FT Sea Duck!! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 09, 2016, 11:34 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
I think this is footage from flight #8 on this airframes 1st day to fly 10-08-16:
Flite Test 1600mm Sea Duck acrobatics from grass field 10-08-16 (6 min 9 sec)

TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2016, 01:06 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
LiPo battery update:

I am flying via 4s package stock motors on 9x4 CR differential thrust.

The lighter 4s 35c 2250mAh LiPo provides nearly the same flight times as my Zippy Compact 4s 20C 2700mAh LiPo and interestingly nearly the same as my Admiral 4s 30c 3000mAh LiPo.

There seems to be a point of diminishing return....based on the weight to flight duration so far. I am trying to fly down each LiPo to at or near 3.8v per cell and see how long it takes to get there......so far all of them are at or near the 6minute mark regardless of LiPo size.

So the only advantage to go with a heavier higher mAh is for heavier wind performance. Otherwise the little 4s 35c 2250mAh LiPo's do just fine!!

TwistedGrin
Oct 10, 2016, 11:08 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Fellas - I am reading the spec's on the Emaxx GT2215/09 motors.....I am running on 4s LiPo via 9.4 props. Emaxx spec's show only 2-3s LiPo power.

Anybody experiencing issues flying the Emaxx GT2215/09 via 4s LiPo power after awhile?

I have around 20 flights so far and no issues...very happy. Just wondering if 4s may be too much load on these motors in the long run?

TwistedGrin
Oct 11, 2016, 11:46 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
My 1st LED water flights!!!

Right at civil twilight:
Moon lit LED water flight of FT Sea Duck over Watauga Tx 10-11-16 (6 min 45 sec)

Just before civil twilight:
FT Sea Duck Capp Smith Waterway water trials 10-11-16 (10 min 31 sec)

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Oct 12, 2016 at 12:15 PM.
Oct 18, 2016, 09:26 AM
Does someone have an idea how to mount a landing gear ?
Oct 19, 2016, 03:32 PM
Why would you want landing gear? It does fine sliding on the ground.
Nov 01, 2016, 05:31 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
This is one of the funnest planes I have encountered....mine flies so well. I am shocked that it performs this well especially since it was my 1st ever laser cut foamboard R/C build.

I'd like to see more paint schemes "Livery"......so post up fellas'!!

TwistedGrin
Nov 04, 2016, 10:07 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Crickets ..... ...... ...... ..... ....... ...... .....Where'd everybody go?
Nov 06, 2016, 09:15 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
One flight of four flights of an evening outing posting here 11-05-16:
FT SeaDuck Capp Smith Park - Water Operations touch-n-go's (11 min 59 sec)

TwistedGrin
Nov 14, 2016, 01:07 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Flying this airframe at least 8-10times a week on water!!

FliteTest SeaDuck touch-n-go's on waterway 11-13-16 (8 min 42 sec)

TwistedGrin
Nov 14, 2016, 04:14 PM
Looks great, you're having far too much fun with that!
Nov 16, 2016, 08:23 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
On a recent flight during a hover ....the airframe was not flying very well. Upon landing I noticed the right plywood motor mount had come unglued. I was NOT able to remove the motor pod out of the nacelle.....so I simply poured and dripped hot glue around where the plywood motor mount interior face and pressed it back into place. Flies as good as new ......and off to continued flight operations.

Ya this build came out fantastic and is one of the most enjoyable aircraft I own....and that's out 69 planes in operation. The park venue is part of the allure to flying this plane off of water....it's very easy for me to get to and the water way scenery is most calming and charming. The LED package adds to the fun and .....it always draws a crowd and applause.....so ya......it's a good experience

TwistedGrin
Nov 18, 2016, 12:48 PM
How're everyone's Sea Ducks holding up? Water seepage from sitting in the drink? Rash from grass takeoffs/landings? Thinking of building one (only built one foam board plane to date). Any reinforcements you would recommend if you were doing it over again? Thanks.
Nov 25, 2016, 11:58 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by queezy
How're everyone's Sea Ducks holding up? Water seepage from sitting in the drink? Rash from grass takeoffs/landings? Thinking of building one (only built one foam board plane to date). Any reinforcements you would recommend if you were doing it over again? Thanks.
I think I am up to about 75 flights now....nearly lost a motor as the plywood mount came off the motor pod other than that no issues at all.

After my build and after painting I sealed up "every" exposed edge with Hot Glue.

One place that let water in my first couple of water flights is the underside wing were there is a triangle gap to the gondola in the rear...you will see it after completion. After I sealed that up...no water at all inside even then - was less than a teaspoon.

Make sure you tape the bottom of the main gondola like Josh does in the build video and wrap up along the training edge (Transom in this case). This airframe is a beast...take your time building.....it's worth any extra effort. An excellent flyer - PERIOD.

I think painting helped water seal even more....the packing tape is a must on the bottom side. I laid down my tape first of course then painted. Probably around 30 flights on grass.....no damages and no scratches...paint still perfectly intact.

I put LED's on my airframe.....looks great and helps a lot in early morning late evening flights.......spectacular on water late evening reflections.

Suggest looking at some 1500mm Decal sets from HobbyKing to "personalize" your airframe or perhaps Callie Graphics also...it's all fun.

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Nov 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Dec 28, 2016, 11:19 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Logged 50th flight last evening.....six flights on the water yesterday....all fun. Now the ducks don't even care if the Empire Seaduck flies just over their heads on landing approach

Anybody else still enjoying this airframe?

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 28, 2016 at 10:23 PM.