Jul 22, 2019, 10:47 AM
aka ShadowVFX
I do this on all my planes to calibrate them to MY transmitter. The Horizon products are usually pretty good out of the box, but especially if you're buying a plane used, it could be calibrated to some other guy's transmitter and be totally different from yours. Doing the calibration thing helps to setup the plane so it's throttle matches the range of your Tx's throttle.

That said, others have informed me that the UMX planes don't do the throttle calibration like their bigger brothers. I wasn't aware of this. So, my advice and that video won't do you much good for the mini planes.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 07:12 PM
To answer the question ....this is a brand new out of the box from HH plane. I only have a DX4e transmitter ,which all of my micros work flawlessly on. I don't think all that programming stuff in that download( which I can't begin to understand) is even applicable to this TX .
Jul 22, 2019, 08:44 PM
At 7.38V your battery is nearly dead. Hammering the throttle to maximum probably overloads the battery then its voltage suddenly drops to less than 6.1V which shuts down the motor and the LED on the brick will flash.

If the motor squeals when you hammer the throttle then the motor is drawing the max allowed current and the motor will shutdown. it might happen only when the battery has a full charge.
Jul 22, 2019, 09:06 PM
Audio...I didn't pay attention to ,or notice any blinking lights....but I'm beginning to believe you may be right. I need to charge up a battery and try it ....but no flying weather around here lately so it wouldn't get flown,and I don't like to leave battery's charged too long!
Jul 23, 2019, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
To answer the question ....this is a brand new out of the box from HH plane. I only have a DX4e transmitter ,which all of my micros work flawlessly on. I don't think all that programming stuff in that download( which I can't begin to understand) is even applicable to this TX .
The programming stuff should still work with your transmitter, but I agree you have to read it several times to begin to make sense of it. Since yours is new, I would definitely recommend checking with Horizon if you can't get it straightened out with a fully charged battery. My first one had either a bad motor or esc/rx so I called them and after a discussion and some trouble shooting steps they concurred and sent me a complete new plane and said keep the first one for spare parts. YMMV but I've always found them to have great customer service.
Jul 23, 2019, 05:58 AM
EthanRC
The UMX P-51 is taking the sky's today. Along with some other planes. Hope that there wont be any crashes.
Jul 23, 2019, 07:28 AM
One question on the 3S stuff and I'll leave it to rest. Can you use HV 3s? Or will that surely brick the controller? Reason I"m asking I have some perfect fitting BNG 3S 300's that I use on my Micro drone but there High Voltage with an XT30. Just wondering if it's a bit too much? Anyone try HV (High Voltage) Batteries?
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Jul 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Jul 25, 2019, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
One question on the 3S stuff and I'll leave it to rest. Can you use HV 3s? Or will that surely brick the controller? Reason I"m asking I have some perfect fitting BNG 3S 300's that I use on my Micro drone but there High Voltage with an XT30. Just wondering if it's a bit too much? Anyone try HV (High Voltage) Batteries?
If in doubt, just don't charge them up past 4.2v per cell.
Jul 27, 2019, 04:53 PM
Where is the best CG for this plane...and measured from where? Everybody is placing a 280 in the middle or all the way forward....mine has to be all the way back to balance! I measured 40 mm from the leading edge where the wing meats the faired part of the fuselage....or should it be right up against the fuselage? ........Yes,I read the manual....just a bit unclear.
Last edited by OhBee; Jul 27, 2019 at 05:09 PM.
Jul 27, 2019, 05:32 PM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Where is the best CG for this plane...and measured from where? Everybody is placing a 280 in the middle or all the way forward....mine has to be all the way back to balance! I measured 40 mm from the leading edge where the wing meats the faired part of the fuselage....or should it be right up against the fuselage? ........Yes,I read the manual....just a bit unclear.
I have two of these and the CG is slightly different on both, to answer your question I
believe the CG should be measured from the wing root, where it meets the fuselage.
(happy to be corrected)

However and this isn't going to help you, decalage can vary and therefore effect pitch!
This is the angle of the tailplane in relation to the mainplane.

The UM P47 had this issue and some P51 owners have reported it as well. The frustrating
thing about this is it's not consistent, only one of my P51s had a decalage issue? I think some
of these things can be assembled with slight differences in the factory!?

Again happy to be corrected but my rule of thumb is 1/3rd from the leading edge is going to
get you close, and I use this, thumb and fore finger CG gauge in the field when I fly.

Hope this helps rather than hinders............
Jul 27, 2019, 07:15 PM
Yeah....not concerned wth a decolage issue at this point,just the proper CG. Every picture I see of this plane shows the batt full foreward. Mine only balances correctly the the batt full rearward.
Jul 27, 2019, 08:28 PM
aka ShadowVFX
I couldn't tell you exactly where the CG spot is. But I use 180 batteries in mine and this plane flies just fine with the battery all the way forward or back. If you're worried about where it should be for a maiden flight, I'd stick it in the center of the battery well and start there. Then adjust it fore or aft depending on your personal preferences.
Jul 27, 2019, 09:31 PM
EthanRC
You could just do what i do and hav ethe battery all the way forward.
Jul 29, 2019, 12:26 PM
Both my P-51 and P-47 have the batteries all the way forward and the P-51 needed some work to align the tail while the P-47 did not. It took me a few flights to get the decalage right on the P-51. I needed almost full down elevator on the maiden to get her back on the ground. I cut the tape, made shims from a business card, and kept adding them until she flew level.
Jul 29, 2019, 05:19 PM
Decalage on mine LOOKS spot on!! . But....I did put in a bit of down elevator for the maiden,which hasn't happened yet due to wind,wind,wind!

Quick Reply