Aug 15, 2019, 06:07 PM
'Bout the same here in MN.! And lately it's starting to look like an early fall......it just has that feeling.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 07:38 PM
Roger, don't most of your UMX 2-cells airplanes have Over Current Protection when flying on 3-cells?
Last edited by Audioguru; Aug 15, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Aug 16, 2019, 10:18 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru
Roger, don't most of your UMX 2-cells airplanes have Over Current Protection when flying on 3-cells?
Ag,

Yes.
It's a beautiful feature that's built in the board.
When OCP kicks in, the throttle shuts down.
To re-arm, you just lower the throttle stick to idle for one second.

Flying (3S) batts in (2S) UMX planes:

*Cool outside temps. (I don't fly in temps over 80 deg)
*Do anything you can to improve the airflow over the brick.
(Reduce spinner size, airscoop, etc)
*Prop down or lower motor Kv if necessary.
*Balance that prop.
*Run 'Wide Open Throttle' in the sky, not while holding the plane.
*Reinforce the airframe if necessary.
(Long, flat, thin, vertical stabs need an additional cf rod added)

I only fly (3S) batts in my UMX planes.
It's been 7-8 years now.
I fly 3-5 days a week. (Year-round)
I bring 30-40 fully charged batts to the field each morning.

I love flying UMX planes on 3S power!
AS3X technology is the best!
I love flying in the wind.
I love flying in the early morning calm!
I typically bring 6 planes to the field.
2) Beast 3D's
SBACH 3D
F-27
Mini Convergence
Timber, Waco or Warbird.

Roger
Aug 28, 2019, 09:26 AM
Well...bummer!

Was going to order one of these the next time it came on sale...expecting that to be this fall.
But now HH shows it as DISCONTINUED!

Oh, well. Had other planes I wanted more, but I guess that's what I get for waiting.

Tom
Aug 28, 2019, 01:15 PM
So...maybe they'll re-release it about Christmas time...as a new UMX with a new paint scheme, flaps and retracts?

Tm
Aug 28, 2019, 01:23 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr
So...maybe they'll re-release it about Christmas time...as a new UMX with a new paint scheme, flaps and retracts?

Tm

Tom,

Don't hold your breath.

Grab a P-51 off Ebay...asap!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Efl...ad5d%7Ciid%3A1

Roger
Aug 28, 2019, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL

Tom,

Don't hold your breath.

Grab a P-51 off Ebay...asap!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Efl...ad5d%7Ciid%3A1

Roger
Yep. Another micro bites the dust. A little over a week ago, it was the classic T-28 UM, now this.
Aug 28, 2019, 05:33 PM
aka ShadowVFX
At least this one lasted for a little while. The UMX F-27 FPV lasted less than 2 years.
Aug 29, 2019, 02:53 PM
It's my fault! I just got one of these. Everytime I'm late to the party they discontinue the plane I just got. Now I only have ONE plane that is not obsolete.....the umx PT-17! So I expect now that will soon disapeer also! What the hell are we supposed to do for parts?.....especially these little motors? All but one of my planes are HH. .....BUT I'M ABOUT DONE WITH THEM!! About all they have left for choices are planes that are overpriced and too big to fly in the only places I CAN fly!
Aug 29, 2019, 09:08 PM
Elfi Flyer
Really hard to believe that HH would drop the UMX P-51 BL Mustang. IMHO, one of the best of the UMX models out there, especially in windy weather. Thanks, Roger, for the heads-up on this.

RD
Aug 30, 2019, 12:23 AM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
It's my fault! I just got one of these. Everytime I'm late to the party they discontinue the plane I just got. Now I only have ONE plane that is not obsolete.....the umx PT-17! So I expect now that will soon disapeer also! What the hell are we supposed to do for parts?.....especially these little motors? All but one of my planes are HH. .....BUT I'M ABOUT DONE WITH THEM!! About all they have left for choices are planes that are overpriced and too big to fly in the only places I CAN fly!
Not sure about 2S brushless motors but you can get the 1S jobs here.
https://micro-motor-warehouse.com/co...ons/all-motors

Got some of these for my UMs and they have been great.
https://micro-motor-warehouse.com/co.../cl-0820-17-9t
Last edited by Peter Phillipps; Aug 30, 2019 at 12:31 AM.
Aug 30, 2019, 09:54 AM
HH reps have said that the P-51 has always been one of theirtop sellers. They've always had one in their lineup somewhere.
This one has had a good run for a few years. So I'm guessing they've got another one coming soon and have let this one go , maybe to create the vacuum for the next one to fill.

Tom
Aug 30, 2019, 03:10 PM
Old Prop Buster
We have lost our best flying field in town but still have several smaller fields to fly from. I have wanted to get one of these small UMX planes for awhile and now I have a reason to. I am an experienced pilot and have always wanted a Mustang, so if I want one I better hurry. I have read a lot of this thread and I have a few questions hopefully someone can help with.
1. Do all of the planes have the decalage problem? I have a decalage gauge for sailplanes that probably won't work on this little plane, what is the best way to measure the decalage?
2. If I turn it into a belly lander does the belly hold up well, or after a short while does the belly get destroyed?
Thanks in advance.
Gary
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Aug 30, 2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Found answer to paint question and removed it.
Aug 30, 2019, 06:27 PM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb
We have lost our best flying field in town but still have several smaller fields to fly from. I have wanted to get one of these small UMX planes for awhile and now I have a reason to. I am an experienced pilot and have always wanted a Mustang, so if I want one I better hurry. I have read a lot of this thread and I have a few questions hopefully someone can help with.
1. Do all of the planes have the decalage problem? I have a decalage gauge for sailplanes that probably won't work on this little plane, what is the best way to measure the decalage?
2. If I turn it into a belly lander does the belly hold up well, or after a short while does the belly get destroyed?
Thanks in advance.
Gary
I have two and out of the box one needed next to no trim in pitch the other needed a pile of down trim,
it seems they are a bit hit and miss re the decalage issue? I would fly it out of the box being prepared for
it to climb aggressively, if it doesn't you got a good one.

All my micro warbirds are land launch/belly landers, warbirds and undercart no way!I use clear tape to
protect the underside this works well, I have also bent up some undercart legs as skids, don't have a pic
of my Mustang but here's my Thunderbolt, you will see I also added bomb racks which double as skids.

As with my Thunderbolt I also modded my Mustangs so the battery hatch is on top not the bottom, they
are a bit fiddly changing the battery on the underside, put a bit of foam in the underside battery cavity
painted and taped over.
Aug 31, 2019, 09:15 AM
Sir Dumb Thumb,

Peter has given you the best answer regarding the dreaded decalage issue. However, the only UMX warbird which has had a real history of that is the UMX P-47. Mine had it, but it's a pretty easy fix. So you've got a better than even chance that the P-51 should be fine.

As for hand launch and grass land flying, go for it! Just make sure the grass field is smooth.

I keep the LG on my UMXs mainly because I love ROG and LG landing on the street...and touch-n-go maneuvers. But my 1S micro warbirds fly so much better without the LG, that I always fly them that way. Have for years. They don't weigh hardly anything. So I just gently plop em down onto soft grass, and have had no damage from that.

Good luck!

Tom

Quick Reply