This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 15, 2016, 05:32 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

Feeling a bit nostalgic...a 90's vintage ASP 46A

Completely uncharacteristic of me, I bought another 'Made in China' engine. I was perusing eBay last week and found a cache of 90's vintage, new old stock ASP engines from a fellow in Portugal. These are the European marketed versions.

As for the nostalgia, the ASP 46 two stroke engine was about the 3rd or 4th engine I ever purchased. I bought my first in 1989 and installed it in my first Great Planes Super Decathlon 40. It was a nice combination and powered that airplane quite well. When I crashed that airplane I built another and powered this one with my first 4 stroke engine, an Enya 80-4C.

So I placed a bid at the lowest price figuring if someone wanted it more than me they could have it. Someone did and I did not bid again. The next day I received an email from eBay stating I had a second chance at this engine for the same amount. I am unsure if the original deal went south or this fellow just has a good supply of these engines. Either way I ordered it this time.

Well the engine arrived today and here are some initial pictures of the engine. It was a bit stiff and once again I question the quality of the oil the early Chinese engines were shipped with. Clearly the engine was NIB and unrun but it was stiff. I added some oil and a bit of heat and it freed up. I'll be putting it on the test stand this weekend.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply