Jun 20, 2016, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Eachine Racer 250 Vs Falcon 250 for FPV newb!?

Hi, I've been flying toy grade quads for over a year now, I got the Tarantula X6 at Christmas which I was very happy with but I've already got bored with by now. I enjoy my freestyle flight and want to get into flying FPV quads. I want something more aggressive that's gonna last longer than the cheap plastic toy grades which break so easily. Also the wind is a problem here which is why I'm not looking at a smaller frame size.

So after looking into brushless FPV quads I found the Eachine Racer 250 and others and after research decided I was gonna get this one. I've only only got a very low budget so I want something I can upgrade later rather than buy a whole new quad again. I've already got a charger and bought the Flysky FS-TH9x and am getting the hang of flying acro on Freerider simulator.

SO I was quite happy with this selection (not bought quad yet) until I saw the Rotor Riot guys review of the Racer and the video comments! Now I'm not so sure if this is the way to go or not and I found out that Banggood have a special offer on the Eachine Falcon 250 and it's just 10 ($17?) more than the racer for the next few days!

The Falcon seems to have better components and be more upgradable, the Racer seems a bit better for FPV newbies but I don't want to be stuck where I'm bored and can't upgrade it! My thinking is I can always program lower rates into the FC for either until I get more practice flying.

SO for my situation, which would you guys recommend? Or would you choose something different? Please bear in mind I can't afford much more than around $150 BNF/ARF and although I can solder wires together I would probably more likely blow my components if I tried to build my own quad!

Thanks in advance
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2016, 02:45 PM
PuffyClouds, BriteEyez, Honey
for 150 you and build a 450 size I think.
s500 frame for about 25 dollars
30a ESCs for around 17 dollars
APM 2.8 for around 35 dollars
Eachine CCD 600mw camera/transmitter for around 35 dollars
mars power 920kv motors for around 35 dollars
4s battery for around 25-38 dollars
So that can be done if you order it all from aliexpress and banggood. I've built 5 of them already and they works great. You can prolly build a equally inexpensive 250 size, I would recommend the ocday bat warrior frame cause it has this section in the center that's covered where you can hide all the wires and craps. I got that one coming in the mail. Also the diatone 250 ghost is cool for night flying. I just built one of those and posted it on my other thread.

Don't be afraid to "build" one yourself cause the only soldering you gotta do is soldering the bullet connectors on wires or the motor wires to the ESCs and if you get the right kind of ESCs like the Kingkong 12a bhheli ones that have the tabs right in front it'll be super easy. and after that it's just plugging everything together and using double sided tape and tip tieing the stuff the frame.
Jun 20, 2016, 02:51 PM
I have both of those machines and they both work well...If you are not able to solder you will be pretty much stuck with whatever you get. In order to do any upgrades you will most likely need to be able to solder...

If you are going to be in this hobby you pretty much need to learn to solder or just buy arf stuff which will limit you.

Sorry if that answer does not help you much...
Jun 20, 2016, 03:12 PM
Soldering is just holding the hot tip to the wire on top of some solder and it'll melt and the wire will sink into the solder then you're done.
Jun 20, 2016, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
Cool, I'll probably get better at the soldering unless it's really tiny.
There's always lots of things that don't work at first, so to start with i'd like to get a RTF model (just plugging in and binding TX etc) and then I can learn slowly and upgrade and tune things as I feel the need. I'm sure I could manage to do basic tuning and FC set up as there is a lot of info on this out there (I've read some of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick
I have both of those machines and they both work well...
You're in a great position to give me a comparison chicagoslick!!
So is the racer quite upgradable, or somewhat limited? Is falcon a better frame? Could someone with low acro experience fly a falcon on low rates? How about crash proof?
I'd love to hear from you. Thanks
Jun 20, 2016, 05:00 PM
I think the eachine is wayyyy cuter so I'd get that one. just order more propellers with it. you can get a big pack of them on amazon.. Also when setting it up in clean flight you might wanna set the max angle to like 30 degrees or something so it's not as fast and hard to control. I ususally set all my copters from 20 degrees to 35 degrees max instead of the usual 45 or 50 it comes by default.

Will you be getting the one that comes with the monitor or just the copter?
Jun 20, 2016, 05:04 PM
I personally would just wait and save up about double how much you need. If you have 150 dollars, and spend just about all that on just the quad, 1 you won't be able to fly fpv because the racer nor falcon come with a screen or video receiver. 2nd you are gonna need lots of props, and also a replacement esc or motor to have on hand. You will crash and break stuff.
Jun 20, 2016, 05:56 PM
you can get a cheap receiver for like 15 dollars or so then get a ezcap that will plut into it and the other end plugs into your phone or tablet or computer and it will let you view using your phone. the ezcap costs like 14 dollars or something. That's how I started out but then got tired of the extra wires so I just got a eachine monitor off banggood it was only 60 dollars.
Jun 20, 2016, 05:57 PM
but if you wanna just get the eachine camera/transmitter off banggood and find a cheap ezcap to turn your phone into a monitor it'll only cost around 50 dollars total prolly
Jun 21, 2016, 07:49 AM
I would go with the Falcon as it is a little bit more crash proof. It will take more of a beating, which you will put it through...As stingeragents states, you will need to spend more to get into FPV (glasses, goggles, screen, etc)...If you have not flown FPV with a racer quad then I would recommend fly line of site until you are real comfortable with it.

Note:
I always recommend buying kits / sourcing a kit and building them. This way you know how it goes together and once you crash and damage something you know how to fix it.

best of luck...
Jun 21, 2016, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick
I would go with the Falcon as it is a little bit more crash proof. It will take more of a beating, which you will put it through...As stingeragents states, you will need to spend more to get into FPV (glasses, goggles, screen, etc)...If you have not flown FPV with a racer quad then I would recommend fly line of site until you are real comfortable with it.

Note:
I always recommend buying kits / sourcing a kit and building them. This way you know how it goes together and once you crash and damage something you know how to fix it.

best of luck...
Yes the plan is to get a monitor with/or as well as the quad. (Either the Racer with monitor or buy the same monitor separately if I buy the Falcon.) That way I can learn FPV and still be able to spot as necessary. I can always get Goggles in the future when I can afford a good pair. I can also fly LOS with a monitor and switch to FPV when comfortable.

Yeah hokicake, while I'm fond of the Racer having done most my research on that, I'm leaning towards the Falcon now because it looks more easily upgradable and as chicagoslick says, it will take a beating. I saw the Racers arms can break easily in beginner style crashes!

chicagoslick What sort of kits are you referring to? How much do they cost? I've not seen any kits, only frames and you still have to buy ESC motors, FC etc individually...

stingeragents I knew I would have to get lots of props and maybe even an arm or two. But how often do brushless motors and ESCs break? I've never used them before but didn't expect them to break very often. I guess an ESC may go if you don't cut the throttle and the prop is fouled up?

Thanks for everyones help so far.
Last edited by marioman_1982; Jun 21, 2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: incomplete
Jun 21, 2016, 05:32 PM
but I think replacement arms are much cheaper than carbon fiber arms if they are even just the arms and not part of the entire body on the falcon. If it's just not the arm you can replace it'll be such a headache.
Jun 21, 2016, 07:00 PM
The Falcon for sure, the Racer is rather passe now with it's non-standard build/parts approach.

Quote:
I can also fly LOS with a monitor and switch to FPV when comfortable.
Nah. Having a screen is nice, but you will never learn to fly FPV with one. Get you get some goggles... period. I wouldn't get a screen for the Falcon, put the $ into some of the Eachine googles. They have 3 price points now.
Jun 21, 2016, 07:17 PM
I fly fpv using a screen with no problems. A lot of people prefer a screen to be able to also look at it in the sky as well. I'd say goggles is more of a hindrance since it blinds you from everything else.

Quick Reply