FT Sea Duck!! - RC Groups
Jun 17, 2016, 04:23 PM
Discussion

FT Sea Duck!!

Flite Test Sea Duck!!

Review video:
DIY Foam Board Water Plane (The FT Sea Duck) | Flite Test (19 min 11 sec)

Build video:
FT Sea Duck - BUILD | Flite Test (2 hr 13 min 36 sec)

Lets see your guys Thoughts, Mods, FPV, Pics, Videos, and anything else Sea Duck!
Last edited by Badeki; Jun 17, 2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Fixing youtube links
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2016, 04:45 PM
I want one! It will have to wait since I already have too big of a backlog but I will definitely get one. I am interested to see other's experiences.
Jun 21, 2016, 04:40 PM
Found this awesome TaleSpin shirt.

http://www.bustedtees.com/baloosairservice
Jun 22, 2016, 05:49 PM
Running jokes into the ground
I've got parts on order to upscale to 8' wingspan. Hopefully will fly at flite fest
Jun 22, 2016, 09:47 PM
I have the plans all cut out. Will start cutting foam tomorrow. Power pack c is on the way.
Jun 29, 2016, 02:49 PM
FT Sea duck maiden flight (4 min 27 sec)

Finished it yesterday and maiden today. Flies great and looks good doing it. I used the power pack C with a 2200ma 3s battery. Looking forward to taking it to the water.
Jun 29, 2016, 04:49 PM
Looks Great!! I maidened mine on Friday and it flew just like yours. Such a great aircraft. It is a ton of fun to just scoot across the ground or water without actually taking off, but just watch out for the grass staining it. I will post some pics soon.
Jun 29, 2016, 07:45 PM
Looks good! Thanks for posting. Flite Test talked about using a 4 cell but since it takes off in 3 feet with the 3 cell, that is what I will plan on using.
Jul 02, 2016, 01:55 PM
Sea Duck off the water. (4 min 41 sec)

Got to try it on the water today. It does great.
Jul 02, 2016, 05:13 PM
Very nice, I can see you enjoyed that!
Jul 05, 2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks Mark. It is a fantastic design and such a smooth flyer. I would recommend it to anyone who likes building and wants a great flying plane.
Sep 14, 2016, 04:02 PM

200% version

Has anyone built a 200%version, im thinking about doing a 225% version which will take the wingspan over 3m but have a few questions in my mind.

What power system should i use, should i shoot for 200% more wattage? What would that look like, higher Kv, more cells, bigger props?

What challenges will the wings present? Im thinking a nice big spar will help with rigidity.

What about the build it self, will the plans be a nightmare at that size, given that the normal size is based on A1 sheets of foam?

All questions i am excited to get my head around!
Sep 14, 2016, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveezy
Has anyone built a 200%version, im thinking about doing a 225% version which will take the wingspan over 3m but have a few questions in my mind.

What power system should i use, should i shoot for 200% more wattage? What would that look like, higher Kv, more cells, bigger props?

What challenges will the wings present? Im thinking a nice big spar will help with rigidity.

What about the build it self, will the plans be a nightmare at that size, given that the normal size is based on A1 sheets of foam?

All questions i am excited to get my head around!
Josh Bixler's younger son built one around 200% for Flite Fest this year.

You can see it in action starting at 27 minutes in this video:

World Record Event!! Giant Square Plane | Flite Fest 2016 - Part 2 (30 min 42 sec)

It's actually pretty darned easy to build at this size with foamboard. In the same video at 12:20 you can see my PBY Catalina that's similar in size. With some help from a couple guys and on on site CNC machine I was able to build and fly the whole thing onsite in a couple days.

My build took 24 sheets of 20x30" foamboard, dunno how many for the Sea Duck.

The Sea Duck had much bigger motors than what I used on the Catalina but probably would have flown just fine without the larger power system. (I used two flitetest C pack motors, the same recommended for use on the small size sea duck). I think I wrote down the specs for the motors on the Duck but I'd have to find them. I think it had 15" props and something like a 40mmish 500-600 kv motor.

You can see that not a lot changes. Get yourself a nice big wood spar, maybe add a bit of carbon in areas that look weak, and double up tail control surfaces and it's all good.
Sep 15, 2016, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Josh Bixler's younger son built one around 200% for Flite Fest this year.

You can see it in action starting at 27 minutes in this video:

https://youtu.be/VEzj4nIt5IQ

It's actually pretty darned easy to build at this size with foamboard. In the same video at 12:20 you can see my PBY Catalina that's similar in size. With some help from a couple guys and on on site CNC machine I was able to build and fly the whole thing onsite in a couple days.

My build took 24 sheets of 20x30" foamboard, dunno how many for the Sea Duck.

The Sea Duck had much bigger motors than what I used on the Catalina but probably would have flown just fine without the larger power system. (I used two flitetest C pack motors, the same recommended for use on the small size sea duck). I think I wrote down the specs for the motors on the Duck but I'd have to find them. I think it had 15" props and something like a 40mmish 500-600 kv motor.

You can see that not a lot changes. Get yourself a nice big wood spar, maybe add a bit of carbon in areas that look weak, and double up tail control surfaces and it's all good.
Thanks for the info, all useful stuff. Did you use standard 9g servos? Im thinking I will do the same but go for a higher quality one with metal gears. The cheapo ones I used in my normal size guinea pig keep stripping out.
Sep 15, 2016, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveezy
Thanks for the info, all useful stuff. Did you use standard 9g servos? Im thinking I will do the same but go for a higher quality one with metal gears. The cheapo ones I used in my normal size guinea pig keep stripping out.
Heh, I started out with 12 gram digital metal gears (with 2 on the elevator), but by the time the build was completed 3 of them had died on me.

Replaced the tail first with some 9 grams I had in the box, then went and bought some heavier servos from the store at the event for the ailerons. Should have probably replaced the tail servos as well, but the plane was so incredibly light and the motors were so small I wasn't too concerned (4.5 pounds maybe).

That and I had flying to do.

9 grams served me well for the length of the event. Was able to loop and roll at least. Kinda goofy for a PBY but fun.

Giant PBY Catalina Maiden Flite Fest 2016 (5 min 0 sec)

The Sea Duck had some great big servos on it. Michael told me he begged his dad not to use 9 grams. If you're going to be doing stunts and such in the Duck, and especially if you use bigger motors, servos bigger than 9 grams are probably a very good idea.