FT Sea Duck!! - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 28, 2016, 11:26 AM
Just received my Sea Duck as a Christmas present. With the other projects already in line, it will probably be the summer before I build it. Please continue posting flights, it increases my desire to get it done!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2016, 10:30 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb753
Just received my Sea Duck as a Christmas present. With the other projects already in line, it will probably be the summer before I build it. Please continue posting flights, it increases my desire to get it done!
It's a fantastic flyer....suggest viewing the FT assembly video and depending on your radio set up...get the differential thrust set up in advance. I receive complements not only on the plane itself, but for its flight performance on the water. Always draws and audience at the city water park...especially in the twilight minutes with the LED's I deployed. The slow flight and rock steady flight path is amazing. It's a great design...not to any scale.....perfectly over powered.

Take your time on this build....you will be rewarded with an excellent bird.

TwistedGrin
Jan 05, 2017, 03:47 PM
Somewhere in New York

PT Sea Duck

Hi everybody. I will test my Sea Duck next sunday.... My Sea Duck 75%.
Jan 05, 2017, 11:02 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Very cool - I envy you guys that have the drive to scale up and down these planes.

Please report on your power package and of course....looking forward to flight reports!!

TwistedGrin
Jan 06, 2017, 09:40 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
I got a sea duck kit for a secret santa present, I need to figure out a power system for it, maybe I'll order the FT power pack.

TwistedGrin, is that LED light set one of the https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ng-system.html from HK? I think I have several of those laying around in my LED bin of doom.

Watching Josh Bixler's giant duck does trigger that "I want one" reflex in me, have to fight that, I don't have all that many places to fly something that big. I have a number of water capable planes but rarely have water access. I do have several different size field options for snow flight though. I like to LED light planes so I can fly off snow in dark conditions, but I doubt the waterproof foam is good at that, just civil aviation marker lights, which often aren't enough to fly safely.

Any further tips for either powering a normal size duck or proceeding with the holy crap sized duck?
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; Jan 06, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Jan 06, 2017, 05:58 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
The stock FT SeaDuck on 4s set up is ready made beast mode at will...but can still fly at an absurdly slow and docile manner all day long. The "new" wax paper type foamboard or wax paper depron.....would be perfect for snow even if left unpainted. (painting will just about make it snow proof).

The LED kit I have is the G.T. Power kit....essentially the exact same from HobbyKing Turnigy kit alright...except the controller board is black and capable of eight different patterns toggled by any open channel of your transmitter.

The stock FT SeaDuck is a perfect size.......any larger and it's tough to transport and haul in and out of the house. I do like bigger....but at some point bigger does in fact get into epic effort and cumbersome. The size as is....just right to grab and toss, yet big enough to present very well in flight.

I easily get 7min flight or more via 4s 30c 2200mAh LiPo......bigger batteries seemed to provide a little more time but not enough to warrant loss of "flick-a-billity" on this airframe.

I fly mine off of grass a lot.....scoots just fine and no wear whatsoever on the packing tape re-inforced bottom. The secret to this model is differiential thrust.....it's a hoot. The airframe is perfect for the power scheme set up.

The LED set up is killer fun on this model...if you choose to install....do it during the build ...not as post build modification.

If I dare say anymore....might be accused of sleeping with it - LOL

TwistedGrin
Jan 22, 2017, 11:38 PM
Somewhere in New York

Sea Duck

FT Sea Duke (2 min 6 sec)
Hi everybody!!!! Here my Sea Duck .....
Last edited by byteman; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:57 PM.
Jan 22, 2017, 11:50 PM
Somewhere in New York
This is a nice plane.....however Im Looking forward taking it to the water...
FP Sea Duke (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by byteman; Jan 23, 2017 at 12:52 AM.
Feb 14, 2017, 05:33 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Just found this video a fellow from our club field shot for his own review and consideration I think for building a SeaDuck:
Paul Is Flying His Sea Duck - A Kit From The Flite Test Folks (12 min 15 sec)

TwistedGrin
Feb 20, 2017, 07:10 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
My beloved FT SeaDuck is grounded.....on the third flight of this evening....one of the motors would only stutter...then went to total silence.....several attempts to calibrate failed to restore. The other motor seems just fine.

Tugging on the wires failed to gain any results....strange that it flew just fine...only failed when changing out batteries for the next flight.......

Diagnosis pending -

UPDATE:
One motor spins freely the other does not.....removed motor pod of failed motor side and hooked it up to another radio ESC combo...works OK.
Deployed another working motor on the failed nacelle of the SeaDuck...no workieee.
So it's either a failed ESC or failed wire loom......this will be difficult to remove from the airframe!!

UPDATE II:
Removal of ESC is very cumbersome to say the least....cut the back of my SeaDuck out for access to radio and wiring. Unplugged throttle wire from receiver and tied a string to it in hopes of "fishing" the wire back through as needed. More of a struggle to get the ESC power plug out of the wing and nacelle.....but finally got it out.
ESC no workieeee.....Dead.

Hopefully a new ESC of same type will work......usually replacing only one ESC is not recommended...but due to the difficulty of getting the ESC out.....I may opt for only one replacement.

UPDATE: Repairs completed...new ESC deployed....able to pull the throttle wire back through via string pull.....everything buttoned back up nicely.....easily calibrated both ESC's via transmitter......ready for continued operations

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Feb 25, 2017 at 05:10 PM.
Feb 22, 2017, 05:38 AM
Hi

I came across this and it seems like a good place to ask, how hard would it be for this plane to do what a parrot disco does?

I would have to change the nose to clear somehow for a camera, but does the hull have enough room for the parts?

I live at lake of the Ozarks and I saw the disco but I wanted something I can fly from my dock and the disco can do waypoints and this lake turns a lot.

And what could I use for bigger motors to fit?

What are opinions of using Tesla Model S 18650 Lithium Ion Cells?
Apr 07, 2017, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin
My beloved FT SeaDuck is grounded.....

UPDATE: Repairs completed...new ESC deployed....able to pull the throttle wire back through via string pull.....everything buttoned back up nicely.....easily calibrated both ESC's via transmitter......ready for continued operations

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin'er, please-please keep doing what you're doing as for posting about your experiences and not just with the SeaDuck, but any model. Noob's will benefit a lot but experienced pilots & modelers probably benefit more. And don't think no one is listening, quite the contrary. And these sentiments really go to Everyone, including several in this thread. Not everyone, myself included, take/make the time (or want) (or have the patience) to do this. So keep paying it forward friend(s)! Thishasbeenapublicrcgroupspsa.

6-years into RC flying and I easily recall reading sooo much here on RCG in my first 2-3 years just soaking it all in picking up tips & gems of info all along the way. And on this rant, I don't think I posted a single thing in 2016, I was MIA for RC flying, got back into nothing but motorcycling...and almost 9K miles to prove it. And I'm even the Secretary of our club that obviously didn't miss - or need - me. But I'm back to paying things forward at least on some level starting with perhaps already having a lock on 2017 Secretary of the Year.

So. Got my speed kit couple weeks ago built haven't started, and going to now purchase everything else for a 4S setup. Did you go with FT's power pack C or buy comparable components for your 4S setup? And more specifically, what size ESC and motors are on your 4S setup?

By the way, your color scheme and decals look fantastic.
Apr 28, 2017, 08:57 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
VG33 - I was safety officer of our local BMW motorcycle club for 10years.....still ride cross country on classic Airheads......work keeps me too close to home now....no extended trips but for annual vacation.

Flying and building has captivated me.....very enjoyable.....and a great release to get out in the sun after work.

This bird is one fantastic flyer.....my first foamboard ever...took my time to build it....glad I did.

TwistedGrin
Jun 28, 2017, 11:10 AM
I saw someone ask about landing gear on this plane, and I was wondering the same thing - here's why:

The two airfields I fly out of have runways. On either side of the runways are gravel and "dry grass", aka weeds with horrid stickers that get in EVERY little nook and cranny in a pair of shoes, socks, pants, and leg hairs. So, basically, you want to avoid setting a plane/glider/quadcopter/flying vehicle of any sort off of the runway.
Jul 03, 2017, 02:47 PM
Youtube channel: Wikiperkya
My FT Sea Duck is built...it's in the painting process now. It's got almost all the necessary yellow, now just needs the red. It takes longer to dry on the water resistant board.