Jun 22, 2016, 06:56 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
John
Thanks for the information. We have a good thread going here. Suggest not diluting it. Easier to keep one going strong than multiple threads. Up to you.
Any additional insights you can share are welcomed and appreciated.
I am sure there will be questions from others, be great if you monitor the thread and jump in when you can.
Boomer
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2016, 04:04 AM

Replacement Spare Parts for HydroPro Affinity

Full spare parts inventory is available for the Affinity via the following link, replacement/spare sails and RG65 Sailbags will be in stock shortly.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...are_Parts.html
Jun 24, 2016, 06:47 AM
Why did Joysway agree to produce the Affinity for HK, to make more money. That is the business they are in. To get more models out there that share many common parts means more parts sales at minimum cost. So we have the Explorer, Affinity, Pirate and DF65 which appear to share many parts.

What unfortunately appears to have happened is HK have undercut the parts prices with support from Joysway. I have used the AU Joysway parts distributer compared to HK as a test, You will have to do your own sums for your area. Taking these two items assuming they are the same parts which has been suggested, Winch servo and Main boom kit the cost to the door is HWH - $46.05AU and HK - 38.61AU. But HWH is a week delivery and HK is 3 weeks for me.

To me this is a slap in the face to the 3 world distributers who have spent a lot of money and time promoting Joysway products up to this point.

That how I see it, will be interesting to see other cost comparisons.
Jun 27, 2016, 09:16 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
I have "a bone to pick" with the designers of these boats Why can't they design boats with a hatch that actually seals without having use tape?

To be fair the Affinity and DF 65 are not the only production boats that come with hatch designs that leak.

It just brothers me that the designers don't care, or are not able to figure it out. (Which I don't believe.)

If I can come up with "fixes" those designers surely can do a better job designing boats that are actually water tight. What a crazy idea.
Boomer
Jun 28, 2016, 12:20 AM
I would suggest cost is the main factor. A lot easier to make hatch opening that only requires a sticky patch or some tape when the hulls are thin ABS. When they were built out of FG there was more chance of them building a solid hatch frame to bed a hatch cover to.

But as you have said there are plenty of yachts that leak via the hatch. The most expensive yacht I have is a Seawind it leaks, the most inexpensive is a Monsoon and that leaks and so do the numerous ones in between.

When they use the sticky patch/tape they also ensure on going sales of it.

The sticky patches are not new as they have been used as a mod under other leaking hatches and they do seal.

HK selling cheaper DF65 parts is going to hurt the existing 3 DF65 distributers I would imagine. The US would be the least affected as they sell only the DF65. The UK and AU distributers sell other Joysway yachts that use the common components so would be more affected. Spares are not only sold as replacement parts but are often used in modding of other yachts so they are a good money earner.

HK has said they will be releasing more yachts but have not been specific. Windward has already posted that there is an agreement not to clone the 95 or parts. Hopefully that stays.

Edit - Not sure why you say the DF65 leaks, from my perspective it is one of the driest yachts there is but does rely on the sticky patch cover. It works and is low initial cost.
Last edited by tugboat2011; Jun 28, 2016 at 02:56 AM.
Jun 28, 2016, 02:09 AM
Boomer

you might find that DESIGNERS do care
Jun 28, 2016, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
I have "a bone to pick" with the designers of these boats Why can't they design boats with a hatch that actually seals without having use tape?

To be fair the Affinity and DF 65 are not the only production boats that come with hatch designs that leak.

It just brothers me that the designers don't care, or are not able to figure it out. (Which I don't believe.)

If I can come up with "fixes" those designers surely can do a better job designing boats that are actually water tight. What a crazy idea.
Boomer

Three years ago I got my first DF65. I made templates for the battery and radio hatches. I went to my local sign writing company, spent AU$6 on off cuts from their vinyl signs and still have enough of them to last for another six months sailing and I have never had water in the boats.
Jun 28, 2016, 05:00 AM
Boomer on the 95 four stips of tape and sail in 30 knts not one drop of water the same with the 65 main patch has been on for over 9 months just use a new battery patch every 4 battery changes never one drop of water in the boat
Jun 28, 2016, 08:17 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Gents,
I am not saying that the tape doesn't work. It does. I don't have to like it. My point is very simple, the designers
of these boats are capable of designing a water tight hatch
that doesn't require tape to seal it.
I spent over 30 years in the plastics industry, and still have a decent grip on producing objects made out of ABS and other thermoplastic or thermoset materials.
I don't believe these folks are not up to this. These boats are terrific and I love them.
Just don't get leaky hatch designs. No offense intended Mark, just sayin a hair more thought, or a hair more wall thickness or taking a chance on a little higher cost, whatever, it is a "pet peeve" of mine.
These boats are an example of what can be done by talented people. A "tape free" water tight hatch should not be a reach for such a wealth of talent.
That restated is the "bone" I am picking.
Respectfully,
Boomer
Jun 28, 2016, 09:48 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
I have to agree with Boomer and we know it's easily done with foam gasket material based on the Explorer hatch design here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=29

This boat has never had a drop of water inside compared to my DF65 which has let in water through the battery "hatch" due to the tape not sealing completely after being re-used several times.
This becomes even more of an issue with the DFlt95 where the main hatch tape seal must be broken after every sail to charge the battery.
Jun 28, 2016, 05:32 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Rob
I measured the opening on Affinity using a tape measure from the points shown in the photos. If you can confirm they are the same as on your Explorer it may be possible to source an Explorer hatch to start with.
5 1/8" x 3 5/16"
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 28, 2016 at 06:20 PM.
Jun 28, 2016, 06:03 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Update - I was able to locate a new Explorer hatch cover on E-bay. The seller confirmed the measurements matched my measurements of the hatch opening on the Affinity. So we now know the openings are the same on both hulls, which would suggest the hulls are the same.

This is good sine the Explorer hatch cover will provide a good base point to come up with a water tight hatch that won't require tape for a seal!

Joysway Deck - Explorer - #990303 $8.00 free shipping not to BAD!
Should save some time.

Just noticed the Explorer didn't have an ON/OFF like the Affinity - another new addition

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 28, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Jun 28, 2016, 06:22 PM
That's great Boomer.
The only downside to the Explorer hatch is the forward attachment point.
There is a single machine screw threaded into the fwd center point of the hatch.
This is meant to fit into a hole drilled into the front coaming.
The hatch material is very thin and hollow so that the machine screw was loose in the hatch.
This could be rectified with some epoxy, but I wanted something more secure and not just in the center of the hatch, hence my dual purpose aluminum hatch hold-down and mainsheet guide-block as per my other post.
BTW, my boats are all packed up now, as I am moving, so it great that you were able to find the hatch and dimensions on E-bay.
The other challenge may be securing the foam tape around the coming on the Affinity.
The explorer uses a plywood servo tray which is about an 1/8th of an inch smaller than the hatch opening. The foam tape sits inside this small gap between the plywood and coaming.
It sits about 1/16" above the plywood tray which acts as a compression stop mechanism so you don't totally crush the foam when tightening the rear screw.

HTH.
Art
Jun 28, 2016, 06:30 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Art
I have studied your photos and understand your explanation. Once I have the cover I should be able to conjure up something that will work and look good too!
Thank you for the insights!
Where are you moving to? Vancouver is a beautiful place!!
Boomer
Jun 28, 2016, 07:05 PM
The Explorer is actually my wife's boat, when she feels like puttering around a bit.
Vancouver Island is even more beatifuller.... LOL
I'll be sailing IOM's with the guys over there.

Long Lake IOM racing 24 June 2016 (18 min 16 sec)

Quick Reply