Jun 16, 2016, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy
Ok , I know I'm new on the scene here but after my club mate went to the Nationals in Richmond Va. recently I thought as he did the "RG65" class was the same as the DF RG65 just abbreviated.! Long story short, Whats the Diff?? are they NOT Dragon Force RG65 Boats or What??? I know they are not the NEW class pending of DF 95's so can some one help explain in short layman rookie terms what I'm not getting here?? If the boats are not Dragon's 65s what are they?? Thx in advance! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
The DF65 is a manufactured boat that fits in the RG65 ruleset. Check my sticky thread (What boat should I get) about rulesets vs manufacturers one-design. It's all explained there.

Sounds like this Affinity will be another manufactured boat that may fit into the RG65 ruleset. Although it looks suspiciously like the Joysway Explorer 65, another boat that could be made to fit the RG65 ruleset.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2016, 05:10 PM
Boomer1
I 'm wondering what their strategy is? Are DF65 sales are falling off and they think bringing out another choice will stimulate revenues.?

They discontinued the Explorer not too long after it was released. Wonder if they are thinking a new name, a new look and better sails might have better results? Can't help but wonder if this will affect DF65 sales?

We know they are bringing out a white DF 65 which will look similar to this "so called" new boat, wonder what prompted that? Just curious........................... I like the white ones, so it's all good for me.

Boomer
Jun 16, 2016, 05:27 PM
Boomer1
OK, it looks like the guys "down under" have a few more choices than we do here in the U.S.
I was looking for pictures of the white DF 65 and found another RG65 type boat. Take a look at the pictures.

Volantex Compass
Features:
blow-molded ABS hull
650mm class designed for RG65 competition.
Perfect size for transportation and fun.
Waterproof design for electric equipment.
RTR ready to race.
ABS moulding which is durable and smooth.
Specifications:
Overall Length: 650mm.
Hull Width: 135mm.
Weight: 1300g.
Servo: 17-gram Servo, 3kg winch servo.
Battery: 4pcs AA Battery for boat and 4pcs AA for Transmitter (not included).

Volantexrc 791-1 Compass Sailboat (1 min 6 sec)
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2016 at 05:35 PM.
Jun 16, 2016, 08:53 PM
Boomer1. My understanding is the AU distributer (HWH) had sufficient enquiries re a white RTR DF kit that he placed a special order with Joysway to meet the demand. They are selling well from what I have read. Some are venturing out of AU.

The Affinity is a a Explorer V2 changed to suit HK. My take on it would be that to Joysway it is a bulk sale to HK, so money in there pocket without having to change much. As has been said can only compete in RG65 open class. But if it interests someone into the hobby it is a good thing. For the price in AU and you sort some advice you would spend the money on a DF65 in my opinion. Joysway did a similar rebadge a few years ago producing the Turnigy 610 for HK from their Discovery. The Explorer has been on sale for some time in AU and has only recently been upgraded to the V2 which is now on sale.

The Compass has been available worldwide and was stocked in AU as a cheaper alternate for the social sailor (or the mad modder). It is like your statements on the Monsoon, basics are there but lots of thing you can do to it but it probably wont be as good as what you could have spent the money on. Again only for RG65 open class.

Similar to the HK Poseidon.
Last edited by tugboat2011; Jun 16, 2016 at 08:58 PM.
Jun 17, 2016, 03:35 AM
I have had a Compass for a couple on months now and everything Tug says is right on the money.
I got it for a modding project and after sorting out a few irregularities it is a nice boat to sail, but as a competition boat, nope. It certainly has taken a lot from the DF65 but done it on the cheap.

Get a DF65 White Edition before they all go. I have.
Jun 17, 2016, 02:21 PM
Boomer1
Thanks Mates for the information. I was not interested in one of those for me, just interested to learn about it.
I am up for a white DF 65. Think they look better in white than the original versions.
It is always interesting to learn about new things. According to what we have discovered the Affinity is really not new, just had a 'face lift" of sorts. I think it looks much better than the original version, cleaner and accents the lines of the boat.
Thanks again.
Boomer
Jun 17, 2016, 03:53 PM
It also to me seems to suggest an "arf" rg65 subclass where all of these similar Chinese boats could race together along with the df65. Even suggests the possibility of taking the df65 core components--fin, ballast, rig, rudder servos etc. and allow owners to design their own hulls around them...
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:59 PM.
Jun 18, 2016, 05:41 PM
Boomer1
It's my understanding all/most of the DF65 parts were interchangeable with the Explorer. This would suggest they'd be interchangeable with the Affinity as well.
Be interesting to see the quality of the sails on the Affinity.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 18, 2016 at 09:50 PM.
Jun 20, 2016, 04:37 PM
Boomer

The Ver 1 Explorer only difference was the hull dimensions (wider beam) and colour scheme. Everything else was identical with the early Df65. They may have altered a few minor things, perhaps that terrible vang screw but I suspect not. so I expect the V2 will be either the same as the 65 V4 or hopefully, V5 re rigging ,servos trays etc.
going by their own promo photos this seems likely to be a 65 Ver.5 configuration except for the beam and coloration.
http://www.joysway-hobby.com/product/item/pid/113.html

I still have a V1 Explorer(the basis for the Affinity) and although modded a bit it sails up there with the 65's, occasionally getting on the podium. But it has never proven to be a popular boat, maybe because of the sail decoration, but those with one around here treat them with affection.

Interestingly the "Pirate" falls in between the V4 65 and the latest V2 Explorer, and sails very much the same in competition down here. Tt just looks, well..

Both the Explorer and the Pirate seem to be Joysway's idea of doing their own version of the DF65. This shouldn't happen in respect to the DF95.

You are spot on re the appearance of the White edition DF65.
Jun 20, 2016, 06:57 PM
And EXACTLY why we want the RG65 to remain as an open and DEVELOPMENT CLASS. Lots of class opportunities for any boat meeting the minimum specs.
Jun 22, 2016, 12:12 PM
Boomer1
FYI
Hobby King has posted the Affinity on it's web site. Listed for $128.00 plug and play. If you wait for a few minutes they offer you it for $119.00 . (Typical special pop up deal to get you to bite.)

With shipping from Hong Kong $39.17 +$199.00 the total = $158.77 That is a decent price considering it comes with A and B Mylar sails. No radio of course, but not many of us would us the OEM radio anyway.

The thing is, if you are wanting to race in the DF 65 class this boat is not currently going to be accepted. Time will tell how it will do in the RG65 Class.

Decent boat for the price. To me the DF 65 offers some benefits especially for those wanting to race in the official DF 65 races. and now with the availability of the "White" DF 65's which adds value . (I like the white hulls on the DF 95 and DF65)

Interesting marketing approach from Joysway.

Boomer

HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht - HobbyKing Product Video (2 min 16 sec)
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 22, 2016 at 12:54 PM.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:41 PM
How can you not love this boat at this price? Better stock sails than the Dragon Force and two rigs? And just like the RG65 class welcomed the DF, given how many similar parts the DF and the Affinity share, I would hope the DF fleets welcome Affinity sailors to race with them.

And it gets better, since all of the parts for the DF65 fit the Affinity, you can buy a white replacement Dragon Force hull for $45 and have two boats, two rigs and upgraded sails for under $200 US! Amazing!
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Jun 22, 2016 at 04:12 PM.
Jun 22, 2016, 03:42 PM
Boomer1
HK's web site posted mote pictures for us. Take a look to see any upgrades or differences between the DF65 and the Affinity.
Wonder how this hatch cover seals?
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 22, 2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add comments
Jun 22, 2016, 04:05 PM
Boomer. That hatch cover, unlike the Explorer Ver. 1, is similar to the DF65's sticky oversized cover. But the stickiness will soon go dry. Best you make a close fitting hatch plate that fits level with the deck and tape the seams to prevent water ingress. This is what we do for the Df65 as well.
Joysway are now "throwing in" a roll of the waterproof tape that first showed up with the 95. Unlike other tapes such as electrical or duct this tape uses a waterproof gum which, with care ,can be reused a couple of times. The only offset is it easily picks dust or grime on the edge of the roll and it shows. Otherwise 1" electrical tape (choice of colors!) serves as well.
It seems to me that the bow profile is quite different than the Explorer Ver 1. all for the better, perhaps.

What's needed now is some actually sailing reports.
Jun 22, 2016, 06:42 PM

RE HydroPro Affinity

Hi guys, love the chatter above, great to see so much interest in the Affinity.

Re some of your questions above and over on the new thread

1. Affinity is based on the original explorer hull but with several modifications to make it RG65 legal and to allow people to get a P&P solution on the water for a minimum of fuss and at the correct price point with items such as two rigs and mylar sails that will allow them to get into local RG65 club racing fairly well straight away. This type of product will enhance the sport of RC Yacht Racing in the same way as the Soling One Meter did in the 1990's

2. The Affinity is a more "all round" weatherly hull and behaves better than the DF65 in moderate to heavy crosswind and downwind conditions and can hold it's own against a DF65 in all but the lightest of upwind conditions. I base the above statement on the fact that I have sailed, raced and designed RC racing yachts for over twenty years and I had this boat tested against stock and modified DF65's.

As you all can appreciate a boat is only as good as the skipper, I seem to remember one B.Gibson winning an IOM Championships with nothing more than a modified Robbe Windstar which was ancient technology at the time a true testament to his skills, so comparing boats can be quite an academic exercise at best.

3. The boat will be fully supported by spares inventory (great news for DF65 skippers as well regarding replacement booms, masts and sails etc..)

4. There is scope for growth potential regarding a high aspect ratio rigs for those skippers that would like to upgrade to top rig in the future

I've started a new product thread via the following link so if you all want to jump in there and keep it going then that would be great.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2687712