cooool
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2021, 03:44 PM
Competition in Slovakia ,it is not a cliff ... :-}

F3F MaSR Baca Cup 2021 (3 min 37 sec)

successful device test.
Oct 20, 2021, 08:20 PM
Thanks for posting the video Robo.

It's always good to see the timing gear being used and the slopes that people fly at.
Oct 20, 2021, 08:50 PM

Timing system on ESP-NOW as Xbee replacement

We managed to run a contest here in Western Australia a couple of weeks ago. Our first for the year

I used the new ESP-NOW version of the system. No Xbee radio modules. In use were CD, Audio, Display, Wind (UniTimer 2), two Bases (UniTimer 2), one Repeater and handheld Remote Switches.

We managed 18 rounds with 10 pilots - total of 180 flights with only one minor issue. One of the remote switches occasionally decided to reboot itself, but in the end that affected only one turn call. I suspect a bad solder joint somewhere. Overall the ESP-NOW network worked flawlessly and since it's faster, cheaper and more flexible, I'm going to permanently switch to it. All existing units can be upgraded to ESP-NOW with a direct replacement module for the Xbee.

Simon
Oct 21, 2021, 01:50 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Hey Simon!

The other thing I noticed though is because the remote hand held triggers use a vibration as part of the feedback, they typically go through a 3000mah in about 4 hours before they quit...

But yes, the ESP units work awesome.

Can you replace the xbee units in the older team units?

Tim
Oct 21, 2021, 02:12 AM
Hi Tim

Yes. The vibration motor does consume a bit of power. The guys seem to like the extra feedback compared to just the beep though.

The conversion kits will work in the old Team units. I haven't updated the firmware yet, but the code changes are straightforward.

Simon
Oct 25, 2021, 03:10 PM
Again contest...

F3F RC Letka Kosice 2021 (3 min 20 sec)
Oct 28, 2021, 04:16 AM

ESP upgrade done

I just upgraded my complete (CD, base, piCAM, audio, wind, repeater) F3F-timing-system (made by Simon Watts) to ESP and added two handheld too.
The update went very smoothly - Simon has prepared everything pefectly.

Now the first field-test will show how fast and reliable the ESP-connection is.

Thanks a lot, dear Simon: you developped and produced a perfect system!

Best regards Kurt
Nov 05, 2021, 06:23 PM
Deleted my request for camera settings, pending further testing of my own.
Last edited by Bruce H; Nov 21, 2021 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply