Jun 14, 2016, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Thing You Most Want On Your Next Drone

I'll go ahead and start it off. I want a built in 360 degree camera.

Not one you can rotate, something like Samsung 360 Cam or LG 360 Cam or 6 GoPros stitched together. Rather I want it built into the drone/gimbal unit or at least easily attached and supported by the manufacturer.

Name yours. Could be anything that isn't currently on a mainsteam drone.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2016, 05:47 PM
I'd love a revolving filter holder that sits inside the lens. The filters would only have to be tiny if they are behind the front element. A small number of pro lenses have little slots at the back for holding small gel filters.

Imagine being able to load up your most used filters on the ground and select them from the controller, like in a 6 CD changer type arrangement. Would be great to switch to an ND filter to gain or lose a few stops as the sun rises or sets, or load a grad filter then remove it for straight down shots.
Jun 14, 2016, 05:50 PM
@mx42689 I can't wait for someone to incorporate a 360 degree camera with stabilized gimbal into a solid platform. Obviously the drone would block at least a small portion of the FOV which could easily be overcome through an additional camera for the blocked area.

I personally am very excited about beyond line of sight applications and hope the big guys (DJI, Parrot, etc) start to incorporate cellular connectivity for command, control, and communication. 4G LTE and future service will ultimately provide huge advancements in the industry and amount of applications.

I think we are in the "cell phone the size of a briefcase" stage of drones. I think the size, flight duration, and capabilities will make leaps in bounds in the next decade.

I know Lithium-oxygen batteries have potential to greatly increase flight duration as well as hybrid systems as we've seen in cars. LIDAR is another technology that holds great promise but could still use some help in size and price.

Ultimately I see cars becoming obsolete. Uber with pilotless drones is my vision. Just plug in your pick-up and delivery address and let the drone fly the most efficient and safe route possible! No more sitting in traffic or distracted drivers! Ahhhhh the possibilities!
Jun 14, 2016, 05:51 PM
Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial_IRL
I'd love a revolving filter holder that sits inside the lens. The filters would only have to be tiny if they are behind the front element. A small number of pro lenses have little slots at the back for holding small gel filters.

Imagine being able to load up your most used filters on the ground and select them from the controller, like in a 6 CD changer type arrangement. Would be great to switch to an ND filter to gain or lose a few stops as the sun rises or sets, or load a grad filter then remove it for straight down shots.
Jun 14, 2016, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Dang that would be cool! ND filters being built in would be huge. Determining what is necessary while on the ground can be tricky and having a built in ND swapper would make life so easy. Uber drones are a ways off in my opinion. FAA is taking long enough to implement drone rules in the airspace system. These are small light pieces of plastic flying around. Drones that could lift humans are going to be large and heavy and the public outcry and fitting them into the airspace system and establishing low altitude routes will take at least 10-20 years if not many more decades.
Jun 14, 2016, 06:26 PM
Thing You Most Want On Your Next Drone:

To be able to fly it wherever/whenever I want without worrying about the police, the FAA, the Federal Government, or anyone else telling me I can't do it, fining me, or throwing me in jail (provided I use it responsibly).
Jun 14, 2016, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol
Thing You Most Want On Your Next Drone:

To be able to fly it wherever/whenever I want without worrying about the police, the FAA, the Federal Government, or anyone else telling me I can't do it, fining me, or throwing me in jail (provided I use it responsibly).
True. I fly in Orange County, CA and have yet to be bothered by any type of authority. Granted, I do fly it responsibly, but I'm just waiting for the day that I get a noise complaint and get hassled for flying legally in a public space. Quieter drones could help with this as well...

What are your guy's thoughts on quieter drones? Do you like the noise to a) be able to tell where it is. and b) alert people you're there, or do you wish to remain incognito/ not disturb?
Jun 14, 2016, 07:06 PM
Would love my chroma to be water proof
Jun 14, 2016, 07:19 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Thing You Most Want On Your Next Drone?

For people to stop calling them "Drones!"
Jun 14, 2016, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo747
Would love my chroma to be water proof
This. I keep seeing this stuff that people are putting on their products making things waterproof. I was at a show and this guy submerged his Phantom 4 in a fish tank for a full minute, pulled it out and immediately flew it. I'm seeing this stuff more and more mainstream, needs incorporated.
Jun 14, 2016, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
I fought it for so long, but once you embrace it, it is what it is. Just like "Hey, grab me a kleenex, my nose is running."
Jun 14, 2016, 08:10 PM
Leaf on the wind
360 3D 4K VR, 1 hour per pack, 2 mile range, all on a <250 Carbon fiber Kiss FC/esc 2206 5040x3 freestyle/racer for $200 ARF

What? Too much to ask for?
Jun 14, 2016, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
360 3D 4K VR, 1 hour per pack, 2 mile range, all on a <250 Carbon fiber Kiss FC/esc 2206 5040x3 freestyle/racer for $200 ARF

What? Too much to ask for?
Eh, maybe all of those but one.
Jun 14, 2016, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Here here!

Just say "no", and use the proper descriptive name.
Jun 14, 2016, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe3
I fought it for so long, but once you embrace it, it is what it is. Just like "Hey, grab me a kleenex, my nose is running."
You mean "grab me some paper, my nose is running" right?

Because kleenex is a very specific type of paper, same as quadcopter is a specific type of drone.

If we spoke about everything the same way drone is bantered about, we'd never sucessfully communicate to anyone.

Quick Reply