Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 14, 2017, 05:18 PM
But Honey, It was on sale
clive, from what I know about the discontinued Hangar 9 camel About the same size, because of the short nose, it will require weight up front anyway, so don't worry about the wheel weight.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2017, 07:38 PM
Well, I just was ready to buy one of these, Just checked HK website, My price from china is now $20 more in shipping then last week price. Hmmm. Now I am hesitant to buy one, As I can get a Sopwith PUP from BalsaUSA, for a few $ more, And I think the pup may be a better flyer, Just A tad smaller, but now I have to do research and compare money for value, and overall difference in the planes, So it will be a bit before I make a decision .
Mar 15, 2017, 12:41 AM
It should fly at least once
O O M, I got mine from ACCHOBBY on Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...4.html?spm=211

US$71 + freight much better than HobbyKing, have a look. I got the one with the fibreglass cowl etc, don't like plastic.

I have just dry fitted most of the fuselage and its a very good fit. My first mod will be to use captive nuts on the undercart mounts and caphead bolts instead of wood screws. With my landing s wood screws would not last long.

You certainly cannot complain about what you get for the money, I will possibly change the elev and rudder operating rods for for snakes or pull pull depending.
Lightening the tail may be possible as well.

My wife likes it as well, so I might get another kit............. Tiger Moth or something. AccHobby said they would give me a good price when I next buy a kit.

Anyhow have a look on Aliexpress and see, they were very quick sending via EMS only a week instead of 2-3 weeks.

Look forward to chatting about our builds.

Cheers

Clive
Mar 15, 2017, 04:48 PM
Clive, Thanks for the buy info, just looked into it, It is about $50 less then HK, So now it has my interest again, And Yes, I don't like the plastic one either. So I think I will get this, And since it is wife approved, I will tell my wife that as well, LOL, , The Tiger Moth is a good flyer as well, A bit sedate relaxed flyer, But on HK site, some chaps that purchased this were getting bad kits, Mis-aligned parts from the laser, (see the reviews), These kits are more then likely made in the same factory, and sent to different distributors. just thought I would let you know, The Quality Control in China factories is not the same as in the states. Anyway,good luck on the build.
Mar 15, 2017, 04:50 PM
OK Guys, anyone who has started building this kit can we list problems that we have found so we can work together to solve them.
I have a few already and will list them in my next post.
Mar 15, 2017, 05:05 PM
Just ordered this, Thanks Clive, Hope I get a good one. My wife says it better be wife approved, As she counted my planes, Sheese, I had no idea I had 33
Mar 15, 2017, 07:27 PM
Your covered, my wife approved it for you
Mar 16, 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only one more
Just ordered this, Thanks Clive, Hope I get a good one. My wife says it better be wife approved, As she counted my planes, Sheese, I had no idea I had 33
You just need to crash a few??
Mar 16, 2017, 05:37 PM
Hi Nergall, I don't like the term crash. It seems so harsh, I prefer- Unexpected encounter with Terrain. Kinda like the way the NTSB describes aircraft incidents. But yes, I have been subject to a few" incidents", But I repair, Hot glue is my friend-LOL,( I have a lot of foam planes) And if the plane has lots of repairs, and starts to get heavy, you just put a bigger motor and battery in it, And land it faster, Oh NO, it's coming in Hot,, And ... oh,,, Honey, we need to go to Walmart- I need more glue sticks.
Mar 16, 2017, 05:47 PM
Clive, I got email , My Camel is on it's way, Yea! Sometime in the next 12 to 27 days, will let ya' know when I get it.
Mar 16, 2017, 06:26 PM
That's cool, mine turned up very quickly and I could track the EMS all the way.

My wife asked me last night when I was going to buy another kit!!!! I said "Oh maybe in a week or so"

Its a pity they have such a limited range of WW1 planes, I may email them and ask them if they intend to make other models.
Mar 17, 2017, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only one more
Hi Nergall, I don't like the term crash. It seems so harsh, I prefer- Unexpected encounter with Terrain. Kinda like the way the NTSB describes aircraft incidents. But yes, I have been subject to a few" incidents", But I repair, Hot glue is my friend-LOL,( I have a lot of foam planes) And if the plane has lots of repairs, and starts to get heavy, you just put a bigger motor and battery in it, And land it faster, Oh NO, it's coming in Hot,, And ... oh,,, Honey, we need to go to Walmart- I need more glue sticks.
It is harder to give up on a foam airplane. I totally agree there, but I think if I found myself upgrading the motor to keep it flying, it might finally find its way to the dumpster? (Especially if I had 32 backups!)
Mar 18, 2017, 02:53 PM
Clive, I concur with the limited range of WW1 planes, I would like to see them come out with a Nieuport 28C. That 1800mm Piper kit they have looks pretty nice.
Mar 18, 2017, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
It is harder to give up on a foam airplane. I totally agree there, but I think if I found myself upgrading the motor to keep it flying, it might finally find its way to the dumpster? (Especially if I had 32 backups!)
Nergall, EXAMPLE GIVEN: I Have 2 different versions of the old Art-Tech AT-Texans, 50'' span, I have the USAF yellow, and the grey and yellow Navy versions. I love these planes, I have sound units in both, They both look and sound awesome, Take off and landing are a breeze, It's flyin' em that's the challenge. I am flying both with Powerup 25 motors, Turnigy 2650 3s batts. 11x7 MAS props. They are fast, But these birds are notorious for just falling out of the sky, One wrong quick turn or up elev, wham,,, they go into a Weird tip stall,, Lose lift thing,, then "unexpected encounter with terrain". I do push the limits on them, But it's the way I like to fly them, It's a challenge, Both have had several repairs, but I keep 'em flying, As you cannot find parts for these planes, So I make my own, And guys at my field cannot believe these things fly as good as they do, They are carbon fiber reinforced, chunks of foam replaced, sanded, liteweight drywall spackled, repainted, epoxied, hot glue, whatever,,, Any plane of mine always looks new, Or I don't fly it until it looks that way. Nothing of mine will ever find it's demise in a dumpster. If it gets that bad,,I will glue all the remaining pieces to a sheet of cardboard and hang it on the wall in my build shop, with a history banner. So far, nothing hanging on the wall...
Mar 18, 2017, 04:02 PM
Yes I have been eyeing that one off as well as the tiggy. I would like an Albatros D. V but maybe the fuselage shape might put them off doing a kit.

You never know your luck eh.

Quick Reply