Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by randall_l, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 21, 2016, 09:12 AM
Just here for the pie.
randall_l's Avatar
Thread OP

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Had a great weekend for RC.

On Saturday, I went to the park before my wife and daughter woke up for some Green Dog and Versus goodness. I hadn't fully secured the new vertical tail on the Versus so I could still do some manual trimming if needed. Turns out that it was a good thing as the tail came off, rather than snap in half. Darned long grass.

Later on, my daughter wanted to go to the park, so off we went. I got a few tosses on the mini-ELF and the Green Dog, but the weather was turning.

Sunday morning everything was wet from rain during the night, so I opted to save my shoes and socks from getting soaked. The clouds were clearing so I figured I'd get out in the afternoon after things dried up a bit.

Instead, we decided to go up to Barnes Lake for a picnic lunch. I'm glad I've got 4 chargers now, so it wasn't a problem getting all the packs I wanted charged in time.

I packed up the Aquaholic, Mini Trooper, Monsoon and Feiyu Tech FT009 (brushless). I meant to take the Swamp Dawg, but somehow forgot it.

We borrowed the in-laws canoe for the summer and strapped that to the roof as well. Off we went to the lake.

First thing was lunch. We tried out the new Coleman camp stove we bought for our summer excursions. I had expected it to be like pretty much every other camp stove I've seen--a circle of blue flame around the burner. But, there were no flames at all, just heat--weird.

After lunch, we decided to try out the canoe. It's a RAM-X Explorer 14.6 DLX. I'd never heard of the name before so Googled it. From what I found it was super unstable, not at all suitable for anything other than carrying gear behind a real canoe--and it is super unstable. It took everything we had to keep it upright on our trip across the lake and back. I should have just bought a canoe--at least then I'd know it was a good one. Never going in that thing again.

I ran through a couple batteries on the Aquaholic, until the wind picked up and made the water a bit too choppy for zipping around. Then, I switched to the Monsoon. I sat in the end of the canoe and had my wife push me out enough to launch the Monsoon, then in again so I didn't float away. I need to practice my sail control, but the Monsoon sails easy enough. My daughter liked watching it as much as I did.

On the 4th run (I kept bringing it back to check for water since this was it's first time in the drink), the canoe shifted and in the lake I went. The water was shallow and warmer than the air, but that didn't reduce the shock. Wearing a life jacket in this case was more detrimental than helpful. The darned think kept me floating just enough that I couldn't get a foothold. So, here I was in water maybe 18" deep, like a turtle on its back--sure, it's funny now.

On the way in the water, I bounced my ribs and right elbow off some rocks. My elbow hit so hard, the power switch on my Taranis got turned off. It was probably a good thing, as the bottom half of it was in the water. Happy Father's Day!

We packed up and went home. Bless my wife for thinking to bring a change of clothes!

During the evening and overnight, the consequences of the incident set in. I had taken a hot massaging shower before bed and kept up on Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, but that didn't stop me from being in enough pain to prevent a good nights' sleep. In the morning, I couldn't get out of bed without help, so I stayed home from work.

Things gradually improved throughout the day and by after-dinner time, I could walk without looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. With a combination of compressed air, some WD-40 on switches and pots and some rice, the Taranis was dried out. I put it back together (I had even removed the CMOS battery) and powered it on--it's ALIVE!!!

I worked through a battery on the Mini Trooper before a post-dinner walk. Afterwards, I tried out the HK BAT-1 since the wind had picked up. Similar to the Monsoon, I need to work on sail management. I also need to add more length to the servo arm--there's not quite enough throw for the sail. It's actually easier to sail the Monsoon than it is the BAT-1. At least with the Monsoon, if I get in-irons, I can turn the rudder and eventually drift out. With the BAT-1, if I underestimate the speed I need to swing around on a tack and end up in-irons, I have to walk over and nudge it out.

Looking back on it, even with the unintended dip and resulting discomfort, this was the best Father's Day ever!

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply
Thread Tools