Affinity RG65 by HyroPro (HobbyKing) - Page 13 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 16, 2017, 06:29 AM
Totally!!
I run mine on life packs. On an 800mah I have sailed for 5 hours only to put 300mah back into the pack.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2017, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaandy
Has anyone tried these servos on a lipo battery yet ? We have run our low voltage alien (same as a savox) servos on 2s for years now.
Would suggest that 8.4V would be to much for these servos and Rx. Definitely no warranty claims.
May 16, 2017, 08:40 AM
There is just no reason to run a 2S lipo in a small sailboat. They don't need a lot of power to run the servos. And will run all day on 1600mah 6V NiMh or if weight is a concern a Life 6.6V or 4 NiZn rechargables.
May 18, 2017, 10:20 AM
Affinity down to $113 in the US warehouse.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/explorer...-receiver.html
May 18, 2017, 11:45 AM
Boomer1
Most know I'm an advocate of the DF 65's and of the guy that has done an amazing job promoting these boats, Chuck at Radio Sailing has provided amazing support to his customers and to the sport in general. It's easy to refer folks interested in getting into this fun past time to him.

Having said that, this price is ridiculous even for Hobby King. One wonders if this is a close out deal? What kind of after sale support/service can a buyer expect? There is a fact of doing business which is "there has to be profit to provide service ".

Not suggesting anything, just stating the obvious. Time will tell the future of this very nice boat an attractive offer.

Boomer
May 18, 2017, 02:23 PM

Buy one right now. You won't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
. <snip> this price is ridiculous even for Hobby King. One wonders if this is a close out deal? What kind of after sale support/service can a buyer expect? There is a fact of doing business which is "there has to be profit to provide service ".

Not suggesting anything, just stating the obvious. Time will tell the future of this very nice boat an attractive offer.

Boomer
I bought one of these when they put them on Easter Sale. A few bucks less than this. This is a really quality boat. Very nicely packaged, excellent fittings and hardware, with great instructions. As a caution, I later purchased an extra servo, winch, switch, boom weights, etc...Those parts that I felt were special to the boat. In case, I needed a replacement in emergency. Hobby King delivered the parts extremely quickly (3 days DHL) at a reasonable price. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/boats-pa...___store=en_us They have a good inventory of spare parts on hand. And if that isn't good enough, many of the spare parts are interchangable with the DF65... so if you wish, you can source your parts orders to radiosailing.net.

Affinity will not race in the DF65 regional/national regattas. But most clubs will let you run the Affinity with them. In fun races. If you want to run in RG65 classes this boat is compliant. Although, if sailors ability is equal, the Affinity will be less than competitive at high performance RG65 racing. Once properly tuned, this boat handles very well and is very fast. Handles high winds and heavy seas with ease. With a plastic hatch and some sealing tape it is very dry.

In summary...with the addition of a Breaking Wind hatch cover, this is a great boat, at a great price, with great spare parts. I see no reason why anybody would need aftersale customer service on this item. Add to that, this boat comes with two sets of MYLAR sails, and a boom and all the mast parts for the small "B" sails. Changeover is less than 10 minutes at the pond. This boat gets my highest recommendation as best bang for the buck. UNBEATABLE AT THIS PRICE.

If you need a transmitter and receiver, Hobby King can set you up with a perfectly fine 2.4 system for less than $30.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; May 18, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
May 18, 2017, 03:05 PM
Boomer1
Vukcaneer,
No need to defend the boat. Remember I started this thread and I have an Affinity, DF 65 and DF 95. Clearly​
I'm​ a believer My comments were simply observations and thoughts.
I gave my Affinity to my Son-in-law so we can sail together when we visit them.
The prices being offered for this little boat make it very attractive to first time boaters, no doubt about it.
All of your points are well made and fair.

To be true to my point having trusted dealer is worth a lot
in the peace of mind aspect of new comers in particular.
Boomer
May 18, 2017, 04:23 PM
Hi Boomer, No problem here. I also believe the DF65 and DF95 are great boats. And supported by a great dealer.

But, it is important for the readers to understand, the Affinity is a different boat than a DF65. Same manufacturer...but DIFFERENT BOAT. And a different dealer. Much MUCH lower price point, wider beam, larger sails...and an included smaller B set (with mast and boom) . Mylar sails which are different than up to V6 DF65. And compliant with a completely different class. Both are great boats. With similar quality standard. While similar boats...way different by its configured offering and application.

I can understand and agree with your allegiance to Chuck and his company support of the DF65.

What I cannot agree with is the feeling that Hobby King is somewhat sub-standard. Maybe one day they were. I always felt that way too. But in the last couple years, I have been VERY pleased with their service. As well as, their products. Airplanes, batteries, servos, accessories, sailboats, etc. Certainly on a par with Tower Hobby, Horizon Hobby, Hobbico, and other on-line sources.

And if you want to consider their profitability, I'll bet they are very profitable. Maybe more profitable than most of the aforementioned. They may have very low margins on this Affinity. But profits on other products will more than support a few lost leaders. And with the turn around in their product support, I doubt customers need to worry about them going out of business any time soon.

I know you started this thread. And I thank you for that and your many great contributions in RC Groups. However, this thread is about the Affinity. The DF65 has its own thread.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; May 18, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
May 18, 2017, 09:21 PM
From my experience HK have improved over the last few years with supply of goods and customer satisfaction.

But from having had Shunbos from HK dating back 10+ years there parts support for these yachts has been very poor and it was only in recent times they started to stock some spare parts. They still don't stock the B1226 winch servo which has been the stock winch servo for those yachts since they started selling them.

With the Affinity they and any owners are in a no loose situation. If HK suddenly stopped selling them and parts, owners will still be able to source parts through the joysway distributers. Most are common to the DF65 and the hull could be substituted by a Explorer (or DF65) and the sails by V6 DF65.

For that price for a ARTR which they are being sold at you cant say no and would be a good buy for those who want a social sailor or don't care about being at the front of the fleet. With any yacht where you are sailing multiple types in a race situation it is not that you beat all the other yachts , it is just about how you come against the other yachts of the same type if you want to race. In some conditions they give the DF65 a run for its money.
Last edited by tugboat2011; May 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM.
May 18, 2017, 10:13 PM
good price is right I just got one for $105 I saw it the other night and put it in the basket it was still there today at that price it is now at 113 so I grabbed it for 105 up to 3 boats already
May 19, 2017, 03:00 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
At these prices its worth having a spare, the DF parts will still fit so its really a spare hull you are buying. I dont think they will sell much longer, i suspect they have another hull ready for sail and are making sure they dont have stock left over. Apart from a couple of problems ive seen regarding a crack by the front bumper these have been really reliable
May 19, 2017, 08:20 PM
that's why I got it you cant go wrong, 2 rigs and mylar sail for 105 is a great deal the boat is free.
May 19, 2017, 08:53 PM
does this boat need to be sealed (eyelets) like all the df65's except the version 6 ? thanks
May 19, 2017, 09:15 PM
I haven't sealed the deck eyes yet. Had it is pretty heavy weather and sea. Only once had a slight bit of water in the bilge. The one time I used painters tape. Maybe a quarter teaspoon.

I do have a plastic hatch cover, that I tape down with vinyl tape.

I just hate to mess with things like deck eyes. If in the future they show signs of leakage, I'll pull em out and ca their threads and reinsert. I'll be careful not to close up the eyes with glue. They need to be wide open to help with changing rigs.

If you suspect leakage, I recommend you seal the hatch real good. Then spray soapy water over the deck eyes. And then pull out the drain plug. And blow air in through the hole. You'll quickly find any leaks. Don't blow too hard. You could fracture the hull.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; May 19, 2017 at 09:22 PM.
May 20, 2017, 05:13 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaandy
does this boat need to be sealed (eyelets) like all the df65's except the version 6 ? thanks
I did the back 2 as per the df65 tips, never much of a problem, mainly the deck patch. What this needs is a solid cover with charging port in