Jan 02, 2017, 11:27 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Thread OP
Simon - Jealous that you guys fly F3F for an entire week in WA. Wow! Hard core!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2017, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Olson
We don't often get a chance to fly good slopes (Perth is flat). And Esperance is a full days' drive away from Perth, so we have to make the most of the opportunity. Usually a great week with only one rule - fly every day!

Simon
Jan 03, 2017, 09:52 AM
Nice lookin' site Simon! What format will the data be stored in? As a CD/Scorer (I'm one of Dave Olson's "go-fers"), I'd sure like a way to export the data in a format enabling me to import it into F3X Vault!

Nice work on the timing system by the way! I've had the opportunity to work with it a few times and definitely like where it's heading.

Regards,

Sandy Smith
Foresthill, CA USA
Jan 03, 2017, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodlehs
Nice lookin' site Simon! What format will the data be stored in? As a CD/Scorer (I'm one of Dave Olson's "go-fers"), I'd sure like a way to export the data in a format enabling me to import it into F3X Vault!

Nice work on the timing system by the way! I've had the opportunity to work with it a few times and definitely like where it's heading.

Regards,

Sandy Smith
Foresthill, CA USA
Hi Sandy

F3X Vault is the target for the score data. So at a minimum it will support that upload format. But it will also produce more detailed info for each flight in csv format - so easy to load into a spreadsheet.

The long term hope is to be able to upload live flight data to F3X Vault for instant round by round scoring. When Tim creates an API (interface) for the vault

Cheers
Simon
Jan 04, 2017, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Olson
You should join us Dave !
Jan 04, 2017, 03:59 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonWatts
Hi Sandy

F3X Vault is the target for the score data. So at a minimum it will support that upload format. But it will also produce more detailed info for each flight in csv format - so easy to load into a spreadsheet.

The long term hope is to be able to upload live flight data to F3X Vault for instant round by round scoring. When Tim creates an API (interface) for the vault

Cheers
Simon
I know...I know...

I almost had time the other night, but then I had to build some planes for the upcoming contents....

I'll get there...

t
Jan 05, 2017, 04:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbp285
You should join us Dave !
Thanks for the invite! I would like to! Maybe next year!
Jan 06, 2017, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonWatts
Hi Sandy

Cheers
Simon
Very good job Simon, it should be great!
Jan 06, 2017, 03:22 PM
By my side, I go ahead with my own :
F3F F3B Simon WATTS Timer operating (1 min 45 sec)
Jan 22, 2017, 08:55 AM

Timer update - CD, Display and Wind units

Finally getting somewhere with the CD unit. Now ready for its first F3F outing

The photos and videos below will give you some idea of what it's like. I'll take more photos and video on the slope at Esperance this week.

Pretty much everything is run from the touch screen except starting an actual flight. Once a contest is setup and ready to run, the red button on the top of the unit starts a flight and at the end increments it to the next flight. So should be easy to hand the box to a helper with little instruction. Just press the red button !

All results are saved to a micro sd card in .csv format - so easy to load into a spreadsheet. Wind data is displayed on the CD unit and also on the large LED display board.

Still a long way to go - but at least it's just programming now.

F3X timing system - display unit (0 min 54 sec)

F3X timing system - CD unit demo (1 min 11 sec)

Simon
Jan 22, 2017, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Excellent progress Simon! Wow, a color touch screen! That is great you have also incorporated the wind speed onto the large display. I was thinking that would come later. Fantastic news.

Do you input pilot names right on the CD unit or via PC upload?

The color screen looks like it will be very readable in daylight with white type on black.

Thanks for posting the videos and photos, very exciting progress. It doesn't look like you have been sitting around watching a lot of TV in your spare time....lol. We really appreciate all your hard work!
Jan 23, 2017, 12:39 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Simon!

That looks great!

Just in time cause the club wants to buy my units, so I will personally need another unit, and I was hoping to wait for your CD unit.

So, can you think about getting the parts to make another one?

Or, I can get some of the parts going on my side too....

I guess I'm doing some of the surgery on Thomas Cooke's system that i did on mine to get rid of the delays. Now I just have to remember how to do them.

When I can get one, I can help with the testing and the particulars about running a contest.

If there is room somehow, it would be nice to see the splits on the display screen, and perhaps the estimated run time after the 5th lap or so...

I can't see the outlines of the display boards. Are those two of the square ones put together?

t
Jan 23, 2017, 07:54 AM
Pilot names are currently in a .csv file format on the sd card as a master list. When setting up a new contest you can select the pilots from the master list. For each round you can easily enable/disable pilots if they are sitting out a round (plane repairs) or out of the contest (no planes left).
I'll add in the ability to add pilots via the touchscreen keyboard in case they aren't in the master list.
Of course the long term goal is to just synchronise with f3xvault and get the pilots from there

The display screen is two 32x64 screens to give a total of 64 x 64 dots. I can probably fit on the split times by removing unnecessary info once the flight starts - eg wind and pilot name. The challenge is not making the text too small to see from a distance. I could go to a bigger display - but then portability and power become issues. Scrolling text is also possible. That gives options for showing next pilot name, best time this round etc. Can also do graphics and colour. It's just a matter of working out what to display and when.

This video shows the display a bit better. I had the screen intensity much lower. This version did not have the wind data being displayed.
F3X timing system display and audio demo (0 min 47 sec)

Tim. I'll email you about the best way to get you a CD unit. It's still very experimental. This week's F3F will be a good test to see if it's reliable enough. Just in case, I'm also taking the old F3F system we have been using for several years - less features, but very reliable

BTW the latest version of the Team units (as sent to Aubry and Andres) have upgraded audio - no delay and much louder. Also can have option of saving times to internal sd card (hardware is there but software yet to be written).

Simon
Jan 23, 2017, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Simon, I also noticed you added a port for an anemometer on Aubry's unit. You are making great development progress. Hooking up to the Vault would just be crazy good!

Thanks for responding on how you input pilot names and what the future holds:-)

Splits are great on the Team units, very nice training aid. I am not convinced they are important enough to make it onto the large display. You wouldn't really get all that much time to digest them if flashed up onto the large display anyway. I find scrolling displays very annoying since you have to wait for things to come around, imho.

Have fun flying F3F all week!
Last edited by David Olson; Jan 23, 2017 at 08:21 AM.
Jan 23, 2017, 09:45 AM
totally cool! Appreciate the efforts...

Quick Reply