Jun 21, 2016, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spider Wire fishing line

Has anyone tried this Spider Wire fishing line with small U/C models?
Thanks
john
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2016, 03:13 PM
In my area it's about all that people use. I prefer Power-Pro brand, comes in yellow and is easy to see on the ground. It is AMA legal in combat and most sport flying with the appropriate strength
Jun 21, 2016, 11:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks flyelectcl .
I tried the non steel lines many years ago for small models and found the slight "stretch" in the lines not good. I then used the steel lines and found them to be much better.
So, it's nice to know that the "new stuff" is working out ok.
John
Jul 15, 2016, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyelectcl
In my area it's about all that people use. I prefer Power-Pro brand, comes in yellow and is easy to see on the ground. It is AMA legal in combat and most sport flying with the appropriate strength
What breaking strain do you use? What line length are you using ?
Thanks Neil
Jul 18, 2016, 03:21 PM
What size plane? .049? .15?

I have used 30lb on my .049 planes with great results. Probably overkill, but there is very little chance of breakage. You could probably use 20lb and have 0 issues.
Jul 20, 2016, 06:34 PM
For 1/2A planes, I use 10# Spectra. Never had a problem. Most of my planes are around 4-5 ounces. 10# test x 2 equals 20 pounds test for both lines. But even if you had the bellcrank fully up or down and just one line had all the force, it's still 10 pounds, or 160 ounces test. 160/5=32. That's more than enough of a safety factor. I don't even need to try to figure out what the centrifugal force would be on a 1/2A sport plane.

If you look online at the AMA website for the CL handbook, it lists pull test vs. airplane size. But, use whatever really makes you comfortable.

Mark

Quick Reply