Affinity RG65 by HyroPro (HobbyKing) - RC Groups
Jun 15, 2016, 09:50 AM
Boomer1
Discussion

Affinity RG65 by HyroPro (HobbyKing)

Looks like the folks at Hobby King are bringing out a new "racing yacht". At the time of this post little is known about this new boat.
They have posted a photo on facebook and little else accompanied the photo.
As more information is available we can post it here.
Lots of questions for sure.
Quality?
Specifications?
Price?
How does it sail?
Materials of construction?
Who's the builder?
Are they targeting the DF 65?

Comments are invited.
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2016, 11:06 AM
A quote feom another tread

"According to a post on another forum it is a rebadged Joysway Explorer V2 with mylar sails."
Jun 15, 2016, 11:35 AM
Boomer1
I thought it looked familiar. Interesting how much nicer it looks without all the colorfull graphics.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 15, 2016 at 11:42 AM.
Jun 15, 2016, 12:49 PM
So, Affinity or Explorer V2, will it fit into the RG65 or DF65 class? Or is it too early to tell.
Jun 15, 2016, 12:54 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Cannot be a DF65 - it is a a one design "class". If it measures out it may fit into the RG65 class.
Jun 15, 2016, 02:19 PM
Boomer1
The Explorer was made out of Fiberglass originally, later the V3 version was made out of ABS. Likely it can't be raced in DF 65 events. Still haven't found any details on the Affinity.

Here's some information on an Explorer:
Product Description
JOYSWAY J9903 Explorer RTR Sailboat
Joysway Explorer RTR RC Sailboat Specifications: Length: 655 mm/25.8 in
Beam: 148 mm/5.8 in
Mast Height: 915 mm/36 in
Overall Height: 1338 mm/52.7 in
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Zinc Alloy Ballast with Aluminum Keel
Carbon Fiber Mast and Booms
Plywood Boat Stand Included:
Servo(s): 2
Radio System: 2.4Ghz 4-Channel.
Light Weight Fiberglass Hull V3 version ABS
Product Dimensions 25.8 x 5.8 x 52.7 inches
Item Weight 5.5 pounds
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 15, 2016 at 03:16 PM.
Jun 15, 2016, 04:49 PM
Unless it has a soft bow snubber, it won't comply with RG65 rules.

It can't qualify as a DF65, as the DF65 rules state that the hull and almost everything else must come from the manufacturer - Joysway.

It may be allowed by some clubs for club racing, as I believe one of two accept the Explorer.
Jun 15, 2016, 05:02 PM
It looks like it comes from the Joysway plant, uses the DF keel and rig, has updated Mylar sails and a fiberglass instead of a plastic hull. Is it more money than a DF? If it's about the same price it seems like it could be a nice companion to the DF for a low cost RG65 series. More choices, more participants.
Jun 15, 2016, 05:08 PM
Boomer1
Fozzy,
If the assumptions are correct the Affinity is made by Joysway. Can't tell if it has an OEM bumper from the picture we have. If not, it is simple enough to put one on.
Once we have more facts on this boat we'll know. Found a few more pictures of the now discontinued Explorer. The closer you look the more it looks like the two boats are" one in the same". They've changed the hatch cover - I kind of like the one on the Explorer not a fan of using tape to seal hatches
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 30, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Jun 15, 2016, 05:32 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
It looks like it comes from the Joysway plant, uses the DF keel and rig, has updated Mylar sails and a fiberglass instead of a plastic hull. Is it more money than a DF? If it's about the same price it seems like it could be a nice companion to the DF for a low cost RG65 series. More choices, more participants.
Yes if it fits with in the rules of RG-65 racing it can compete against other RG-65s.
But it can not compete as DF-65 because it is not a Dragon Force 65, even if it is made by the same manufacturer.
Jun 15, 2016, 07:50 PM
It will be an entry level RG65 with both A and B sets of sails, built in ABS for around $195 Australian. Launch date, early spring, down under.
It is not a DF65 so it can only compete in an Open RG65 race/event.
As you can see from the photo, a bumper is attached.
Jun 15, 2016, 10:53 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

Confused would like some clarity please

Ok , I know I'm new on the scene here but after my club mate went to the Nationals in Richmond Va. recently I thought as he did the "RG65" class was the same as the DF RG65 just abbreviated.! Long story short, Whats the Diff?? are they NOT Dragon Force RG65 Boats or What??? I know they are not the NEW class pending of DF 95's so can some one help explain in short layman rookie terms what I'm not getting here?? If the boats are not Dragon's 65s what are they?? Thx in advance! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Jun 15, 2016, 11:12 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
The DF65 is a sub set of the RG65 class. To sail with other DF65's it must have the mfgr equipment or approved alternative, as a ''One Design" class. The RG65 class is a developmental class where most anything goes.

See their website for more info

http://www.rg65usa.org/
Jun 16, 2016, 12:48 PM
So the mast height, sails etc are pretty much like the DF65 it seems? Not higher aspect like the majority of RG65? Which sorta just makes it a DF65 with a different hull right? Never hurts to have another low price option to get people into the RG's just seems like if it needs modification to be competitive in the RG class and not fitting into the established DF class it sort of sequesters it to a corner on it's own where people would likely end up choosing a DF instead because of the established OD class. I think personally if they had given this boat a high aspect max area sail plan and close to max height rig with a touch more ballast it would have put it more squarely in the competitive RG category. Just my 2 cents.