Aug 27, 2004, 07:44 AM
Question

What kind of receivers are you guys using in your ap planes?

Hi everyone. I am very interested in getting started into AP and right now I have a 34 inch homemade delta wing that I am trying to make suitable for ap and a Nikon coolpix 3700 I was wondering what receiver you guys reccomend for ap (right now I have a feather 4 receiver and I don't think I trust that receiver with my Nikon in it ) I still am not sure if I want to fly my nice little camera around in a model plane ...seems to risky but I definately don't want to fly it around with a feather 4.
Thanks
Dan
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2004, 08:06 AM
De-Brushed user
Berg 5 is great
Aug 27, 2004, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoflyer
Hi everyone. I am very interested in getting started into AP and right now I have a 34 inch homemade delta wing that I am trying to make suitable for ap and a Nikon coolpix 3700 I was wondering what receiver you guys reccomend for ap (right now I have a feather 4 receiver and I don't think I trust that receiver with my Nikon in it ) I still am not sure if I want to fly my nice little camera around in a model plane ...seems to risky but I definately don't want to fly it around with a feather 4.
Thanks
Dan
I would not risk a camera with any less than a proven dual conversion receiver. The Feather 4 is single conversion and the mfg says its limited to 1000ft. Great for indoor and close in park flying but I would not use it for AP.

My 2 cents.
Aug 27, 2004, 08:20 AM
Altitude is your friend.
Unlike a lot of folks, I've got confidence in tiny single conversion receivers. I go with them because of their lighter weight. I currently have six GWS R4-P receivers and one Hi Tech Feather in planes. I've got a 3/4 oz Hi Tech 555 that's been sitting in my spare parts bin for a couple of years. Perfectly good, but feels like a brick compared to the others.

I often fly high enough and far enough that orientation starts to become a problem, but reception has never failed me yet (knock on wood). My camera's just an Aiptek, but I don't want to ding it up, either.
Aug 27, 2004, 10:16 AM
I've flown with the GWS Naro 6ch many times at spec distance, but I currently use a berg5 dsp and it works great with very little weight gain.
Aug 27, 2004, 10:23 AM
Professional Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry
I've flown with the GWS Naro 6ch many times at spec distance, but I currently use a berg5 dsp and it works great with very little weight gain.
HiTec 555 switching to Berg 6 DSP
Aug 27, 2004, 11:48 AM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transition
HiTec 555 switching to Berg 6 DSP
Why?
Aug 27, 2004, 12:04 PM
I am useing Hitec 555 ch and Electron 6 ch & super slim 8 ch
and Berg 5 ch

BAR-STOOL
Aug 27, 2004, 12:43 PM
Ascended Master
I've used the Feather on my Yard Stik for AP.
Futaba 114H, 127D, 128D, Hitec 555, 535, Supreme, Electron...for larger planes.
It's more a function of the transmitter, needing at least 4 channels.. some of my planes use 6 or more.
Aug 27, 2004, 12:52 PM
De-Brushed user
I dont think the feather is good for indoors especially, and not even parkflying alone, its a POS.
Aug 27, 2004, 01:38 PM
MX
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Hitec 555 on my AP plane. Bergs on all my others.

MX
Aug 27, 2004, 02:29 PM
Swim Bike Run Repeat

hitec

supreme 8 with case removed

Dan
Aug 27, 2004, 02:56 PM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Picoflyer - What's your estimated AUW with the 3700 on your 34" span delta? I'm worried your wing loading is going to go up considerably and your going to have a 'RocketCAM' on your hands?
Neil
Aug 27, 2004, 03:12 PM
Professional Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
Why?
Actually shouldn't say switching really - my main AP plane will have the Berg - and my second slow stick (the dinking around one) will have the 555. My Carbon Stick will have the berg in it though.
Aug 27, 2004, 03:16 PM
I have two Berg 5's because I heard they were great but mine are twitchy or at least in my neighborhood (I fly 1/4 mile away from where I live). At some random interval they will fully deflect one of my servos with no input from the tXmitter but only for less than a second. This happens with my Hitec tXmitter turned on and sitting 3 feet away. For my normal flying this isn't much of a problem because it is very brief and only happens once a minute or so but when I strap on that much $$$ I get paranoid. I use my old Hitec 555 on my AP flights (Slow Stick or Easy Star). It is a little heavier and more expensive but based on my experience is rock solid. I don’t get any “twitching”. I have not tried any of the GWS receivers yet but the prices make it tempting. I have a little experience with the Plantraco combo rx/speed control and it seems OK but I do not have enough flight time on it yet to really recommend it. It is going in a MM Cessna 180 as soon as I get around to finishing it.