ReadyMadeRC Nano Skyhunter - RCGroups Unboxing Review

The Nano Skyhunter is the third in this series of haul-all FPV workhorses. Join editor Matt Gunn as he gently removes this baby from it's cradle.

ReadyMadeRC Nano Skyhunter - RCGroups Unboxing Review

The Skyhunter Goes Nano!

The Nano Skyhunter made it's debut at the Pecan Patch FPV event this year, and editor Jason Cole was quick to get the first look at this pint-sized utilitarian airframe. See Jason's report HERE. Now that I've got one in my hands, I'd like to offer you a quick unboxing video and photos before I get started with the FPV build.

For the upcoming build, I'll be using the Runcam Swift camera, ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8Ghz transmitter, and an ImmersionRC EZOSD. Flight control will be 2.4GHz Futaba 14SG, and I have not figured out what sized 3s LiPo I'll be running... somewhere between a 1300mAh and 2200mAh. Enjoy the video and stay tuned for the build and flight review!

Video Unboxing

RMRC Nano Skyhunter Unboxing RCGroups Review (12 min 8 sec)

Photos

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jun 20, 2016 at 01:30 PM..
Jun 20, 2016, 01:39 PM
FRIST ! cant wait to fly one my self
Jun 20, 2016, 01:45 PM
Guess Who's Back? :D
ships in 2 boxes... the flying giants guys will dig that.
Jun 20, 2016, 02:25 PM
Taking care of business
Maiden flight last weekend on mine...flies awesome!
Tonight all the fpv stuff goes in so the fun can begin!
Jun 20, 2016, 02:28 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-Jazz
Maiden flight last weekend on mine...flies awesome!
Tonight all the fpv stuff goes in so the fun can begin!
What Battery?
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Jun 20, 2016, 02:28 PM
Taking care of business
1300 3s 35c. I also switched to a 5x5x3 gem fan prop...
Jun 20, 2016, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Cool. did you fly it on the stock prop?
Jun 20, 2016, 02:46 PM
Taking care of business
Yes. I flew one at the Pecan Patch meet with stock prop. I like the 3 blade cause I have a ton of em in the flight bag...
Jun 20, 2016, 02:51 PM
I flew one LoS at Colorado FPV meet this weekend with a 3S 1500 in it on stock prop (at 9000ft elevation), and if the battery was anywhere under the front battery strap, it flew
nose heavy (something I'm very sensitive to as a sailplane pilot).
Elevator response was mushy (really big turns and loops even at full throws)
and wanted to pull up a lot at high speeds, and drop the nose at low. We moved the pack
back behind the strap until it hit the tray (which was probably back as far as it would go),
lowered the elevator rates a bit and that made it fly better, but I suspect the CG could go
back even further, with elevator rates lowered appropriately (often people
are afraid to move the CG back to optimal because it gets pitchy when they don't
bother to lower the elevator rates appropriately). Adding the FPV gear will move the
CG forward again, so it's going to be a bit trickier to balance unless you can jam the
battery back under the tray. Adding balancing weight to the tail might work too, but is
less desirable option.

Other than that, it flew ok. Tracks fairly straight even in bumpy air.
None of the nasty tip stall tendencies of the Mini.
It's quite durable.
Jun 20, 2016, 05:41 PM
no rudder?
Jun 20, 2016, 05:45 PM
Not needed.
Jun 20, 2016, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819
no rudder?
Correct. None of the Skyhunters have rudders and none of them need it.
Jun 20, 2016, 06:44 PM

I won a nano SH at the colorado fpv meet last weekend, and built it while I was there. Goop worked great on the joints. They did need to be sanded to remove the slick layer. I also painted the wing tips orange, but it doesnt stay super well. The wings may need to be sanded before the spray paint is added.

It flies nicely with the cg on the elevator servo wire slot, but it is still nose heavy. I will be bringing the battery further back like Daemon had talked about.
With a 3s 1500, it has plenty of power with the stock setup(2204 2200kV on 6*3 prop. Moving to a bigger motor/4s is unnecessary. It is also fairly efficient, but I won't know the exact cruise watts needed until I have FPV added.

It handled wing and turbulence well until a huge gust caused an unexpected stall while flying very low to the ground. There was minor damage to the fuse from a 20 foot dive. But after another flight of trying to induce stalls, I do not think it was the airframe's fault, and found the stall characteristics with my current CG very predictable and obvious. It never dropped a wing unless I forced it to.

I plan to fly the stock setup for a while because going to 4s means a new ESC and an additional wing spar.

More info like control throws and optimal CG will be posted soon!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Rfriedman; Jun 20, 2016 at 07:08 PM.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:51 PM
Any chance you can give us the all up weight and weight without the battery?
Jun 20, 2016, 10:48 PM
Weights.
Airframe with stock servos, motor, esc, rangelink 8ch RX: 255g
LOS AUW with 3s 45C 1300 nanotech: 374.8g
FPV AUW with runcam owl and FX668T: 401.6

Now running the CG halfway between the servo wire channels. Maybe 1/4" behind the bumps. Flying with less up-trim, but it still pulls up the same in a dive test. Flies inverted a bit better, but it still feels nose heavy and sluggish in pitch. Pulling full up elevator causes the plane to oscillate and make lots of noise, but never drops a wing. I had this happen to my Skywalker T-tail when pulling up too hard at low speed and high throttle.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Rfriedman; Jun 20, 2016 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply