This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 18, 2016, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

thermals, and getting what you want.

Oscar Wilde said that "the only thing worse that not getting what you want, is getting it".
i never thought much about it because i thought it was 1 of his jokes.
that is, until today.
weather good, flew some of my new 2 meters sailplanes for calm for evaluation, and when the wind began to blow, i pulled 1 for windy weather, that has the vario that sends tones or tells the height.
tried to find a thermal but nothing. climbed 3 times to 200 meters (some 640 ft). the sky had just a few thin strips like veils. not the best conditions for thermals i know. the plane didnt sink, but no beeps.
i sure wanted thermals.
and then the vario began to sing. and up she went. up and up. 200 meters, 240, 300... then i began to worry. the plane looked smaller and smaller even if i did nothing. so i moved away, but no matter where, the vario kept telling higher. tried to trim it down. then dive. then the wings began to flutter. so dont put so much down. eventually began to drop. 300, 270, and so on. took over 10 minutes to land. by then i didnt want to fly anymore. i kept telling to myself: so you wanted thermals, didnt you? the flight was over 30 minutes.
so think carefully what you want: the gods of the air may be watching and decide to please you.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply