Jul 12, 2016, 11:55 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Thread OP

Both Steve and Mehrdad flew 32's on the Sonoma Coast last Sunday:

Team USA F3F Practice - Fort Ross - July 10th, 2016 (4 min 47 sec)

Team USA F3F Practice #2 - Sonoma Coast - July 10th, 2016 (5 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2016, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Flying at Fort Ross was the most severe test of the audio system. The wind started out at 35 mph and built to 45 mph. The Fort Ross lower slope requires you to stand directly in the wind blast, no high cliff to cause a large rotor to get away from the intense wind blast.

Even with hoodies on, goggle straps over your ears and incredible wind noise in your ears we could still hear the audio system. The wind blew over the 10 watt speaker and tripod so many times we just left it on the ground. This was the first time I used a tripod for the speaker in this much wind and will pack an anchor for next time.

The Base workers enjoyed seeing the times on their base units so they felt more of a part of what was happening. The updated enlarged fonts helped so guys didn't have to pull out their reading glasses.

Personally what I liked the most was that Simon incorporated in his latest firmware having the final time announced after each run. This is such a great addition!

Since we were practicing a lot having each lap time listed on the CD unit is such a great tool to have for each pilot. Such a great tool for a team manager.
Last edited by David Olson; Jul 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM.
Jul 14, 2016, 06:36 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Great to see you yanks getting on board with the good old Aussie know how, or West Aussie Know how.

Looks and sounds like the timing gear is working well for you and also the lap practice.

Important part of Simons timing gear not mentioned, updates can be emailed to the user and uploaded to the devices very easily via USB cables and a little bit of software.

Simon was continually making changes and tweaking the software for us, from Australia, while the Aussie Team was at the F3B Worlds last year.

Enjoy the system, the good part for us local WA flyers is you boys will work out all the bugs for us, so when our season hits it will be working smooth as poo....

Don
Jul 15, 2016, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dont
Great to see you yanks getting on board with the good old Aussie know how, or West Aussie Know how.

Looks and sounds like the timing gear is working well for you and also the lap practice.

Important part of Simons timing gear not mentioned, updates can be emailed to the user and uploaded to the devices very easily via USB cables and a little bit of software.

Simon was continually making changes and tweaking the software for us, from Australia, while the Aussie Team was at the F3B Worlds last year.

Enjoy the system, the good part for us local WA flyers is you boys will work out all the bugs for us, so when our season hits it will be working smooth as poo....

Don
Hi Don,

Yes, Simon's system is very impressive and Simon has already done several firmware updates for us so far. I agree, it is very easy to update via USB as you mentioned. It is like buying a new and improved system with each update.

We are so fortunate you guys brought Simon's timing system with you to the Netherlands for the F3B WC. If you did not have your system there I don't think any of this would have happened for us here.

Simon's development is very refined now and by the time your season comes, it is exciting to think about what he will have created by then.

It was great to meet you last summer, hope to see you in Denmark soon.

Dave
Jul 17, 2016, 08:42 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Hi Dave,
Tim will be at the F3F world and a couple of new blokes for you to meet.

Don
Jul 17, 2016, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dont
Hi Dave,
Tim will be at the F3F world and a couple of new blokes for you to meet.

Don
Hi Don,

It was great meeting you and Tim in the Netherlands and I look forward to seeing Tim again. I posted up your TS results on our F3F Team thread and saw that Tim took 1st Place so I was hoping he would be able to attend the WC in Denmark.....It won't be long now.

Dave
Dec 23, 2016, 03:37 PM
Now one is in Europe!
Thanks to Simon WATTS and David OLSON!

See the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/SoaringGard...74574749566870

or watch it on youtube:
Simon WATTS F3F/F3B Timing System's Opening (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by Aubry GABANON; Jan 06, 2017 at 03:24 PM.
Dec 24, 2016, 11:22 AM
Hi guys

Just found this thead and as we are looking for a time system would be highly interested.
Does anyone have a contact to the developer?
Many thanks
Istvan
Last edited by Campac; Dec 25, 2016 at 02:32 AM.
Dec 24, 2016, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubry GABANON
Now one is in Europe!
Thanks to Simon WATTS and David OLSON!

See the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/SoaringGard...74574749566870
Aubry,

Glad to hear you received your timing system! Just in time for Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Dave
Dec 24, 2016, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campac
Hi guys

Just found this thead and as we are looking for a timi system would be highly interested.
Does anyone have a contact to thr developer?
Many thanks
Istvan
Check your PM's.........
Dec 25, 2016, 05:35 PM
We have one in chile too!!!
Dec 26, 2016, 01:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acordova
We have one in chile too!!!
Great to hear that.
Jan 02, 2017, 07:24 AM

Timer update - CD unit

Thought I'd highjack Dave's thread with an update on ongoing development of the system.

Some people are aware that I've been working on a unit for the CD to use to run a contest. The system out there in use now does not track contests, rounds, pilots, results.

I managed to get some time over the Christmas break to work on the system.

The attached photos show the prototype. Still needs more work, but I can create a contest, add pilots, create a round, adjust the flying order and run F3F flights. F3B is still a way off.

Although it's an LCD display, it's very bright and visibility is excellent in sunlight.

Apart from one button, everything is touch driven. Including a keyboard for text entry. It hooks into the existing base units and audio unit. Results are stored on a micro SD card.

I also have the new display unit hooked up (shown in one of the photos). This a 400mm x 400mm high intensity LED board that can display text and graphics. Visibility in sunlight from a distance is very good.

Next step is a proper circuit board and case. My hope is that it will be finished in time for a week of F3F in Esperance (Western Australia) at the end of Jan.

Simon
Jan 02, 2017, 07:56 AM
Detail Freak
Nice!
Happy New Year.
Regards,
Target
Jan 02, 2017, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
Hi Simon,

I am so glad you posted an update of your recent development work here, no hijack, great post!

Glad to hear of your progress on building an actual prototype CD unit. Fantastic work Simon! I know you do this in your spare time and is another hobby of yours. Thanks for posting here!

Very exciting!

Dave

Quick Reply