Jun 22, 2016, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What happen to "Smart Gun " technology ?

I remember a bunch of hype about Smart Guns ..... where they at ?
http://www.fastcompany.com/3054710/m...lled-smart-gun
Jun 22, 2016, 12:56 PM
Lack of interest by gun owners and potential buyers.
Jun 22, 2016, 12:59 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Insane liability
Jun 22, 2016, 01:00 PM
AustinTatious
There are really so many possibilities with todays tech...

The token idea is a good one. I also think that electronic discharge is worth looking into....

For instance, the safety becomes a switch that turns on the firearm when move away from the SAFE position. From there the trigger creep moves a contact to the center of the round. The rounds are made so that a significant electrical discharge sets off the charge.

This would make the firearm VERY safe and allow the smoothest trigger pull possible. The batteries could even be integrated into the magazine so that they could be charged separately from the firearm and with each mag change you get fresh batteries.

Obvious issues would be making the rounds safe from small inadvertent static discharge and making good contacts at all places that will not fail, possibly even making redundant contacts.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:06 PM
The same thing that happened to personal Jet packs and flying cars. Pig with lipstick.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:07 PM
Gun buyers are smart enough to know that smart guns are a dumb idea.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:17 PM
KK4NOP
I'll argue the NRA has allot to do with smart gun technology not making it to market. Also, the shear stupidity of people, making death threats to a MD gun shop owner that wanted to sell a smart gun, is staggering.

NJ didn't help things by passing legislation that stated once smart gun technology was in the market, they would be the only firearms allowed to be sold in the state. Not sure if that has now been repealed.

There are several technologies that are proven to work reliably. Why they aren't for sale? I'm guess point number 1 has allot to do with it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/smart-guns/
Jun 22, 2016, 01:22 PM
Tu ne cede malis
insane liability
Jun 22, 2016, 01:26 PM
Thread OP
Saw this set up on the new ViceLand tv channel . Vary smart Rifle .
500 Yard No-Look Rifle Shot With Android Using TrackingPoint Shotview (1 min 28 sec)
Jun 22, 2016, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
more stuff on tracking point
The Gun That Aims Itself (Documentary) (23 min 57 sec)
Jun 22, 2016, 01:27 PM
KK4NOP
I don't believe people should be forced to buy a smart gun, but they should be on the shelves for sale.

You have every right to drive an old car without seatbelts and airbags right?

Lots of videos on youtube about smart guns.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I don't believe people should be forced to buy a smart gun, but they should be on the shelves for sale.

You have every right to drive an old car without seatbelts and airbags right?

Lots of videos on youtube about smart guns.
Mmmmmmm........
Jun 22, 2016, 01:30 PM
Tu ne cede malis
yup. but unfortunately, the never ending war on firearm ownership has made it extremely clear the level of trust and self restraint we can expect from govt on this issue..

Less than zero. And recognizing this fact is perfectly objective from a pragmatic point of view. Our system is essentially lawless and untrustworthy now.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:39 PM
KK4NOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
yup. but unfortunately, the never ending war on firearm ownership has made it extremely clear the level of trust and self restraint we can expect from govt on this issue..

Less than zero. And recognizing this fact is perfectly objective from a pragmatic point of view. Our system is essentially lawless and untrustworthy now.
As I said, I'm not for the government mandating that smart guns be sold. Given that, what is the problem with letting the market decide without intervention from gun rights advocates?
Jun 22, 2016, 01:43 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
As I said, I'm not for the government mandating that smart guns be sold. Given that, what is the problem with letting the market decide without intervention from gun rights advocates?
The market has decided.

No one is preventing a vender from bringing said product to market ... there just isn't a market yet.

Quick Reply