Sep 15, 2019, 08:03 PM
Finally maidened mine today. NOT GOOD!!! 4 flights ...3 Crashes. Flew fine but I can't keep up with it,and it didn't like to fly slow. Orientation is a problem too with my old eyes! Reflexes aren't what they were either! I hadn't crashed ANYTHING in over two years. So much for getting bored with Cub types!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee View Post
Finally maidened mine today. NOT GOOD!!! 4 flights ...3 Crashes. Flew fine but I can't keep up with it,and it didn't like to fly slow. Orientation is a problem too with my old eyes! Reflexes aren't what they were either! I hadn't crashed ANYTHING in over two years. So much for getting bored with Cub types!
This is my fear and the reason I love my little Cub and my Timber even more!!! However my UMX P51 has yet to ship from my EBay seller a week later I went ahead and ordered the 800mm Big Beautiful Doll last night with the thinking these will be a bit easier to see and with safe added be just as easy if not easier to fly. I've wanted the 800mm version for a while and they vanished but suddenly a few have reappeared.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:50 PM
My UMX P-51 Mustang also did not like to fly slow because it always flew too fast. So I scored then glued the flaps down and now it flies better.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:03 PM
It was tricky ,but I DID master my small "Meg" Umx P-51.....never did master the landings though! This thing is a whole different animal! I think bigger would be better, I have issues with orientation with these small silver birds! I have a 34" as yet unflown Harbor Freight Mustang...but it has the problem of not ENOUGH power they tell me. So without a prop or motor swap..,. or both , it hasn't been in the air yet!
Sep 15, 2019, 09:05 PM
auge dogy's posts are pure BS .I do not believe anything she says period.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:23 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver View Post
This is my fear and the reason I love my little Cub and my Timber even more!!! However my UMX P51 has yet to ship from my EBay seller a week later I went ahead and ordered the 800mm Big Beautiful Doll last night with the thinking these will be a bit easier to see and with safe added be just as easy if not easier to fly. I've wanted the 800mm version for a while and they vanished but suddenly a few have reappeared.
The 800mm Mustang will be harder to fly than a UMX version.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:51 PM
youtube.com/ShadowVFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver View Post
My experience tells me that the 800 mm planes are the worst of Both Worlds. The UMX planes are light and when they crash don't take too much damage. And 1100 millimeter plane flies a lot better, but can also slow down for a nice landing. Those 800 mm warbirds I've flown all need to be flown almost as fast as their 1100 mm brothers and it lands just about the same speed.

For me I've kept clear of the 800 mm line after I found that the 1100 mm planes seem to handle and fly far better and usually only cost $20 or $30 more.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
My experience tells me that the 800 mm planes are the worst of Both Worlds. The UMX planes are light and when they crash don't take too much damage. And 1100 millimeter plane flies a lot better, but can also slow down for a nice landing. Those 800 mm warbirds I've flown all need to be flown almost as fast as their 1100 mm brothers and it lands just about the same speed.

For me I've kept clear of the 800 mm line after I found that the 1100 mm planes seem to handle and fly far better and usually only cost $20 or $30 more.
Oh don't tell me that!!! Now i'll need to order a couple more as backups lol. The USPS and UPS are going to be busy enough at my house this week as is
I don't plan on flying any of my 800mm planes for a while as I really need to increase my skills. Fixed wing is really new to me but I am getting the hang of if quickly. My biggest issue at the moment is I am on a nerve pain med that messes with my concentration but flying takes so much concentration it helps me forget my pain for a few moments. Same with riding my motorcycle, you just blank it out for a while. Both great therapy and any relief is much welcomed!!!
I do have plans on adding flaps to the Mustang since it will be getting a 6 channel receiver. The Corsairs I haven't decided on yet but prop breakage (and they aren't cheap) seems the biggest issue on both unless you switch to the 2 blade.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:00 AM
B. Redeker - Portfolio Manager
Surprised to hear some of the flight issues. I find my UMX P-51D BL to be very easy to fly, very stable, and easy to land. Orientation can be an issue on cloudy days, but I find my UMX P-47 to be harder to orientate on cloudy days.

I also find the Mustang to be just find at slower speeds, but it is a warbird after all and not designed to fly like a Cub. It cruises around the sky at 50-60% throttle without any issue. My UMX Timber and J3 cruise closer to 30-40% throttle. My UMX planes have the most flights on them compared to my 1100mm and larger planes. I can walk out of the house, toss a UMX plane in the air, and fly around the back yard until it is too dark to see them. They are just brilliant! Anything bigger than my UMX planes requires a trip to the club field or some other large area.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:31 AM
I think I've been stiffed by my EBay seller. No shipping or tracking of the UMX P51 after more than a week and not replying to my messages. I've had good luck on EBay for years but I think this one is not going to go as hoped. Also just received a spare XK 600 from Amazon badly broken in a crushed box. GRRRRRRR It's fixable and will probably test fly this afternoon to confirm but not happy today. Not worth the trouble of trying to return it. I do at least have a UMX Wildcat on the way so maybe I won't miss out completely on these warbirds.
Last edited by tnriverluver; Sep 17, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:12 PM
That sucks about your eBay purchases I haven't bought a plane off of eBay as once the shipping was added in, the price was basically the same as a new one. I have had outstanding luck on RC Groups with sellers.

I haven't seen a UMX TBM Avenger or really any other remote control Avengers.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350 View Post
That sucks about your eBay purchases I haven't bought a plane off of eBay as once the shipping was added in, the price was basically the same as a new one. I have had outstanding luck on RC Groups with sellers.

I haven't seen a UMX TBM Avenger or really any other remote control Avengers.
EBay has always been my cheapest option since I almost never pay shipping and up until just recently have avoided Tn's 10% sales tax, That part is changing lately though depending who and where you buy from. I will normally only use sellers with free shipping.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:46 PM
I haven't found many with free shipping, unless the seller is Horizon or another hobby shop.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:15 PM
YAY Ebay seller messaged me back and the bird has now shipped!!!
Sep 17, 2019, 07:52 PM
Fantastic news!

Quick Reply