Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 29, 2016, 10:44 PM
To me, this appears to be Joysway's attempt to clean out inventory of a boat that couldn't sell. To scrap its original rigs and replace with DF65 rigs and market as a RG65 is clever but could this infringe on DF65 patents? Doesn't Joysway produce the DF65 as well? I am not a lawyer but I would be taking this boat to a lawyer if I was involved in selling DF65's. Only winner appears to be Joysway here. Interesting to see how this plays out. This would be like the best IOM designer (in my opinion) putting new IOM rigs on a SC4 and selling it as an Austpop to get rid of unsold hulls. I am sure HK has done there research but even the big boys can be taken to the cleaners in business. Mind you the price is right but it will be hard to compete against the current crop of RG designs. No way the boat can sail in DF65 regattas.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2016, 11:31 PM
Boomer1
Ops
Jun 29, 2016, 11:32 PM
Boomer1
Joysway makes them both. The Explorer had decent sales globally. The upgraded version now under the Affinity badge should bring in additional revenues by reaching a slightly different audience.

This has been well discussed in the forums . There's 3 different discussions going on this boat. Why ? Not sure
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 30, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
Jun 30, 2016, 02:52 AM
The original Explorer V1 was a FG yacht with DF65 rig. According to HKJohn the Affinity is based on the Explorer V1 but is ABS with some mods. Joysway are now selling the Explorer V2. Not sure of all the differences but external control of switch and different hatch are some.

As far as I am aware RG65 is a set of standards that define the yacht and any yacht that complies can use the logo. HK already sell the Poseidon that has the logo on it. The Explorer1 is also compliant if you install a rubber bow bumper. But as has been said there is a vast difference between all the yachts that carry the logo and also a vast difference in cost.

As for parts now HK sell the Affinity and stock all the parts they effectively can also supply most parts for the DF65, Explorer V2, Pirate, Force 2 and maybe the Binary (not sure on that one). As the AU supplier sells all those yachts they would be the most effected.

The Affinity can not race in the DF65 class as such but in a RG65 race and their are multiple open, DF, Affinities , Poseidons and any other ones the end result sheet will show first open class, first DF etc so they can all be in the same race and have their own class results.

Don't expect a Affinity to be at the front of the field.
Jul 01, 2016, 07:39 PM
Boomer1
Took a couple of pictures of my newly acquired Affinity's packaging. It arrived double boxed with a well made retail box. They packed everything in a styrofoam block with cut outs for all the components and hull.
Everything arrived without damage. All my first impressions are all positive.
Got the Explorer hatch in today's mail. I can report the hatch opening on the Affinity is slightly different than the Explorer. The cover fits well enough at the bottom on the sides about half way, then the Affinity opening tappers enough to restrict the cover from fitting in the opening and the from of the cover will have to be shaped to fit the small arch in the Affinity opening. All doable - I will make a template to use to help me trim the hatch cover properly. Not sure what the cover is made out of. It feels like a very firm foam on the underside but hard surface like ABS on the outside - has been painted and clear coated - it will be interesting to see how it handles a little grinding/shaping and sanding.
Will know soon enough. Worst case I'll have to make an acrylic cover for it.

I took a quick measurement of the hull's thickness around the hatch opening and it is barely 2mm which is pretty thin - knowing this dimension it is interesting just how study the hull feels. The finish on the boat is really nice. No complaints there at all.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 19, 2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: replaced images
Jul 02, 2016, 01:01 AM
I think you will find that the V1 hatch weighs 34gm and the supplied one with tape would not top 10gm. The patch hatches are cheap, save weight in them selves and don't add weight having to reinforce the hatch hull frame.
Jul 02, 2016, 11:10 AM
Boomer1
My interest is in coming up with a hatch that seals without tape. I am not overly concerned with the weight of my new hatch.
Once I've come up with the design, I'll make the new hatch as light as possible. Living in beautiful Temecula has many benefits, but sadly we don't have many radio sailors. So class racing requires long road trips. I have enjoyed racing over the years, but since it is not practical right now,
I have fun sailing with whatever boats shows up.
Been trying to get some of the locals to buy DF65s so we can organize some decent class racing.
Time will tell.
Boomer
Jul 02, 2016, 11:20 AM
Boomer - Atomik has a special running now for the DF65 at a cost of $148.75 after discounts.
Jul 02, 2016, 11:57 AM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Boomer - Atomik has a special running now for the DF65 at a cost of $148.75 after discounts.
Saw the promotion for the holiday weekend. I've tried to get the "old boys" around here to spring for a few bucks to get some DF 65's, but with no success. They are all into their Soling 50 "tugboats" These guys are all about my age but "old" if you get my drift.

You'd think I was asking them to give up their social security.

Amazing how some folks get stuck in their ways. I suppose I should be grateful there are some guys to sail with at all.

At $175 the DF65 is a deal - now at at $148 it's even more so! I am pretty loyal to Chuck and would image if I can get these old birds to spring with some cash he might be willing to work with us to get a club going. I'm afraid I'll need to do some electric shock treatments to get this to happen.

Boomer
Jul 02, 2016, 12:20 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Saw the promotion for the holiday weekend. I've tried to get the "old boys" around here to spring for a few bucks to get some DF 65's, but with no success. They are all into their Soling 50 "tugboats" These guys are all about my age but "old" if you get my drift.
You'd think I was asking them to give up their social security.
Amazing how some folks get stuck in their ways. I suppose I should be grateful there are some guys to sail with at all.
At $175 the DF65 is a deal - now at at $148 it's even more so! I am pretty loyal to Chuck and would image if I can get these old birds to spring with some cash he might be willing to work with us to get a club going. I'm afraid I'll need to do some electric shock treatments to get this to happen.
Boomer
Not unique to your area. Local club to me race Sloling 50, Fairwimd, Victoria, and pool Shark Footys.
And of course I come from a club that doesn't race any of those.
Jul 03, 2016, 03:19 AM
Will be interested to see what you come with Boomer. I have tried a few but 100% not obtained yet. There are plenty of ideas others have posted that claim to be 100%. Have not had time to try any yet.

Waterproof and easy to install and remove is the hardest bit.

Weight is important on these small yachts, not so much the bigger the hull.
Jul 03, 2016, 12:13 PM
Boomer1
Tugboat,
May I call you "Tug"? Tugboat seems so formal. I think someone mentioned their factory cover had some adhesive stripes on their cover. The one that came with my Affinity has none. Looking at it and handling it I find it hard to image it is even water resistant? Feels like shinny construction paper Certainly light enough - it only measures 0.18 mm thick.

For me it's not in keeping with this nice looking boat. It's kinda like wearing a "clip on tie" to your wedding
Don't want to be a "whiner" about this so I'll just say this is a "classy" little boat and it should have an appropriately nice hatch cover

Have to get over to my LHS to get some acrylic for the new hatch project.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 03, 2016 at 12:27 PM.
Jul 03, 2016, 02:31 PM
What I did with my DF65 was to make a clear cover from a thick piece of a sheet protector and then sealed it with electrical tape. I don't take it off between sailings but I can see if there is water in the boat because it is clear. I use electrical tape to cover the battery hatch and remove it after each sailing day . I do sometimes get some condensation on the clear hatch cover but not enough to worry about. Only take the hatch cover off if the boat gets a lot of water in it.

Forgot to add, I use a wide piece of electrical tape on the battery hatch not a couple of pieces of the 3/4" wide stuff. You kind of have to hunt for the GOOD wider stuff though. Would post pics but am in FL for the next 3 weeks and don't have boat with me.
Last edited by 11290; Jul 03, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
Jul 03, 2016, 03:24 PM
Boomer1
My objective is to come up with a hatch that provides easy access and seals without using any tape. I get it, using tape is not a crime and it works, it's just not for me.

A lot of my boats came with hatch designs that leaked. None of them leak any more and I didn't use any tape to fix them

If I can't figure it out I I'll use some freakin tape.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 03, 2016 at 04:41 PM.
Jul 03, 2016, 04:22 PM
Boomer,

Can you take a piece of 3/4 pine and replicate the shape of the opening. Sand and round over edges and drill some diagonal holes from the side on the curved corners down and through the bottom of the wood block. Place a piece of styrene over top of wood block. Apply heat from a good quality heat gun. As styrene melts and droops hold shop vac nozzle to the small drilled holes to draw the corners of styrene close to the wood block to smooth out. If you happen to great a pin hole from drill hole a little resin or filler can be applied with finger tip to fill. I would start with at least 1/8 undersize to allow for springback.

Just the very basic form of a vaccuum press..