Nov 15, 2019, 05:53 PM
rc user
hams, can you post some pictures?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2019, 06:10 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
Here ya go.

Just gave it a very very quick run...initial thoughts:

- Throttle and steering is vague. Partly due to the useless radio, but also coz the ESC has no punch from a standstill, plus the level of proportional throttle is really really bad. Braking seems to be pretty good but with the rubbish radio it's hard to determine how controllable it really is. I have read that SST changed their ESC over to something else, and no-one seems to have been able to crack it, so out it will go.
- Steering servo, while quite strong (and doesn't help that the difficult-to-adjust servo saver is so ridiculously soft) is the slowest POS i've ever seen. In the bin that too will go.
- Rims/tyres seem good, but are rubbish once you get them rolling - the front ones are so out-of-round it's a joke. DBX adaptors and 1/8 wheels, stat!
- I've got BZ-222 red rear springs on the back to help combat the spring rate, but the geometry is a bit off. Going to the outside hole on the suspension arms has helped, but a bit more fiddling to be done. The shocks are surprisingly good though, apart from one needs a bit of oil tuning to get it to behave like the others.

It should be a lot of fun once I sort a few things (like any RTR). It was cheap enough and there still seem to be parts around for them so should last for a decent amount of bashing.
Nov 15, 2019, 07:08 PM
rc user
JX servo is good/cheap/fast replacement. RTR's would be much better if they came with one in the first place.
BZ-222, LOL, that's a love/hate car for me. dang belt.. i run the red springs on my BZ all around, much better than stock.

thanks for the pics, I've been pondering purchase of this car to bash, and the Kyosho model to display, I'm a sucker for the yellow wheels.
Nov 15, 2019, 07:21 PM
I swap my RTR rubbish out with DSServo units - they're cheap and fast (pretty much the same as JX, probably from the same factory). I have a couple spare that i'll use.

I only have 222 springs coz HK had them super-cheap on the cyber sale...hoping they'd fit some of my other shocks but nope, only good for the Skull Crusher shocks (but too soft) and now it seems the SST shocks I think most of the issue is suspension geometry rather than spring/oil selection...early days though.

My thoughts so far? Buy it. It's cheap, pretty well made, parts are cheap and still around, and it looks good.
Nov 15, 2019, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
I'm a sucker for the yellow wheels.
Join the club! Easier to see on the back straight when lining up jumps too.

I have my eye on an SC6 Readyset...part of the allure are the yellow wheels
Nov 19, 2019, 03:16 AM
FYI, the ESCs installed in recent SST stuff seems to run the same firmware as Racerstar/Surpass Hobby ESCs - so the little red or white program card works nicely with it.
Nov 25, 2019, 04:29 PM
Really thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. It looks so nice!
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Nov 25, 2019, 04:33 PM
rc user
me too. I'm looking for a durable basher Truggy, and wondering if this is a good size or would an 1/8 scale be better..
Nov 25, 2019, 04:43 PM
I have had 1/8 and 1/10, and generally like the 1/10 more. Easier to transport, uses less batteries, and doesn't need as much room to run. I love running my 1/8 monster trucks, don't get me wrong, but they need a whole lot more space than 1/10 stuff does.
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Nov 25, 2019, 04:48 PM
Size-wise, it kinda sits in that SCT camp - a little smaller than 1/8, but beefier than 1/10. When driving it doesn't feel as "beastly" as a 1/8 typically does.

With the DBX hub adapters you open up a world of 1/8 wheels. It also handles SCT wheels (I have a set of Louise Rockets for road that look pretty good on this buggy).

'Tis a cheap basher, and wakes up with a decent servo, RC system and some ESC programming.
Nov 25, 2019, 06:13 PM
rc user
any long term reports on durability?
wear item like diffs, outdrive cups, done bones, etc..?
Nov 28, 2019, 08:21 PM
Feeling a bit p!@@#D off at the moment, just wasted $40 on a set of DBX wheel/hub adapters.

I find that the current model 1937 runs 5mm axles, not 6mm as per the earlier revision and as such the adapters are useless. Now i'm a bit stuck wheel-wise, and $40 down. Might just stick with SCT rims.

I might be able to hunt down some replacement axles, and they'll need different bearings, but i'm thinking the whole knuckle may also need to be replaced to suit.
Nov 28, 2019, 09:11 PM
rc user
yeah that sucks. the details will get you every time..
Dec 08, 2019, 11:06 PM
Does anyone have an electronic copy of the 1937 manual? Specifically the parts/exploded diagrams.
Considering going to the older 6mm axles so I have more than just SCT wheels to use, but need to see what parts i'd need - might not be cost effective in the end.
Nov 15, 2023, 02:29 PM
Please call me Dana
I just found this site and they seem to have a lot of spare parts for the SST 1937. I didn't know this site existed until now. I've really been careful with my buggy as I didn't know if I could find spare parts for it. Now I can drive with a bit more abandon. I've never ordered from this site before, does anyone here have any experience with them?

https://www.rchighperformancehobbies...product&s=1937

Quick Reply