FT Sea Duck!! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 16, 2016, 07:13 AM
Yes, i noticed in the video they had a huge servo for the elevator. I will investigate the options, i do prefer to have a plane that doesn't need constant upgrades or adjustments. Ill probably put some uprated motors into it too as it is always nice to have power in reserve.

Also noted from the video that their wings were removable which i dont think is the case on the normal size model. I will have to have a think about how i do this! Looking forward to the build, will report back when i make some progress. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Heh, I started out with 12 gram digital metal gears (with 2 on the elevator), but by the time the build was completed 3 of them had died on me.

Replaced the tail first with some 9 grams I had in the box, then went and bought some heavier servos from the store at the event for the ailerons. Should have probably replaced the tail servos as well, but the plane was so incredibly light and the motors were so small I wasn't too concerned (4.5 pounds maybe).

That and I had flying to do.

9 grams served me well for the length of the event. Was able to loop and roll at least. Kinda goofy for a PBY but fun.

https://youtu.be/y90XW355p9s

The Sea Duck had some great big servos on it. Michael told me he begged his dad not to use 9 grams. If you're going to be doing stunts and such in the Duck, and especially if you use bigger motors, servos bigger than 9 grams are probably a very good idea.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2016, 07:59 AM

200% version

I have just been to the printers and had the A1 Sea Duck plans printed out at 200% on A0 paper. The printer advised that this would be 140% bigger than the 100% scale plans.

Looking pretty huge and exciting!
Last edited by Liveezy; Sep 26, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
Sep 24, 2016, 01:31 PM
I have just made the power pods. One thing I did not foresee is the difference in size when it comes to the fold lines. The size of the cuts are bigger but the foam is not, so if you don't adjust your cuts you will end up with a gap that is too big.

I am using 10x4 props, 1450Kv motors and 30A ESCs because I had them lying around but l might need to upgrade to a beefier power train at a later date depending on how it performs at cruising speed. Worth noting that I am using UK foam board which is quite a bit heavier than the DTFB.
Last edited by Liveezy; Sep 26, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
Sep 25, 2016, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveezy
I have just been to the printers and had the A1 Sea Duck plans printed out at 200% on A0 paper. The printer advised that this would be 140% bigger than the 100% scale plans.

Looking pretty huge and exciting!
Is A0 paper size difference factoring in there? I'm confused as to how 200% becomes 140%. Maybe it would make sense if I could see your pictures. None of the pictures in your posts are showing up. Maybe they're private?
Sep 26, 2016, 01:18 PM
I have added the pictures as attachments instead.

I asked for them at 200% on A0 but they advised that they would fit them to A0 paper and that would be 140% larger. I suppose A0 is 40% bigger than A1? I thought each A size was double the size of the previous.
Sep 26, 2016, 01:28 PM
A0 has double the area of A1, so each side is 2^(1/2) or approx 1.4 times longer.
Sep 28, 2016, 01:46 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Gents, I have just purchased my very 1st FT speed kit build with the Sea Duck...looks like a fantastic flier.....it only took me 8hrs to figure out a differential thrust set up using Spektrum DX6 and Spektrum AR7610 receiver.....Throttle/Aux1 set up.

Not sure I'll ever fly off of water...but if decide to......what does everyone do to water proof the exposed edges....and what kind of paint can you use on this paper?

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
PaperFoamBoard Noooob
Sep 29, 2016, 11:29 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Aye - never mind.....found Peter's video....lightly sand the paper and then apply several light coats of spray paint at will.......

TwistedGrin
Oct 04, 2016, 06:31 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
Any of you take off from grass? How does it fare? I am considering building a 2m version (maybe larger) I'm sure it's fine but I thought I'd ask.

Ohh and the stock size, how many sheets does it take if you don't use the kit?
Oct 05, 2016, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
Any of you take off from grass? How does it fare? I am considering building a 2m version (maybe larger) I'm sure it's fine but I thought I'd ask.

Ohh and the stock size, how many sheets does it take if you don't use the kit?
Check my video on the first page. It works great off of grass.
Oct 05, 2016, 06:26 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
This was my first build of any kind with the foam board....pretty neat. Thank's to Josh and Flight Test build video....I would have been lost without the video.

I ordered the speed kit and all the components .....top shelf components including the glue gun, glue sticks, tape and tools.....the system electronics and motors are especially nice.

Great product....great practice in use of better components.....and the flight video's demonstrating the airframe performance is what I was looking for.

I'll bet I have at least 15hrs build time on this build....added a six toggle LED light kit....hopefully the all the prep, sanding and painting will be completed this evening so I can add some details color accents and antenna wire.....love the sticker logo of the plane....but since there is only one of the Sea Duck I may not use it....perhaps one on each outside Tail Rudder Fin would be appropriate.

I did deploy two small magnets to the top hatch door. Also special note. .....
I have to place my 4s 35c 2250mAh LiPo way up in front to achieve the COG at the points provided on the underside of the main wing. Additionally I needed to fish through another Velcro battery strap to help hold the LiPo at the forward position then glue down a strip of Velcro to help secure the battery that far forward.....so I would advise putting your Velcro battery straps in the number two and three slots from the front of the battery tray.

I sanded down the entire airframe very lightly with 220grit sandpaper....then applied four very light coats of Valspar spray PrimerTopCoat yellow to get a consistent coverage....then masked off the plane for the Red spray sections.

It's still pretty neat to think....four days ago it was all flat sheets of stamped foam board!!

I have dialed in my travel adjustments and set up my dual rates. Thanks to some internet video's showing how to set up Spektrum differential thrust.....I am ready to maiden....perhaps this Saturday if the weather clears!!
Spektrum DX9 - Differential Thrust Setup (13 min 10 sec)

A very well designed and delivered product....thanks to all!!

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Oct 07, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Oct 06, 2016, 08:00 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Fella's are any of you flying with larger 4s LiPo than a 2250mAh at or near 225grams.....wondering how much weight this airframe can handle without too much duress

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
Oct 07, 2016, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin
Fella's are any of you flying with larger 4s LiPo than a 2250mAh at or near 225grams.....wondering how much weight this airframe can handle without too much duress

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
Mine flies with a 4000mah 3s battery with no problem but I put a carbon fiber arrow in the spar.
Oct 07, 2016, 06:27 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Thanks Localfiend,

I hope this airframe last a long time barring any pilot errors and hangar rash.....

EMPIRE Airlines just acquired it's first FliteTest Sea Duck for mail operations...

TwistedGrin
Oct 08, 2016, 10:25 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
WOW!!

This airframe flies very well.....what a hoot. Maiden plus 10-12 flights today in moderate winds between 8-10mph. Perfect for grass field operations. Flew on the 4s 35c 2250 and a Zippy Compact 25c 2700mA LiPo....the heavier battery did better in the stiffer winds....easy 7min flights with no issues.

All stunts....inverted, loops, rolls, hovering, zero ground speed balancing, hammer heads, touch-n-go's all day long. Very good ground handling with the differential thrust.

I am no hot shot pilot nor am I a professional sponsored pilot and I have never portrayed as such on T.V.....but I must say from an average club pilot.........This might be one of the "funnest" airframes I have out of 64 operational plane in my hanger.

The late evening LED flights are also wonderful.....a big hit a the club field today.

Very glad I jumped in the foamboard hot glue build bunch on this airframe. Inspecting the airframe after flying it all day.....no signs of fatigue anywhere...even the paint on the bottom step is perfect ...unbelievable !!!!!! I'll have some video posted soon.

Love this plane!!
Flite Test 1600mm Sea Duck differiential thrust acrobat flight 10-08-16 (6 min 47 sec)

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Oct 09, 2016 at 11:35 AM.