Sep 22, 2019, 10:29 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
I don't think the P-51 is all that fast. Faster than the old 1S P-51, but I would say my 1S UMX B-25 is much faster. The P-51 has no issues flying around at half throttle and even full throttle isn't all that quick. None of my planes are very fast and I prefer slower scale flying over speed. I wouldn't be too worried about flying the P-51. She is a very stable and easy flying plane. I would say she is far less twitchy than the old 1S planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
I guess some folks have a different perception of fast! ...or they are youngsters with lightning reflexes and sharp eyesight! If all youv'e flown is high wing trainer types, this one can get too far away and out of hand quickly!
The UMX P-51 isn't 'all that fast' even on (3S) power. (Maybe 55 mph)
She is however, very quick, highly maneuverable and small.
She is also very stable and very 'untwitchy' all thanks to AS3X.

It's all relative.
My (2S) powered UMX Mustang appears to fly very fast compared to the ole (1S) Mustang.
My (3S) Mustang makes flying her on (2S) batts, feel very slow.

There is no law out there that says I must fly my (3S) Mustang fast.
I still do.
I love the performance I get on (3S) power!
The power band is at half throttle and the servo speed is noticeably faster.

I wish I was younger but I'm not.
I'm in my 60's.
My reflexes are still pretty good.
My eyesight is good but I keep it perfect with prescription sunglasses when I fly.
I also keep my flying skills sharp by flying often. (20-50 flights a week)

These UMX planes get tiny in a flash.
Flying often has been the best way to get used to that.
Over the years, I've flown almost every size of RC plane on the market.
I think that flying (3S) UMX planes are the most difficult and I Love It!
Because they are so convenient to fly...I fly often.

Roger
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2019, 02:21 PM
I got into this game late..Im in my late 60's... I know I was getting pretty proficient when I got a lot of stick time. This year crappy weather has cut my time down a lot and it shows! You have to stay on top of it for sure!
Sep 22, 2019, 07:01 PM
LOL Most people on these threads are Oldy Moldy flyers ....Started myself at 62 ...now 69.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:48 PM
Dale...nice to know I'm in good company! Guess I'm the yutz of the bunch! Electronic thingamajigs just aren't my bag!
Sep 22, 2019, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Dale...nice to know I'm in good company! Guess I'm the yutz of the bunch! Electronic thingamajigs just aren't my bag!
I still use dx6i tx . When i got it i read the tx manual and practiced setting up planes by following the tx manual..Got a dx7 2d gen which had more stuff to program.So i just followed that tx manual and practiced setting up several planes until i understood what i was doing. Now it just takes about 5 min. to setup a new plane instead of 20 to 30 min.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
The UMX P-51 isn't 'all that fast' even on (3S) power. (Maybe 55 mph)
She is however, very quick, highly maneuverable and small.
She is also very stable and very 'untwitchy' all thanks to AS3X.

It's all relative.
My (2S) powered UMX Mustang appears to fly very fast compared to the ole (1S) Mustang.
My (3S) Mustang makes flying her on (2S) batts, feel very slow.

There is no law out there that says I must fly my (3S) Mustang fast.
I still do.
I love the performance I get on (3S) power!
The power band is at half throttle and the servo speed is noticeably faster.

I wish I was younger but I'm not.
I'm in my 60's.
My reflexes are still pretty good.
My eyesight is good but I keep it perfect with prescription sunglasses when I fly.
I also keep my flying skills sharp by flying often. (20-50 flights a week)

These UMX planes get tiny in a flash.
Flying often has been the best way to get used to that.
Over the years, I've flown almost every size of RC plane on the market.
I think that flying (3S) UMX planes are the most difficult and I Love It!
Because they are so convenient to fly...I fly often.

Roger
Ha! Right on, Roger. I have a blast with 3s sometimes but I still love my 1s'ers, like my Spitfire, T-28, Radian, Night Vapor... It's important to get them set-up to how you personally like to fly, CG, expo, battery size, motor, etc. I was disappointed in my 1s Spitfire until I got the right motor, lipo, CG, and expo. Now I love it! It's not an SR-71 but it looks very scale in flight to my eyes. Whatever makes you happy!
Sep 25, 2019, 10:23 AM
**I'm Battman**

" Whatever makes you happy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
Ha! Right on, Roger. I have a blast with 3s sometimes but I still love my 1s'ers, like my Spitfire, T-28, Radian, Night Vapor... It's important to get them set-up to how you personally like to fly, CG, expo, battery size, motor, etc. I was disappointed in my 1s Spitfire until I got the right motor, lipo, CG, and expo. Now I love it! It's not an SR-71 but it looks very scale in flight to my eyes. Whatever makes you happy!
DG,

Totally agree.

Weather has reversed for us in Southern Idaho.
Summer/Calm
Fall/Windy

Keep on flying!

Wind used to be the enemy.
Not anymore.
15-18 mph breeze.
No big deal with AS3X & 3S power.

Roger
Sep 25, 2019, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Yes me too I'm 68 and fly daily weather permitting thanks to UMX size and performance, permitting Me to fly right out front,to that tune it all started with the UMX micro Timber,then the Waco,the P-51 , the Aerocommander and the P-47 I love love them all but speaking P,-51 .. I love it it ,Gosh!! It performs! The flight envelope is Fab and did I say I LOVE EM ALL.
Sep 30, 2019, 04:42 PM
I noticed today that my UMX P-51 Mustang glides to a landing the same as many bluebirds that are flying around lately. The Mustang and a bluebirds are powerful to fly fast and my Mustang glides well because I have it with permanent flaps down but it can still fly fairly fast.
Sep 30, 2019, 05:01 PM
Again Another Fake post............HA..........
Oct 01, 2019, 07:31 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Wind used to be the enemy.
Not anymore.
15-18 mph breeze.
No big deal with AS3X & 3S power.

Roger
FWIW: Not that much of a problem with AS3X & 2S power! Love this plane in the wind. Thanks again for the heads-up on the model being discontinued, and for the link to a possible supplier. Managed to get one of the last ones from this source. Nice to have a spare on the shelf, for one of my favorite UMX micros. Yes, I am getting the itch to try a 3S, so any recommendation as to which Lipo pack to use would be appreciated. I have to assume one would be wise to keep the throttle at less than 100% most of the time when running on 3S power.

RD
Oct 01, 2019, 07:55 PM
Check the man's blog, you replied to. Roger, makes some nice ready to roll 3s packs.
Oct 01, 2019, 08:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
FWIW: Not that much of a problem with AS3X & 2S power! Love this plane in the wind. Thanks again for the heads-up on the model being discontinued, and for the link to a possible supplier. Managed to get one of the last ones from this source. Nice to have a spare on the shelf, for one of my favorite UMX micros. Yes, I am getting the itch to try a 3S, so any recommendation as to which Lipo pack to use would be appreciated. I have to assume one would be wise to keep the throttle at less than 100% most of the time when running on 3S power.

RD
Thanks Jasen!

-----

RD,

UMX 3S flying info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=278

If you go with the BB Hyp (3S) 180, no mods needed to the battery cavity area.
She flies light & powerful.
The stock prop works very well with 3S power.
After about 100 3S flights on the stock prop, I switched to a GWS 5043.
Her vertical is amazing!

Roger

More info in the pic gallery:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...=threadgallery
Oct 01, 2019, 08:16 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:

RD,

UMX 3S flying info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=278

If you go with the BB Hyp (3S) 180, no mods needed to the battery cavity area.
She flies light & powerful.
The stock prop works very well with 3S power.
After about 100 3S flights on the stock prop, I switched to a GWS 5043.
Her vertical is amazing!

Roger

More info in the pic gallery:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...=threadgallery
Roger: Many thanks. Just sent you a email, free free to ignore it. Will this same BB Hyp (3S) work will on a UMX Habu?

RD
Oct 01, 2019, 08:16 PM
**I'm Battman**
RD,

Most current batt info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...31-BabbelBatts

Roger

Quick Reply