Jun 17, 2016, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fuel filters - tough choices, troubles, million opinions

Recently I had some trouble with my new G62 (brand new, less than two tanks ran trough) with electronic ign. It was running erratic, had to be set rich to not die when idling, but ran very rich when flying (only 1 flight).

I've noticed air bubbles coming in from the filter (Sullivan Crap Trap)
I thought I'll use good stuff and I'll have no trouble.
I guess I was wrong.
So I want to ask, what do you use, and why?

I'm planning to switch to Walbro felt clunk, no inline filter. I did that in GeeBee(DLE30) yesterday. Ran fine, I'll fly it this weekend.
I'll do 47 this weekend (G62 I talked about)

There is so many different threads about it, so many opinions...
Hard to figure it out.
There is 3 more weeks before Warbirds over Delaware, and I'd like to have 47 set right by then and test flown it again, and again....
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2016, 09:50 PM
I run felt filter clunks in my gassers and no inline filters. One piece of fuel line from tank to carb, keep it simple
Naturally a third line for filling and draining the tank is necessary if using a filter clunk.
Pete
Jun 18, 2016, 09:31 AM
I run the same as Pete but with a quality filter from a lawn and garden center inline just before the carb. I found long ago that hobby filters did not work so well on gasoline engines
Jun 18, 2016, 02:24 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
I found long ago that hobby filters did not work so well on gasoline engines
These ones do: what does not pass a paper filter, does not pass these either.

https://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=...act=mrc&uact=8
Jun 20, 2016, 09:14 AM
Your doctor can tell you
Is that a sintered bronze filter medai ?
Jun 20, 2016, 09:18 AM
Closed Account
Nope... it is some kind of membrane screen on a small frame, but so fineyou need a pretty good magnifying glass to see the mesh.
It manages to catch glass fibres lengthwise (My bell 47G has Epoxy/glassfibre fuel tanks that were a bit rough made....)

It is very small, and fairly easy to clean: just take out the basket and blow out backwards with some brake cleaner.

I'll have to guess here, but it can handle the fuel flow of a 90 glow 2-stroke, so it will at least handle the fuel flow of a 30 cc gasser, me thinks
Last edited by Brutus1967; Jun 20, 2016 at 09:25 AM.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:37 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I was converted to the small Husqvarna / Jonsered ceramic clunks. They also do the cloth ones in a frame same size.

Take care to get the small diameter one otherwise it will not go in the tank. There are two sizes.

They have a double action ... a) filtering, b) stop frothing.

Plus of course they are heavy and can easily bend the pick up tubing to clunk in the tank.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: 3D printed Vulcan and thoughts
Jun 20, 2016, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by John_M_; Nov 04, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
Jun 22, 2016, 05:34 AM
I use their tanks exclusively, no filters on the plane. I even have one on my PSP Test Stand

http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductRotoFlow.html
Jun 22, 2016, 07:32 AM
Your doctor can tell you
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_
Sintered bronze filter element, those work well with gasoline, but with alcohol, they have a tendency to turn green with corrosion and clog.
John M

Yessir, that is why I asked . The bronze type do not work well with methanol based furls .
Jun 22, 2016, 07:41 AM
Suspended Account
I only use the walbro .
Jun 22, 2016, 07:56 AM
A number of years ago I tried a Walbro felt filter clunk with glow fuel, with poor results. It seemed that it restricted fuel flow, I have to assume it was the high oil content?
Pete
Jun 22, 2016, 08:18 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
A number of years ago I tried a Walbro felt filter clunk with glow fuel, with poor results. It seemed that it restricted fuel flow, I have to assume it was the high oil content?
Pete
That was my experience with them as well....
Jun 22, 2016, 10:59 PM
Suspended Account
Last edited by John_M_; Nov 04, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
Jun 23, 2016, 04:03 AM
Suspended Account
Again, .................gas or glow?

TF

Quick Reply