicking after a few years, on the same props still too. Battery died an early death from charging at too high a C rate but eh, they are cheap.

Now, Id probably either go one of them again or consider one around the same size that also does acro (full manual) as Ive outgrown stabilised and now it annoys me to fly in that mode.
Jun 23, 2016, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki View Post

I started with Syma X5, X8 then Phantom 3.
Flying X8 for fun everyday, the Phantom for photo/video only when require.
Jun 29, 2016, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Sounds like a great progression, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum979 View Post
I started with Soma X5, X8 then Phantom 3.
Flying X8 for fun everyday, the Phantom for photo/video only when require.
Jun 29, 2016, 01:09 PM
personally I'd recommend used. You can get a pretty nice 450 class quad for 300 bucks (or less). It'll help you to learn to fly and how the electronics work so you can repair it. Already depreciated and your going to end up crashing it anyway.
Jun 29, 2016, 04:51 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by isofly View Post
Got it, thanks @Suteki

I recommend he doesn't even think about it. The planet is crawling with people just like that, and not too awful long ago the evening news was jammed with videos of these rocket scientists doing stupid stuff like shadowing fire fighting aircraft, buzzing round in restricted airspace, crashing on the White House Lawn, and crashing into crowds of people.

And, because John Q. Citizen screamed bloody murder, and the news media just wouldn't shut up about it, responsible pilots like myself have to register like we're some form of inter-galactic Xenomorph that is bent on the destruction of the universe.

My real point is, what you are talking about is not a toy. It is a complex aircraft that when placed in unskilled hands can be very dangerous.

So, do us and yourself a huge favor. Put you enthusiasm in stand-by and start reading.

Start here in this forum (which BTW I started to help beginners like yourself) and then move around in Multirotor Electronics, Multirotor Power Systems, and then take a wander over to the Radios forum.

Come back here with your questions and we'll be more than happy to help.
Jun 29, 2016, 05:05 PM
Definitely start with something small and work your way up. I started with a Cheerson CX-10 to get the basics down then my girlfriend got me a Sky Viper to fly outdoors. After I felt comfortable with LOS flying, I built my first 250 class quad.

Once you feel comfortable with flying, get yourself the Phantom and enjoy. As others have mentioned, it practically flies itself however you can take full control if something were to go wrong.
Jun 29, 2016, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer View Post
I recommend he doesn't even think about it. The planet is crawling with people just like that, and not too awful long ago the evening news was jammed with videos of these rocket scientists doing stupid stuff like shadowing fire fighting aircraft, buzzing round in restricted airspace, crashing on the White House Lawn, and crashing into crowds of people.

And, because John Q. Citizen screamed bloody murder, and the news media just wouldn't shut up about it, responsible pilots like myself have to register like we're some form of inter-galactic Xenomorph that is bent on the destruction of the universe.

My real point is, what you are talking about is not a toy. It is a complex aircraft that when placed in unskilled hands can be very dangerous.

So, do us and yourself a huge favor. Put you enthusiasm in stand-by and start reading.

Start here in this forum (which BTW I started to help beginners like yourself) and then move around in Multirotor Electronics, Multirotor Power Systems, and then take a wander over to the Radios forum.

Come back here with your questions and we'll be more than happy to help.
maybe a little harsh but your point is valid. been interested in quads for about 2.5 months and have spent many many hours (i.e. a couple hours a night watching videos on building, clean fight, base flight,, soldering, programming transmitters, failsafe etc) understanding the electronics behind quads. Flight time has been fairly limited since I spend most of the time bench testing before I go out. Have still had a lot of crashes LOS but in sparsely populated areas, i.e. empty park
Jun 30, 2016, 02:13 AM
Why are you not trying something like this if you are afraid of bying a expensive one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syma-X8W-Exp...IAAOSwLpdW81a-
Jun 30, 2016, 01:54 PM
If are getting the phantom 4 and dont really know how to fly then I would practice using the P4's flight simulator.
Jun 30, 2016, 01:57 PM
Its on the DJI Go App.
Last edited by Wgreen; Jun 30, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
Jul 01, 2016, 09:49 AM
From one newbie to another....

I am new to flying. I've been reading about and following the hobby for several years now. My first "flyer" was an AirHogs micro heli a few years ago.

After a lot of reading and talking (bugging the hell out of) my local hobby store, I went with the Dromida Verso. For $40 and lots of cheap replacement parts, it's a great first time flyer. It's definitely not as easy as it looks. I've been flying this for a couple weeks and found a used Chroma 4k on these groups that will be my first camera drone.

I still don't plan on doing a lot except use it to learn. Most of my flights the first year will be with the Verso. I'm just working on hovering in a fixed spot in different conditions, inside and out, especially in windy conditions (NOT EASY!!!), as well as small front back and side-to-side movements, and gradually I'm working on gaining confidence in keeping control while rotating the craft while coming at me. There's nothing quite as unsettling as getting your mind wrapped around the controls working the opposite you expect. With quad's and their "elusive" direction you must be on point at all times.

I will immediately start doing the same with the Chroma. It will be short flights just a few feet off the ground learning to hover in different conditions and then moving up to small movements and then getting comfortable with flying it while coming at me.

One of the things I took note of was Savage's Inspire 1 YouTube video's relating to keeping a recorded account of all your flights and their conditions. I found an app that would do a lot of that for me, but I got that today and am going to even start recording my Verso flights to have a better understanding of what I'm flying in over time.

Quick Reply