Affinity RG65 by HyroPro (HobbyKing) - Page 16 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 08, 2017, 01:24 PM
Boomer1
Sweetieinsf
It appears you have adopted my approach to radio sailing. At this point of my life, I am in this great past time to have fun, to enjoy the beautiful lakes we get to sail on, enjoy the fellowship of my fellow sailors and as mentioned I enjoy a nip or two of "Captain Morgan's and Ginger" to keep the bite of the sea at bay!
Racing has been great fun and helped me sharpen my skills to be sure. But sailing with my mates on a beautiful day is clearly a far better way to spend one's time than any day I spent at work!
I shall achieve the high water mark of my life in October, 73 which seems very difficult to process at times. I am blessed with health, good looks (matter of opinion to be sure) a very sharp wit, and according to my wife I am still very over married! So at your young age you have caught on very quickly! It will serve you well!
Do try my beverage of choice on your next outing. All that I've introduced it to have made it a regular staple in their sailing kit! Enjoy mates. It is all good!
Boomer
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2017, 02:08 PM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneer
I find it good to remove the hatch after every sailing session, and leave it open, so it airs out all humidity. Otherwise, things get corroded pretty quickly from trapped in water.
Yes i agree up to a point, if no water gets in then taking the drain plug out is all you need
The switch has been waterproofed with corrosion x, the rx (flysky 3 channel) works well even after being submerged ( happened to my fishing boat that got sideswiped by an ft009, the hull was holed and full of water, esc, rx, servo and lipo survived, guess it was due to being plain water, quick dry and no problems)

Been like that for about 6 months and it still works
Aug 08, 2017, 08:32 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Sweetieinsf
It appears you have adopted my approach to radio sailing. At this point of my life, I am in this great past time to have fun, to enjoy the beautiful lakes we get to sail on, enjoy the fellowship of my fellow sailors and as mentioned I enjoy a nip or two of "Captain Morgan's and Ginger" to keep the bite of the sea at bay!
Racing has been great fun and helped me sharpen my skills to be sure. But sailing with my mates on a beautiful day is clearly a far better way to spend one's time than any day I spent at work!
I shall achieve the high water mark of my life in October, 73 which seems very difficult to process at times. I am blessed with health, good looks (matter of opinion to be sure) a very sharp wit, and according to my wife I am still very over married! So at your young age you have caught on very quickly! It will serve you well!
Do try my beverage of choice on your next outing. All that I've introduced it to have made it a regular staple in their sailing kit! Enjoy mates. It is all good!
Boomer
Thanks Boomer! I'm off to buy a bottle of Captain Morgan's! ARRRggghh Matey!! Funny story: I once went to a costume party dressed as a pirate - a very flamboyant pirate. Everyone kept calling me Captain Morgan and I kept telling them "No, it's Admiral Sweetie!" Having never seen or heard of Captain Morgan I had unknowingly dressed as a dead ringer!
Aug 09, 2017, 03:03 AM
Kimo
Boomer , you and I must be twins.. I will also be 73 in Oct. and we are headed to Los Cabos the end of Oct to celebrate making it this far. let me be the first to wish you a very early happy day.
Aug 09, 2017, 12:21 PM
Boomer1
Back at you amigo! Not October yet so I'll enjoy my current water level.
Boomer
Aug 20, 2017, 07:49 AM
My Affinity with a set of A sails from Catsails in the UK
Softer and lighter than the mylar ones that come with the kit
Sep 05, 2017, 11:41 PM
Oh boy a big box from HobbyKing has arrived, what on earth could be in it?! Yep! An Affinity! And a FLOPPY sail bag. Thats annoying, but I am sure can be fixed.

Anyways had some questions on my question thread about availability. Proof that they are avalible here in the States.

Good timing too, I will need a b-rig, or maybe like an "I" -rig for the winds coming up here....
Sep 06, 2017, 04:22 AM
Still says out of stock worldwide
That and the recent price reduction of the sail bags and other bits probably means its no more
Msybe now the DF65 version 6 is out they may start selling the earlier version under a different name?
Sep 06, 2017, 07:11 AM
Definitely in stock in AU and the as reported in the US. The Global is out of stock and what you are probably seeing is the warehouses you can buy from are out of stock. Will it come back who knows.

Was disappointed in the sail bag, one it is now 50% less than what I paid but more importantly as mentioned it is a soft bag so their is no support for the mast and possible miss shaping the sail. Intend to add a rigid spline and some reinforcing of the sides to mine.
Sep 13, 2017, 01:04 AM
My apologies if this is buried somewhere in this thread (I looked here and on HK website, nothing found) but is there an updated build/instruction manual for this? They have us using a weird bowsie attachment to deck eye 1 through deck eye 2 and up to the jib to adjust the height. Deck eye 3 is never mentioned anywhere I can find. My DF65 uses a simplified setup like this with what would be deck eye 3 as the hook, so no adjustment.

I went with similar to DF65 type setup, but it would be nice to look at possibly more complete instructions.

And the "dyneema" cord they included with this Affinity is basically junk. Next question I am not finding an answer to is how to change out the jib lift cord?

Overall I am very happy with what I see here. In comparrision to a DF65, I can see a few places where corners were cut. The cord, cheap bowsies, and lets call it "incomplete instructions." I had extra bowsies on hand for other builds that happened to be DF65 items. They worked nicely.
Sep 13, 2017, 11:15 AM
Continuing above...

Okay I found instructions Chuck wrote up for the DF65 here: It would appear that the plug is intended to be glued in. If so, looks like the simple solution (other than to perhaps try to pull it out) would be to grab new parts from radiosailing.

I have not found any tuning guides for this boat. I will likely just start with the information for the DF65.
Sep 13, 2017, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
Continuing above...

It would appear that the plug is intended to be glued in. If so, looks like the simple solution (other than to perhaps try to pull it out) would be to grab new parts from radiosailing. .
Or you could do what we did before everything was handed to from china.
1 - drill into the end of the plug and glue in a cotter pin.
2 - cross drill the boom and thread your topping lift thru.
Sep 13, 2017, 01:35 PM
Good suggestions Craig! Simple and elegant, I will use one of those, when I decide to change out the rigging.... Really sucks that I have to. The cord supplied doesn't stay knotted where I put it. I am definatly NOT building the A rig with it. I built 90% of the B rig though. All that is left it the top jib adjuster cord and the sheet cords. I am going to swap over to some better cord for those too, if I can find the stuff Chuck (radiosailing) sent me. Right now the garage is a MESS inside after this whole hurricane thing. Not a "damage" mess, but me tearing through it right before as I got the house all prepped.

Hehe and I have been told that I have to put a boat toolkit together so the next time I am buildign a boat in the middle of a hurricane, I am not frantically looking through the house trying to find stuff... But hey, I was pleasantly occupied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat2011
... Will it come back who knows.
I hope so! Even with its few failings, I remeber that I paid $103 shipped. And it is worth every penny of that! I would seriously consider getting another one at this price! I have paid just $100 for sails and rigging, to just have a second boat ready to go... The parts alone on this, are worth that. In fact I am thinking I will weigh the unbuild A mast out and might think of using the bits on other projects. In fact, waiting for Craig to get back to his workshop and put a package together whoot!

Anyways, thinking out loud... If I could afford the extravegance right now, I would grab another one today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat2011
Was disappointed in the sail bag, one it is now 50% less than what I paid but more importantly as mentioned it is a soft bag so their is no support for the mast and possible miss shaping the sail. Intend to add a rigid spline and some reinforcing of the sides to mine.
Post pictures up if/when you do? I haven't gotten a chance to even look at it closer yet. Did you have any idea how you were going to go about this? I don't want to go "ghetto" and just glue a stiffener to the outside of it. I think the bag itself looks really good.
Sep 14, 2017, 06:38 PM
I rigged mine using the included line. The only thing I changed was adding bowsies to the boom line where they attach to the clip, making rigging and removal easier. The dyneema is slippery, but holds well with a drop of thin CA. I used my leftover line from my Dragonflite 95 first ,and I'm pretty sure it's the same .
Sep 14, 2017, 10:45 PM
BDL, my initial thoughts are a CF or wooden dowel glued to the inside of spline to take any load off masts and maybe 3-4mm coreflute panels attached to inside of sides to give a bit more protection to sails. Not sure how attached they have to be. Would not glue as they may need replacing over time. Possibly just free floating would be fine. Unless you use a hard case box some damage can always occur but with those mods I think I will be happy with the Affinity sail bag.