Jun 19, 2016, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Interesting info on new dumas kit

I thought it would be of interest to have some background on the new Dumas kit of the 38 commuter.

http://www.thealthea.com/
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2016, 03:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
That will be a stunning model boat for those with the skills to build to such a level.
Latest blog entry: Felony
Jun 19, 2016, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
KMOT-To be honest this latest kit of Dumas shows that they have taken notice as to what has been said and talked about their past kit’s shortfalls and have made moves to correct items and procedures in both the production and the building of their newer kits.

One thing to note is that they shied away from using the expanded PVC in favor of an all wood kit, which a lot of the model builders, including myself, prefer as the building material of choice. Also the choice of subject matter in a scale that makes sense at 1/12th scale opens the door for further detailing of the cabin with doll house furniture a reality.

With single motor power options other than the standard Dumas power, the model can be made to perform as the original commuter did with her 250hp V8 motor.

The last few kit that Dumas has released have shown that they take their business, our hobby, seriously and that what the modeler thinks and has to say about their kits means a lot to them.

Kudos to Dumas for stepping up on the quality of their kits rather than sticking their head in the sand and continuing with the status quo. They are to be applauded.
Last edited by frankg; Nov 18, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Jun 19, 2016, 06:06 PM
Where's Pamela?
Hope they stepped UP the quality...

12,000 pounds displacement? That would be 6.9 lbs for a 1:12 model...
Jun 19, 2016, 08:33 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
frankg,
If you say Dumas has realized their QC issues and addressed them I completely trust your considered professional opinion. That said I await hearing about experiences from builders of their new models. Seem to recall that reviews of RUSTY were rather mixed.
At any rate they have a long way to go to come anywhere near having the reputation for quality that your kits enjoy.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
I await hearing about experiences from builders of their new models. Seem to recall that reviews of RUSTY were rather mixed.
Jun 20, 2016, 11:14 AM
I know what I want Santa to bring me for Christmas.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey

Quick Reply