Old Jul 08, 2019, 04:58 AM
credible0
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Jul 08, 2019, 04:44 PM
Great questions and answers, I go as light as I dare as it's easy enough to add weight but I have come a cropper on a few occasions with parts not being strong enough.

I only got one flight on her yesterday but managed to get a few rolls and loops in. From the Q&A, I reckon that she is over-powered, not by much to be fair but she will go round a reasonably large loop without too much difficulty - for reference, she peaks out at 800w and weighs 7.5lb. I guess that the easy option is to feign a shallow dive and use less throttle. She rolls easily enough but I didn't manage a particularly pretty one as I didn't quite get hold of the adverse yaw. There was't much wind so the conditions weren't testing.

Embarrassingly, (having bragged about how easy she is to land) I bungled the landing and broke a wheel and an inter-planer strut. There was no other damage and the 'R' clips stayed clipped in so she seems to be durable enough to handle the rigors of my flying. Give her another dozen flights and I'll have the confidence to recommend her to others.
Jul 09, 2019, 01:20 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Who needs both wheels? The real one's made do with one......quite often aswell, from the pictures I have seen....

One little tid-bit I happened to read once upon a midnight dreary....both wheels were attached with the same bolts, left and right. Both had standard threads. Nothing too serious you might say.......until logic kicks in. The British Air Ministry DEMANDED an explanation as to WHY the left wheels would fall off after 4-5 flights.....AHA !! says one clever engineer, and the bolts got left hand threads....suddenly, both wheels remained where they were meant to be during both takeoff and landing....seems it's helpful when they don't undo themselves in use.
Last edited by Azoic; Jul 09, 2019 at 01:33 AM.
Jul 09, 2019, 06:59 PM
But Honey, It was on sale
BST999, Congrats on the maiden, That looked Majestic in the air! Well done!, And Azoic, Thanks for all your new info, I am always learning from you, And as far as the Left wheel Dilemma, I have three planes that have a straight axle, With right hand threads on both sides, First time I lost a wheel was on a Starmax (Hobbyking) J3 Cub US Army Version, I flew that plane a good 12 times or so, Then one day on landing the Left wheel came off on rollout, The plane came to an instant stop, The wheel continued on down the field, Upon Inspection is when I discovered as to why the wheel fell off, I took everything home with minimal damage, And put a dab of glue on a new end nut, So it won't spin off, Plane has been fine ever since, And made sure my other planes wheels were secure as well, And this Camel has the same type of straight axle, So Make Sure you Pay Attention To That Left Wheel!
Jul 09, 2019, 09:05 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
All good Len.....I working on a wheelless version now........I can't find a single picture of a Camel on floats though....Maybe if I keep one eye closed, and hold my tongue at JUST the right angle, it MIGHT pass for being on ski's.....VERY BIG, VERY FAT ski's.......but if I sprinkle some crushed ice up and down the runway aswell.....I might get away with it.
Jul 10, 2019, 02:55 PM
But Honey, It was on sale
Duh, Sorry I need to correct my last post, My Starmax J3 cub does not have a straight axle, It has
proper cub type bungee gear with plastic screw on wheel covers, and the Left one un-spun itself, (being a right hand thread) And the wheel came off, I lost the wheel cover being green on a grass field, (Never did find the little bugger). I put a small locking nut on that side, with a dab of glue . And made a wheel cover(hubcap) out of a lid from some cheese dip, painted green, Glued it on and we been good ever since. Sorry, I am getting old, But the Left wheel thing still applies here.
Jul 10, 2019, 10:05 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
It's all good, we are getting old. I dread the days of dry dreams and wet farts......

Simple to fix the issue with the Cub, just use one of these and ALL your troubles will be in the past. Left handed tools are an essential part of ANY correct workshop.
Jul 11, 2019, 07:47 AM
The left-hand persuader looks ace, I wonder if they do a right-hand version as well....

Cheers Only One More.

Having found a liking for 'R' clips/car body clips, I couldn't resist using them to retain the wheels. I struggled to drill through the threaded rod that came with kit so I used 6mm O/D brass tubing for the axles. To hold them in place on the legs I soldered collets to the tubing. 5mm dia. music wire rod that runs through both axles to keep them in-line. In order to allow a little bit of flexibility in the undercarriage, the rod is not fixed to the axles and it is retained by the 'R'clips. I used spare APC-E prop spacers as washers and sanded them to the right thickness to allow a small amount of clearance on the wheels.
Name: IMG_20190710_191640436.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 1.90 MB
Description:
Name: IMG_20190710_191650879.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 2.39 MB
Description:
Name: IMG_20190710_191656915.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 2.68 MB
Description:
Name: IMG_20190710_191706385.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 4.03 MB
Description:
Jul 11, 2019, 07:10 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
I would drip solder into the brass to fill it, I have had axles done that way bend on a hard landing, and when you try to bend them back they usually shear off from metal fatigue. Solid solder up the guts makes them stronger. And its easy to drill again if needed. But where are the BA screws ? I had thought you might jam some Indented Foundation Bolts up the guts and solder them in, or some other convoluted Pommy method of using a UNIQUE bolt thread for every fitting......like the way you made cars in the 1950's-1980's, no two bolts or screws were EVER allowed to match.....

The wheels on my little 48" DR1 I had years ago mounted the same way as your's are done. NEVER had an issue, although I did drill through the spring steel for mine. The R clips will never fall out. Beats the HELL out wheel collars.

And YES you can get a Universal Knockometer, it's usually on the shelf, next to the striped paint, beside the waterproof flyscreen.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:54 AM
Good point about fatiguing the axles, I'll get solder in them.

'50s - '80s automotive bolt selection was a stroke of genius, after all, if you stick to only a handful of different sizes you end up using just a handful of compartments in your screw organising cabinet so they will be overflowing whilst the rest are left empty

Glad that there's a resurgence in the stripped paint market, be great to brighten up my fence panels.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:38 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
BE VERY CAREFUL......I bought some paint the other day, to repaint my Barber's Pole in it's red and white spiral stripes. I did all my prep work, two coats of sealer and two undercoats. Then I opened my new tin of Red and White Spiral paint to find it was miss-labelled. Now I have 5 litres of Green and Purple polka dot paint. What am I supposed to do with that now ?
Jul 16, 2019, 06:54 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
... What am I supposed to do with that now ?
Open a nail bar ..?

Jul 16, 2019, 04:05 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Open a nail bar ..?

So THAT'S what this damn spotted paint is for. I had NO CLUE when I bought it that it wasn't what I wanted. Until I find the correct use for it, I guess it can go in the drawer with the pre set epoxy, reserve saw dust and the pencils with the bent lead that prevents straight lines being drawn.
I also have a Chinese made ambidextrous "sta-puller" in the uni-tool drawer, great tool for undoing papers like court summons' and paternity tests. One click staple removal. I use this in conjunction with the Australian made universal evidence removing tool shown in the picture.
Jul 17, 2019, 04:36 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only one more
Azoic, Again you always amaze me with your rare photos, However, the Second pic looks indeed to be a Camel, But With a reversed Swastika, Before 1936 ? , I know German Tanks had a reverse Swastika on their field battle banners, Until 1938 when field Kommedants complained it should be reversed, As it was sewn in on the left side to be reversed, On the right side, After 1938 They added a second layer of fabric to show the Swastika to be correct as we see it now, So early Pre 1938 Some of the tanks and planes seem to have had a reverse Swastika.
I believe Finland used a reversed Swastika as their emblem for a while.

Quick Reply