Affinity RG65 by HyroPro (HobbyKing) - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jul 03, 2016, 06:09 PM
Boomer1
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm more of a plastic fabricator than wood. I may use a piece of construction balsawood sheet to make a pattern. It's easy to cut with a hobby knife.

I am planning on using clear acrylic for the hatch.
Boomer
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2016, 05:56 AM

Affinity/DF65 sails

A very interesting discussion on this subject going on at www.shipshaperc.com
Jul 05, 2016, 10:41 AM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsail
A very interesting discussion on this subject going on at www.shipshaperc.com
Took a look at the "shipshaper" discussion found only a few posts. Nothing earth shaking to bring back. Maybe I was looking at another discussion?
"Shipshaper" likes folks to buy one or more of their products to you to get full access to their forum. As most of you guys know this site's focus is primarily on the HK's Monsoon, Phantom, Legend, Ocean Racer / Sailor and Surmount That's cool but just not my "cup of tea."
I have yet to find a forum that comes close to the quality of rcgroups.
Regardless, thanks for the suggestion.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 05, 2016 at 02:43 PM.
Jul 19, 2016, 12:36 PM
Boomer1
Working on my "water tight" hatch project - picked up several different materials to experiment with. I am looking for a small band saw to purchase. Over the years I've used Dremel to make small plastic parts for my models but have come to the conclusion a small band saw would save me time.
Cutting shapes with my standard Dremel is pretty easy always a challenge to cut straight lines.

The Dremel Moto-Saw (which is really a "Schroll" saw is priced attractively at about $70-$80 but reviews are mixed - I prefer a band saw over a scroll type. The band saw cuts are smoother than a scroll style which is to me a "jig saw

I am open to suggestions for a decent small table sized band/scroll saw.

I am reading about these band saws hoping to find one that meets the need!
Craftsman BAS230 9", Grizzly G55LX, Rikon 10-305, Powertec BS900 " There's more reseach to be done!

Boomer
Jul 19, 2016, 01:18 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Working on my "water tight" hatch project - picked up several different materials to experiment with. I am looking for a small band saw to purchase. Over the years I've used Dremel to make small plastic parts for my models but have come to the conclusion a small band saw would save me time.
Cutting shapes with my standard Dremel is pretty easy always a challenge to cut straight lines.

The Dremel Moto-Saw (which is really a "Schroll" saw is priced attractively at about $70-$80 but reviews are mixed - I prefer a band saw over a scroll type. The band saw cuts are smoother than a scroll style which is to me a "jig saw

I am open to suggestions for a decent small table sized band/scroll saw.

I am reading about these band saws hoping to find one that meets the need!
Craftsman BAS230 9", Grizzly G55LX, Rikon 10-305, Powertec BS900 " There's more reseach to be done!

Boomer
Search Craigslist - I found my l well used 14" Delta their for $125. New tires & blade were needed.
Jul 19, 2016, 01:20 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-9...saw-60500.html

20% off coupons available in the paper every week
Jul 19, 2016, 04:21 PM
I've got a 26 yr old Craftsman 12 inch tabletop that cuts anything I want. It has a big enough throat to handle any extruded foam if I want to use It for hull plugs.
Jul 19, 2016, 05:50 PM
Boomer1
Dick
12" would be great but don't have much room - 9" is about the right size. But after reading most of the reviews on the more popular brands I'm discouraged.
Powertec, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Craftsmen, Rockwell, Skil etc. all are not rated very well. All these sell for about $149.00 Won't be cutting anything heavy so it doesn't have to be pro level.
May try a scroll saw?
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 19, 2016 at 06:00 PM.
Jul 20, 2016, 10:04 AM
Boomer, mine is the older style of saw using 3 wheels instead of two. Provides a bit larger table, but doesn't require the height of a 2 wheeler. There are times when I wished for a smaller blade than the 1/8 inch size, so I do have a scroll saw too. For really big stuff, my son has a 16 inch bandsaw I can use - but seldom need it for our little boats. None of these are viable for resawing or trying to cut thinner boards as they lack the power to drive a rip blade through anything over maybe 2 inches tall.

Dick
Jul 20, 2016, 01:10 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Poor mans scroll saw (danger Will Robinson - unshielded/exposed blade can hurt you):

1) Drill 4 holes in the base of your Jig-saw - one in each corner.
2) Cut a piece of 3/4" MDF or similar material to a size about 1" larger than the base of your Jig-saw
3) Cut a slot in the center at one end of the MDF. Slot must be long enough to reach the position of the blade (for the Jig-saw blade to stick through).
4) With blade attached, screw the Jig-saw base to the MDF with the blade sticking through the bottom.
5) Flip it upside down and clamp the MDF in a vice with blade sticking up
6) Engage power, but watch your fingers!

Here are some Youtube videos of similar mods:

Table Mounting a Jigsaw (4 min 22 sec)

Jigsaw table circle cutting jig (7 min 55 sec)
Last edited by Scratchy101; Jul 20, 2016 at 02:32 PM.
Jul 20, 2016, 02:47 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Others on You Tube have crafted home made band saws
this one is drill powered.
Homemade Bandsaw - Drill Powered! (4 min 53 sec)

This kid made an entire shop of tools - pretty ingenious.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel

Others on YT have used recycled tread mill motors for powerful and variable speed drive motors on their projects.

BP
Jul 28, 2016, 03:44 AM

HydroPro Affinity now available in all HobbyKing Warehouses

The HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing yacht is now available in all warehouses supported by a full range of spare parts and RG65 Class sail bag.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...earch=Affinity
Aug 03, 2016, 02:22 PM
Just here for the pie.

Must-Have spare parts

Hi folks.

What are the must-have spare parts/extras for this boat?

For my Monsoon, all I've needed so far are tape (to seal the hatch), winch line (to replace frays) and extra batteries (because 3 hours sailing is not enough).

I'm looking at the Affinity because it'll be easier to fit in the car with the rest of the camping gear. I'd like to place an order for everything I'm likely to need from the offset.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
Randall
Aug 03, 2016, 03:34 PM
Boomer1
Randall
These boats have the same parts as the DF65. Both are made by Joysway. You may wish to consider one of those instead.
FYI - The DF 65 is about the most popular RC sailboat on the market right now.

I have a DF 95 and deal with Chuck at https://radiosailing.net
He can help you out on anything you might need.

I got the Affinity for my wife to sail. She liked the boats appearance
As I said they are for all intense and purposes, the same boats with a slightly different deck treatment.

Your call, but dealing with Chuck is much better way to go than Hobby King.

Boomer

M-F 8:00am - 5pm Central Time North America: 214-284-7164 Email them at: info@radiosailing.net

Check out the discussion at this link https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1838428
Aug 03, 2016, 05:18 PM
Just here for the pie.
I appreciate your advice Boomer, thank you. The DragonForce65 has the same colours (black/red/white) as the HK Monsoon, so I'd prefer white/blue over that.

Over the past 6 years, I've placed 68 orders with HK and have had no major issues so far with products or service. Maybe I'm just running on luck that's about to run out, but the relationship has worked well so far.

Back to my original question, are there spare parts or extra things/gear/gizmos/whatever that make ownership (of any of the compatible models) less troublesome when things inevitably happen in the field?

Thanks.

Cheers!
Randall