FT Sea Duck!! - Page 6 - RC Groups
Nov 29, 2017, 09:59 AM
HJG
HJG
HENRY

My SeaDuck Build

Hi All,
Just about completed my SeaDuck build, only control surface deflexions, hatch magnet fit and all important CG check.
Built from Flite Test FB with a few mods, notably used 3" postal tube with some wrapped 1/16 balsa to create the cowls.
Weight with a 4S battery is 3lbs 12 ozs, motors are Turnigy Aerodrive 2836 1040 Kv driving Multistar carbon props,
Finnish is sorta army air force. with a navel twist (well at least its colourful), oil based paint used, letters cut from Oracal 651 ( sign writers vinyl).
Waiting for some decent weather or some snow for a test flight should have enough power as 430 watts measured on motor run
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2017, 01:07 PM
Supersonic Engineering
Oh, Henry, that looks great! I do hope you're bringing it along to the next club meeting. good luck with the maiden!
Nov 29, 2017, 03:17 PM
HJG
HJG
HENRY
Hi Gordon,
Pete Lee has emailed me stating that Sat may be flyable, will check weather forecast. If I can keep it intact I will bring along to Dec meeting.
Having checked the original plan my build is 12 ozs heavier, puts the wing loading in17 ozs/ft which should be manageable

Henry
Nov 29, 2017, 07:17 PM
Hi Henry
I am not able to make it on Saturday, Good luck with the first flight.
DarkOak
Nov 30, 2017, 06:39 AM
Wow, that plane really looks good!
Nov 30, 2017, 07:40 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
That looks absolutely stunning! I'm really digging the colors because they are reminiscent of "old school" Army Air Corp. And I can appreciate the amount of work all those little details took!

Well done.
Nov 30, 2017, 04:46 PM
been wantin to built this bad boy for a while now... cant seem to find that brown waterproof 5 mm foamboard here in Australia but I don't wanna inport speed build kit,, I rather cut it out myself... anybody got any ideas for waterproofing standard white 5 mm foam board,, have had some ideas but will hafta test and post results,, of course use packin tape, then paint ... was thinkin of applying a thin coat silicone based glass sealant around entire airframe ,, inside and out, and then laying more packing tape to underside of seaduck to reduce friction with belly landings on the grass,, I'm a noob so any input would be greatly appreciated.. cheers in advance
Dec 01, 2017, 11:55 AM
HJG
HJG
HENRY
Hi,
Many thanks for the positive comments, brisbainy I would tell you in all honesty that were I to build another one I would not use the same material.
I don't know if I got a bad box of FT foam board(imported from Germany) as every sheet was curved / twisted in 2 directions.
I would recommend 6 mm Depron or equivalent ~~ 40Kg/ Mtr^2 density styrofoam XPS either Dow, Styrodur, or Knauf.
Covered with 60gsm brown parcel paper using a water resistant PVA slightly thinned, when build completed, followed by a top coat of varnish and finally
paint finish.
I have measured the weights of FT foam board at 0.185gms/ sq inch, 6mm Depron at 0.15 gms/sq inch , so a build with Depron with covering , glue + varnish is going to weigh more but in the case of this plane would not be a big problem.

Henry
Dec 05, 2017, 03:19 PM
HJG
HJG
HENRY
HI All,
Went to "Lakesiders " club field today with 2 models , Aurora and SeaDuck. Weather 7~~8 'C overcast with a light north west wind .
Flew the Aurora pusher jet first to get flying reflexes up to speed prior to maiden of SeaDuck.
Loaded up Lipo and taxied to get feel of SeaDuck, then opened up the "taps" and she took off in 10 -15 feet plenty of power!.
Had to push in a lot of down trim when W.O.T but tracked straight, a real pussy cat to fly, need to possibly mix down elevator with increased throttle in my FF9 TX, did a loop and roll, handles well.
Photo's courtesy of Mike Turner, unfortunately not the best because of the dull weather, need now to invest in a second lipo pack, weather outlook for rest of week not great.

Henry
Dec 05, 2017, 05:50 PM
Can anyone tell me how long I need to make the power Y-harness
Dec 06, 2017, 07:58 AM
Nice looking plane on the ground and in the air!
Dec 08, 2017, 04:07 AM

Well done Henry!

Well Done Henry

Sea Duck looks fantastic - you should have called me - I would have liked to have witnessed the maiden flight!

I suppose I'll have to start building mine now!

Pete