Affinity RG65 by HyroPro (HobbyKing) - Page 15 - RC Groups
Jun 10, 2017, 12:27 AM
lol wind speed is wind speed and it blows hard here enough said
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2017, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 732002
I'm going to believe that the lack of a battery hatch was to cut cost not for structural reasons.
The keel should make this area very strong. It is super convenient to charge the battery from a small hatch opening.

I rather like the wider hips on this hull compared to the DF65. I look forward to sailing the Columbia Gorge in 17-22 mph
with the C rig.

edit B rig..............................
we sail in Hood River at the marina at 1pm on sundays if you ever want to make the drive, pm me if interested.
Jul 15, 2017, 10:28 PM
I have just completed rigging my new Affinity. I still have a lot of Irish pennants to trim but it went together pretty easily.

This is my first sailboat and I couldn't resist the $91 sale price from HK.

What's the deal with deck eye #3 being clipped? I thought I recieved a defective boat, but zooming into all pics, I see they are all like that. What's its purpose?
Jul 15, 2017, 10:59 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Makes it easy to de-rig the boat. The end of the line just slips over the eye.
Jul 16, 2017, 07:51 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
I have just completed rigging my new Affinity. I still have a lot of Irish pennants to trim but it went together pretty easily.

This is my first sailboat and I couldn't resist the $91 sale price from HK.

What's the deal with deck eye #3 being clipped? I thought I recieved a defective boat, but zooming into all pics, I see they are all like that. What's its purpose?
As said, usually done to make it easier to derig, backstay, this loop, 2 for the sails and it can all be taken down
Jul 26, 2017, 12:32 PM
Now out if stock worldwide

And the price is the lowest its ever been
Jul 26, 2017, 06:13 PM
At present time, in stock in USA warehouse. $91 usd.

Their site also shows in stock from the global warehouse. Just checked it.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; Jul 26, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
Aug 06, 2017, 10:33 PM
Master of Disaster!
While I've been a sailor most of my life the Affinity is my first experience with R/C Sailing. I picked her up when I saw the price figuring it might be a fun distraction during the windy summer months when I don't get much flying in.

Because I am heavily into R/C airplanes, and for the past several years FPV airplanes, I had plenty of gear in the parts bin to use on the Affinity. I'm using a FrSky Taranis for everything I fly and had a D4R telemetry receiver and a GPS module I wasn't using so my Affinity gives me RX battery voltage and GPS coordinates, speed, and heading on the Taranis and is logged for future reference (see the attached Google Earth track of my sailing today). Kinda cool! I also have a micro sized FPV Camera/Transmitter that a Vendor sent me for a review that I am considering mounting. I have no idea if it's legal for racing but being able to see the sails at any distance should be an advantage - if not just plain fun!

So after a couple of outings of about 1.5 hours each I THINK I have her tuned pretty well but without another boat to compare to who knows! I can certainly say with authority that IT'S A GAS!!

For any of you more experienced than I, a few questions:
1) What kind of radio/receiver setups are you guys using and what sort of range do you count on? Using the GPS telemetry I have been out as far as about 550 feet, at which point I can hardly discern the boats orientation - much less what the sails are doing! Since I have no experience racing (YET!) I have no idea the size of the race courses.
2) As a sailor of full sized boats I've always (at least when racing) depended on telltails. Anyone have any advice on telltails for the Affinity - material, placement, color, etc.??
3) When it comes to racing my research tells me that the Affinity qualifies for the general RG65 class. If I add my little FPV cam to the boat any thoughts on how that would be accepted for a RG65 race?

Happy sailing!
SweetieInSF (A.K.A. Wayne)
Aug 07, 2017, 04:09 AM
Welcome, you are going to enjoy sailing the affinity

In my club we have all sorts of yachts, including some other affinitys, df65s including the new V6. The affinity holds its own with them, its all down to the skill of the skipper, so all i can say is practice, practice, practice!

The area we sail is about 50m x 50m, its a boat pond in the local park (Millhouses Park Sheffield), sharded with paddling boats which are normally tied up in the middle, so we use them as an island. It diesnt make the course very big but its fun all the same

You can put a tell tail ribbon on the top but better to read the wind, back of the neck, cold breeze coming through, ripples on the water, also easy to see what the other boats are doing, all clues to where the wind is, at our pond it swirls so you have boats heading towards each other with the wind on different directions!

Ive tried an fpv on the affinity, the best place for the camera is just before the mast, making sure the boom doesnt hit it, that way you can see the foresail and the line, giving you an indication of the wind, youll get the hang of it

I wouldnt take it out too far unless you have a means of getting it back, i have a little springer tug with a hook on that i can use to grab a line

Have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf
While I've been a sailor most of my life the Affinity is my first experience with R/C Sailing. I picked her up when I saw the price figuring it might be a fun distraction during the windy summer months when I don't get much flying in.

Because I am heavily into R/C airplanes, and for the past several years FPV airplanes, I had plenty of gear in the parts bin to use on the Affinity. I'm using a FrSky Taranis for everything I fly and had a D4R telemetry receiver and a GPS module I wasn't using so my Affinity gives me RX battery voltage and GPS coordinates, speed, and heading on the Taranis and is logged for future reference (see the attached Google Earth track of my sailing today). Kinda cool! I also have a micro sized FPV Camera/Transmitter that a Vendor sent me for a review that I am considering mounting. I have no idea if it's legal for racing but being able to see the sails at any distance should be an advantage - if not just plain fun!

So after a couple of outings of about 1.5 hours each I THINK I have her tuned pretty well but without another boat to compare to who knows! I can certainly say with authority that IT'S A GAS!!

For any of you more experienced than I, a few questions:
1) What kind of radio/receiver setups are you guys using and what sort of range do you count on? Using the GPS telemetry I have been out as far as about 550 feet, at which point I can hardly discern the boats orientation - much less what the sails are doing! Since I have no experience racing (YET!) I have no idea the size of the race courses.
2) As a sailor of full sized boats I've always (at least when racing) depended on telltails. Anyone have any advice on telltails for the Affinity - material, placement, color, etc.??
3) When it comes to racing my research tells me that the Affinity qualifies for the general RG65 class. If I add my little FPV cam to the boat any thoughts on how that would be accepted for a RG65 race?

Happy sailing!
SweetieInSF (A.K.A. Wayne)
Aug 07, 2017, 12:01 PM
Boomer1

tell tails

I found that on boats that have a decent back stay area you can attach a ribbon to that back stay in a place that works very nicely as a "tell-tail". I've seen some skippers put a wind vane on their crane. Whatever works to you. Some skippers are so good they seem like they as if they can see the wind and just beat you without any thing more than their darn skills!
I have met a few skippers that can beat you using anyone 's boat. Boy that 'ill chap your hide! At one time I was a decent tennis player and guys would tell me it was my racket that made so much difference in our games. Then i'd switch rackets with them and still win. That generally put an end to that discussion.

Sailing with great skippers is much the same. They provide great learning opportunities for we that aspire to their greatness. I have a ribbon on my favorite boat and it seems to give me some sense of confidence for those times I am confused as the wind direction. But frankly don't think I wins any more races than without it. My best friend has a Yamaha RTW just like mine and I've found that the red ribbons do help me tell which boat is mine. As I am happy to point out, my boat is in the lead - note the red ribbons flying off the back stay and crane!

I find that when sailing socially that having an adult beverage or two, seems to raise the amount of laughter for me and my pals. As witnessed by the photo below of my sailing buddies and Axle doing the "Captain Morgan" salute.
Suggest trying our beverage of choice for radio sailing Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and Ginger Ale - quite fitting for sailors!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 08, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
Aug 07, 2017, 12:13 PM

Telltales

Hi Wayne,

I also have a ribbon atop my mast. But really...Your jib is your best telltale.

As far as range goes, it goes out pretty much as far as you can see. Most sailing courses I have seen are well within sight/ range of todays modern systems. Personally, I have been out to 300 meters and still had good control. I use a Spektrum DX radio, with some $7.95 off brand receivers that work great at long ranges.

As far as FPV for RG 65 racing, in club racing it is probably OK if you clear it with the other members first. In higher levels it probably would be denied...but you can always ask beforehand.

Enjoy your new boat. You'll love the sailing hobby.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; Aug 07, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Aug 08, 2017, 12:41 AM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
I found that on boats that have a decent back stay area you can attach a ribbon to that back stay in a place that works very nicely as a "tell-tail". I've seen some skippers put a wind vane on their crane. Whatever works to you. Some skippers are so good they seem like they as if they can see the wind and just beat you without any thing more than their darn skills!
I have met a few skippers that can beat you using anyone 's boat. Boy that 'ill chap your hide! At one time I was a decent tennis player and guys would tell me it was my racket that made so much difference in our games. Then i'd switch rackets with them and still win. That generally put an end to that discussion.

Sailing with great skippers is much the same. They provide great learning opportunities for we that aspire to their greatness. I have a ribbon on my favorite boat and it seems to give me some sense of confidence for those times I am confused as the wind direction. But frankly don't think I wins any more races than without it. My best friend has a Yamaha RTW just like mine and I've found that the red ribbons do help me tell which boat is mine. As I am happy to point out, my boat is in the lead - note the red ribbons flying off the back stay and crane!

I find that when sailing socially that having an adult beverage or two, seems to raise the amount of laughter for me and my pals. As witnessed by the photo below of my sailing buddies and Axle doing the "Captain Morgan" salute.
Suggest trying our beverage of choice for radio sailing Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and Ginger Ale - quite fitting for sailors!

Boomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneer
Hi Wayne,

I also have a ribbon atop my mast. But really...Your jib is your best telltale.

As far as range goes, it goes out pretty much as far as you can see. Most sailing courses I have seen are well within sight/ range of todays modern systems. Personally, I have been out to 300 meters and still had good control. I use a Spektrum DX radio, with some $7.95 off brand receivers that work great at long ranges.

As far as FPV for RG 65 racing, in club racing it is probably OK if you clear it with the other members first. In higher levels it probably would be denied...but you can always ask beforehand.

Enjoy your new boat. You'll love the sailing hobby.
Thanks Gents! I have to agree that a great skipper is a great skipper regardless and that a "refreshing beverage" levels the playing field!

I learned to sail at age 12 and I beat EVERYONE (including my teachers and sailmakers) from the start. By age 15 or 16 I was the youngest certified Skipper ever in the Naval Postgraduate School Sailing Association in Monterey sailing Shields. I later moved into racing multi hulls and have sailed many boats from El Toros and Kites to Transpac contenders. 40 years ago I WAS one of those Skippers who couldn't lose.

Now, at nearly 60, I can't see beyond the end of my nose and only got into the R/C Sailboat thing as a way to spend my time during the windy summer season here when I don't get much R/C flying in. I'm already hooked (refreshing beverage in hand) and couldn't care less about winning a race! Next step is to find a club where I can race for Refreshing Beverages!!
Aug 08, 2017, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallettron
Now out if stock worldwide

And the price is the lowest its ever been

Think that I bought the last one from the UK warehouse as after making the purchase , it went "out of Stock" which was already the case in the EU and Global shops.

For any European Affinity sailors interested, I have bought what looks to be Breaking Wind Boats last supply of moulded Affinity deck hatches.

Also you may find this facebook page of interest https://www.facebook.com/groups/700480990128447
Aug 08, 2017, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy_cat
Think that I bought the last one from the UK warehouse as after making the purchase , it went "out of Stock" which was already the case in the EU and Global shops.

For any European Affinity sailors interested, I have bought what looks to be Breaking Wind Boats last supply of moulded Affinity deck hatches.

Also you may find this facebook page of interest https://www.facebook.com/groups/700480990128447

I have one of those as well, still have remove to charge the life batteries, so made a solid hatch with a balance socket in, that way i can recharge and still keep it sealed

Have you rerigged to df65 specs, works better now?
Aug 08, 2017, 01:59 PM

Air out your hull

I find it good to remove the hatch after every sailing session, and leave it open, so it airs out all humidity. Otherwise, things get corroded pretty quickly from trapped in water.

Quick Reply