Jun 22, 2016, 01:54 AM
Thread OP
New Product

HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht exclusive to HobbyKing

Today we've launched the HydroPro Affinity RG65 class legal racing yacht.

As a perfect introduction to R/C Yacht Racing the HydroPro Affinity RG65 Class Racing Yacht is hard to beat!

The HydroPro Affinity stands out from its closest competitors by including 2 complete racing rigs with mylar sails at a fraction of the cost of lesser optioned boats.

Quick and easy to assemble, the Affinity will have you on the water for some close, competitive racing or relaxing cruising in no time, with a performance that will satisfy even the most discerning RC Yacht Skipper.

The Affinity uses a sophisticated hull design and built-in rig 'tuning' allowing it to be competitive in a wide range of wind conditions making it ideal for class racing, one design racing or general sailing. It makes a great choice for a group of experienced skippers and novices alike and will be fully supported with spare parts and accessories
HydroPro Affinity RG65, Sail to Race…..Race to Win!

Features:
• RG65 Class Legal
• Integrated bow bumper
• Pre Applied Graphics
• 2 Complete Rigs
• Mylar Racing Sails
• Carbon Fibre Masts and Booms
• Zinc Alloy Ballast and Aluminium Fin
• Powerful Sail Winch
• Metal Geared Rudder Servo
• Pre-installed Battery Box and On/Off Switch
• Display Stand

HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht - HobbyKing Product Video (2 min 16 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2016, 08:07 AM
Great Looking Boat !
Nice price too.
Jun 22, 2016, 09:51 AM
Boomer1

Duplicate topic

John
FYI - We already have a discussion/thread established on the Affinity. Suggest you consider adding your comments there .
Lots of attention to this boat in just a few days of being posted.
Thanks
Boomer
Jun 22, 2016, 10:33 AM
Plug and play without radio price is $128.80 US, includes two rigs with mylar sails. Looks like exact same materials, keel, rudder and rigs as Dragon Force with aftermarket type sails. Only difference seems to be hull design. Looks like another great alternative entry level race boat. Congrats to Joysway.
Jun 22, 2016, 10:58 AM
Just checked shipping $40 gets it to Maryland. That's All in at $162.00 US
Jun 22, 2016, 11:26 AM
There was another thread. Seems to be gone now?

HobbyKing John - help me understand Joysway's business model here? They have a good thing going with the DF65, and a good beginning to a decent brand associated with decent-sailing boats that have the Dragon name (ignoring the Force2-60 for the moment). With good distribution (which appears to have been happening) this could really develop into a dominant brand in RC sailing.

With the Affinity, Joysway is cannibalizing their own business by undercutting themselves. What gives?
Jun 22, 2016, 12:23 PM
Nice to have a white hull to start out with. Will make it easier to paint yellow!

Maybe a late fathers day gift to myself.

AB
Jun 22, 2016, 12:37 PM
Boomer1
Crunchy
It is still there/here it was on page 2 - back up front currently
Boomer
Jun 22, 2016, 01:52 PM
I don't think Joysway and Hobbyking are cannibalizing their own business, Rather, they are making r/c sail racing even more affordable for even more people. Thanks to the gang of three, the manufacturing and design issues are being worked out on the DF65 and the benefits of those efforts are being passed down in this new boat at a lower price! The Dragon Force was marketed as being competitive with boats ten times the price, selling the Affinity today at a lower price with two rigs than the DF will hopefully produce even more growth. I can't wait to see what Hobbyking and Joysway have in the pipeline for a larger DragonFlite95 successor. Maybe a hull designed by Brad Gibson or Graham Bantock with two rigs for under $300!!!
Jun 22, 2016, 09:29 PM
Thread OP

RE Affinity

@ Crunchy Frog,

Firstly love the sail number (09) on your image, all my yachts have been numbered 09 including my own design IOM's (Maximuss and Maximuss V2) over the years

Secondly re your comment on "Business Model" we basically listened and sought feedback from a number of different RG65 communities around the world and came up with a race ready RG65 at the price point that people were prepared to pay. One other main concern was that clubs wanted a race ready boat that could be sailed in RG65 Classes, or a One Design Class or General Mixed Fleet handicap scenarios, something that prospective new club members could purchase one day and have on eh water the next. In the past clubs would lose a lot of prospective new members with for example the Soling One Meter class due to the build issue/time to build, it would discourage someone who perhaps did not have the skills needed or the time to build a yacht, they just wanted to get on the water and start racing. This mirrors the RC plane market with the advent of Ready to Fly Foamie's getting people in the air quickly.

Lots more in the pipeline so stay tuned.
Jun 23, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the reply, although I still don't understand. Every point you made could be made (and has been made) for the DF65. By introducing this boat, Joysway is now competing with itself.

Moreover, Joysway has now undercut its existing distributors and dealers of the DF65. And (I admit, this is an assumption) taken the input of the gang-of-three that made the DF65 so successful and applied it to a competing boat where they probably won't have to pay royalty fees. That's not exactly best business practice.

Most importantly for RC sailing in general, there is the potential to dilute the fleets of entry-level racing boats. This hurts the sport of RC sailing by introducing a significant potential to hinder growth. I find it to be short-term-profit thinking on Joysway's part.

John I understand you represent Hobby King, not Joysway. So your job is to sell these boats, which is fine. I just lost a lot of respect for Joysway over this.
Jun 23, 2016, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Corbett;35086556] The Dragon Force was marketed as being competitive with boats ten times the price,

Tom the DragonForce was never marketed as a competitive RG65 let alone against a full on carbon RG65. The intention was always a restricted/one design,the RG65 link came about due to timescales which only allowed an existing design to be used as the basis for production. Mark Dicks Ice design fit the bill perfectly and has priduced a great production one design. This is all fully documented within this forum and other online sources.

The DragonForce has been a success in both format's and in the UK can be seen to revitalised the RG65 with all the DF65 team sailing within the RG65 class with top designs.
Jun 23, 2016, 05:11 PM
Thread OP

RE DF65 and Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog
Thanks for the reply, although I still don't understand. Every point you made could be made (and has been made) for the DF65. By introducing this boat, Joysway is now competing with itself.

Moreover, Joysway has now undercut its existing distributors and dealers of the DF65. And (I admit, this is an assumption) taken the input of the gang-of-three that made the DF65 so successful and applied it to a competing boat where they probably won't have to pay royalty fees. That's not exactly best business practice.

Most importantly for RC sailing in general, there is the potential to dilute the fleets of entry-level racing boats. This hurts the sport of RC sailing by introducing a significant potential to hinder growth. I find it to be short-term-profit thinking on Joysway's part.

John I understand you represent Hobby King, not Joysway. So your job is to sell these boats, which is fine. I just lost a lot of respect for Joysway over this.
I seem to remember the same types of comments being levelled at the DF65 when it first came out and a possible negative impact it was going to have on the RG65 class but this never materialised, if anything it was a success story for RC Yachting.

It's sort of like saying a new IOM design is going to dilute the class? A new design or offering usually has the opposite effect. A new RG65 at an entry level price point is only going to benefit the class .

RE the dilution of entry level fleets across the globe. New boats come and go all the time. The same arguments were put forward by the 4 major class skippers when the Soling One Meter came on line at club level in the 1990's, but all it did in reality was to drive up club memberships. The club that I started many years ago went from a handful of members to 60 plus in a space of several months and a large percentage of these new skippers sailing Solings went on to the other major classes thereby bolstering their falling numbers as well.

The Affinity will not dilute entry level classes but bolster them as well as make it more financially possible for people to enter club level RG65 classes with a boat that is race ready without having to purchase any after market rigs etc, and the ability to source spares as required at the right price.

As I said earlier it's all academic, the market dictates what it wants, it spoke, we listened and responded accordingly. Every club I've visited with the Affinity thus far has been all over it and once they find out the price they are tripping over themselves to get their wallets out.

One thing I have noticed in my travels is that price is the main deciding factor at the moment for a vast range of retail goods including hobby based products, whereby ten years ago it wasn't as important, people are feeling the pinch financially all over the globe, if this was not the case then there would be no Hyundai, Aldi, Cosco etc....

HobbyKing will continue to support it's millions of customers by sourcing the best possible products and offering at the most competitive prices.

More Yachts to follow...stay tuned guys.
Jun 23, 2016, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing John
A new RG65 at an entry level price point is only going to benefit the class.
I get your points. And I agree that this could benefit, and certainly won't hurt, the RG65 class. But it will not benefit the DF65 class, and I suggest it will probably hurt it.

Quote:
More Yachts to follow...stay tuned guys.
So Affinity 95 then? For $299 to undercut the DF95?
Jun 23, 2016, 05:46 PM
Buzz-- I took that line from the website of the Dragon Force North American distributor. It currently says "With sleek lines and competition developed components, the Dragon Force 65 is a race performer and is competitive against sailboats that are ten times the price."
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Jun 23, 2016 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply