FT Sea Duck!! - Page 5 - RC Groups
Aug 07, 2017, 06:36 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
My Sea Duck suffered a crack in the foam board just forward of the beam joint of the forward bottom hull (Right where the hull starts to flatten out from the nose)

I hot glued two flat squares of balsa together then hot glued a lip to that for a shelf joint support then hot glued on a Balsa stick to help place the hot glued hull support to the inside of the hull....much easier to reach and install with dripping Hot glue .....!!

Worked perfect.....now the former soft squishy bottom side hull is once again super strong and ready for another year or more of active flight duty.

Love this plane!!!

TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2017, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin
My Sea Duck suffered a crack in the foam board just forward of the beam joint of the forward bottom hull (Right where the hull starts to flatten out from the nose)

I hot glued two flat squares of balsa together then hot glued a lip to that for a shelf joint support then hot glued on a Balsa stick to help place the hot glued hull support to the inside of the hull....much easier to reach and install with dripping Hot glue .....!!

Worked perfect.....now the former soft squishy bottom side hull is once again super strong and ready for another year or more of active flight duty.

Love this plane!!!

TwistedGrin
Got a picture of that?

Would be interested to see if it's a spot that might should be reinforced at build time.
Aug 11, 2017, 12:49 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by vg33
Got a picture of that?

Would be interested to see if it's a spot that might should be reinforced at build time.
I did not take a photo...but yes....if or when I build another SeaDuck......I would at least double up on the bottom side hull or - glue in a balsa reinforcement section to that forward hull right where the double step ends - to continue it forward for at least three inches or so

TwistedGrin
Aug 16, 2017, 10:18 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
I am completely bummed out and slightly freaked out.......

Yesterday evening I noticed a faint odd sound from the SeaDuck as I flew over head.....the left side motor was not operating correctly during differential thrust. I landed on the water as smooth as silk.....but that motor would no longer operate. The SeaDuck was stranded on the water about 25ft from shore.

Smoke began to escalate into intense white smoke....then pooof....FIRE. I was helpless to do anything but watch the mighty SeaDuck burn on the water. The wind caught the trash and blew it to the middle of the lake.

A fellow bystander came by to console me.....said he had often seen me flying this bird on the lake for over a year. We both watched it burn into nearly nothing as the smoke finally ended on the floating trash.

I returned a couple of hours later to retrieve the trash upon finding it within arms reach of the stone water bulkhead shore. I bagged it and dropped it in the local trash bin......I am fairly certain the ESC had failed then shorted - causing the elevated heat, smoke and ensuing fire.

I'll build another soon perhaps.......that was really a fun plane to fly.

TwistedGrin
Aug 18, 2017, 11:44 AM
watch your head
Oh mate. What a sad end. This hurts more than a simple crash.
Aug 18, 2017, 11:58 AM
Gravity is my enemy
It calls to mind a very old song: Smoke On The Water. Sorry for your loss.
Aug 19, 2017, 05:37 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Bandit
It calls to mind a very old song: Smoke On The Water. Sorry for your loss.
Yep - that's the song I was humming in epiphany as I slowly began to comprehend it was to be a total loss....

TwistedGrin
Aug 20, 2017, 09:59 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Sorry for your loss. All of our models have a limited lifespan and you just have to appreciate a good ending. I learned this lesson while flying combat (mostly Open B and SSC combat, not just foamies), where the average lifespan of an airframe was a couple months. This was about as good an end as any, although it is unfortunate that all of the equipment was a total loss too. At least in a good crash you can usually recover most of the electronics.

J.P.
Aug 24, 2017, 04:41 PM
Last week, our club had its monthly meeting, and every month, they try to do a Model of the Month. I brought this in:

It was unpainted, and I left the last back panel off because I wanted to have access to the receiver for its maiden flight at the field in case of something wonky. But when I brought it in from my car (which, by the way, it will fit into a 2007 Mustang GT, but you have to have the back seats laid down and it goes in VERY carefully and at just the right angle!!!), everyone drooled over it.

A few people in the club (old timers who have been flying for decades) came over to check it out, and started asking, "Did you build it out of cardboard? That looks really impressive!"

I know there are some spots on it that it's not perfect (My nose didn't go together quite right, and so I've got tape over the joints to just add a little protection/strength, and to help seal it), but everyone oohed and ahhed over it.

Best of all, my club gives out a "Model of the Month" award for any models that are brought in for the meeting - and my Sea Duck won! From what I was told afterwards, it was because 1) I built it; the others were pre-fab and fully built models that had just been rattle can painted (not knocking that at all; they were good paint jobs, but it was just paint, not a build), 2) I knew a LOT of the history behind the cartoon (I've met several of the voice actors, I knew the references, I knew the era, etc), and 3) most of the club members had never seen a scratch-built foamy before, and wanted to know more about it!
Aug 25, 2017, 04:27 AM
watch your head
Nice, so letīs the duckbattles beginn :P
Aug 27, 2017, 11:32 PM
Checking the wind

Sea Duck Nose Mod

My well used Sea Duck's nose finally gave way when I accidently ran it into the shore a little too hard. This wasn't a surprise as the underneath nose plate really takes a beating on the water. Mine was getting pretty mushy. The result was has a huge hole in the bow. I was lucky in that the airplane came a shore, so no water damage.

Upon cutting the damaged piece away so that I could fashion a new one, I decided a re-design was in order. I fashioned an extra bulkhead that I glued in that divides the nose compartment roughly in half. I left a hole in the bulkhead and used this to fill it with spray foam insullation. Finally I cut a new bottom plate and fashioned it into place creating in effect a double hull filled with foam. In effect about 10 times stronger than the origional . When I build a new duck I will try to incorporate this mod into the build. Makes it SO much stronger.
Oct 20, 2017, 09:33 PM

Mini Ft sea Duck

I would like to say this is my first post on Rcgroups so please ignore my noobsness

A few days ago I thought of maybe scaling the plans down and making a mini sea duck running off the Twin A pack. Just wanted to know what peoples thought on this were and if someone has done so already.
Oct 21, 2017, 07:14 PM
watch your head
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyBearFighter
I would like to say this is my first post on Rcgroups so please ignore my noobsness

A few days ago I thought of maybe scaling the plans down and making a mini sea duck running off the Twin A pack. Just wanted to know what peoples thought on this were and if someone has done so already.
I did allready. Works great. I did a 3mm Depron version (ultralight) and a 6mm Depron version (a bit heavy) but both work great.
I prefer the ultralight version. Here is the maiden on stormy day between some trees ^^

Mini Seegans aka Rasenhuhn (2 min 54 sec)
Oct 29, 2017, 11:11 PM
Quote:
I did allready. Works great. I did a 3mm Depron version (ultralight) and a 6mm Depron version (a bit heavy) but both work great.
I prefer the ultralight version. Here is the maiden on stormy day between some trees ^^
Looks really cool, would love to fly it. What plans did you use and where did you get them. Ill try building it.
Oct 30, 2017, 05:21 AM
watch your head
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyBearFighter
Looks really cool, would love to fly it. What plans did you use and where did you get them. Ill try building it.
Find plans and buildinstructions HERE.

The original FT-foamboard is 4.32mm. For 3mm Depron just scale down the plans to 69.5%. So all will fit nicely.
Donīt use hotglue on depron. "Uhu Por" works great. A- and B-folds have to be made with glueing directly without folding.
Build as light as possible! No chichi.

i used 1804 motors on 6x4 props and 12A opto-blheli-ESCs. A little UBEC and 5g servos. Flyes great on 2S 1000mAh and insane on 3S 800mAh with the same setup.