Aug 24, 2016, 12:39 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Just for fun, I've posted a couple of pictures of my new DF 65 and my Affinity RG65.
You can see there is a number of differences in the two hulls. I haven't put a tape on them yet to measure them but it looks a bit like the DF 65 is a bit longer. The Affinity is definitely wider and has a deeper hull.
They are both very nice looking boats and as we know feature the same internals and rigging.
I have targeted my "soon to be" son in law as the new owner of the Affinity. Think it will be a good way to build a new sailing buddy! As I get a little free time I'll take more pictures to contrast the boats differences.
No particular reason, just thought it'd be interesting. It will be interesting to document any noticeable differences in sailing characteristics.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 25, 2016 at 09:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2016, 01:15 PM
Interesting comparison of the hulls of the 2 boats.

As an aside, how are you liking the '95? Wanting one but have pretty much had to stop sailing what I have until I find another lake. Only have bulb keel boats (Nirvana, Seawind & DF65) and the underwater weed infestation(s) have made it virtually impossible for a bulb keel boat. Have been stuck in the middle of the lake (about 10 acres) more than once. Had to have someone with a Jon boat rescue me, weeds were so thick.

Guys I sail with all have Soling 1M's and don't have any issues.
Aug 24, 2016, 01:23 PM
From those photos I'd say that the Affinity is too short to be a class legal RG65. The hull, excluding bow bumper has to be 650 +/- 5mm.
Aug 24, 2016, 01:45 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
I just measured both boats and they are the same length. So it is just an optical illusion. The angle of the transom on the Affinity is different than the DF 65 which resulted in making it (DF65) appear longer . Both boat's published lengths are the same.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 24, 2016 at 06:11 PM.
Oct 03, 2016, 05:44 PM
I have to say this Affinity is getting pretty popular. I been sending hatch covers all over the globe 5 and 10 at a time. Great boat and a great price. People seem really happy with it.
Oct 03, 2016, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzway
I have to say this Affinity is getting pretty popular. I been sending hatch covers all over the globe 5 and 10 at a time. Great boat and a great price. People seem really happy with it.
I maidened my Affinity this past weekend. Not much wind but very relaxing. Next time I will try it in the sea, after I get my hatches from Huzway. Also hope to get a better photo...
Oct 03, 2016, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian
I maidened my Affinity this past weekend. Not much wind but very relaxing. Next time I will try it in the sea, after I get my hatches from Huzway. Also hope to get a better photo...
Any day now Ricardo I'm sure. To bad they dont have tracking on the boat it is on like the Volvo race.
Oct 08, 2016, 05:02 AM
I add a video of my Affinity and a friend...i need drive boat and make video...not simple:
AffinityHydroPro (4 min 3 sec)
Oct 10, 2016, 03:41 AM
The question now is: the Affinity can compete with Dragonforce? there is game would be a challenge or learn?
Last edited by maverick4you; Oct 10, 2016 at 05:33 AM.
Oct 12, 2016, 10:39 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick4you
The question now is: the Affinity can compete with Dragonforce? there is game would be a challenge or learn?
Sorry but I don't understand your question " there is game would be a challenge or learn?"
Perhaps a typing error or translation issue?? Or could be I'm not very bright>
Oct 12, 2016, 12:36 PM
My guess, - after trying like you to understand is ....he may be looking for a local regatta or race in which to compete to see if his Affinity is as fast - or faster- than the Dragon Force.

maverick4you.... Sorry if this is NOT your question.

Dick
Oct 12, 2016, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Sorry but I don't understand your question " there is game would be a challenge or learn?"
Perhaps a typing error or translation issue?? Or could be I'm not very bright>
Google Translation mistake!
My english is not very good but the google translation some time is worse.
I try to write my question in more simple word:
I'd like to know if the Affinity is faster the DF65, or if they have similar performance
I hope that now my question is more compresibile
Oct 12, 2016, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
My guess, - after trying like you to understand is ....he may be looking for a local regatta or race in which to compete to see if his Affinity is as fast - or faster- than the Dragon Force.

maverick4you.... Sorry if this is NOT your question.

Dick
The question was this. Know if Affinity and DF65 have similar performance but I think no one has yet been able to verify this
thanks
Oct 12, 2016, 02:32 PM
Ahhh Haaa ----well, I guess I was pretty close

EDIT: ADDED....I would guess that if anyone came to an RG65 regatta, they probably would be able to race. I'm not sure if the Dragon Force guys are that open to let a non-Dragon Force boat sail with them. I have a Dragon Force, and locally we sail them with the RG65 and allow the Micro Magic class boats to sail along. Usually the class RG65's will win over the other two - mainly because of sail area size. I might get a replacement hull for the DF and fit it out with the "A" size maximum class sails just to see.

Regards, Dick
Oct 12, 2016, 02:39 PM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick4you
The question was this. Know if Affinity and DF65 have similar performance but I think no one has yet been able to verify this
thanks
Ive raced against 65s at our local pond, i think the affinity has a marginal speed advantage when its going but the 65s tend to pick up speed quicker. I think its down to the shape of the hull when its leaning over in the water

Quick Reply