C-150 Texas Tail-Dragger - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 30, 2016, 03:28 PM
Still Waiting on the plastic parts for this one?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2016, 09:39 PM

Fitting the Lift Struts

Sorry for the Pause. Been working on the plans and instructions for the Connie and haven't spent as much time on this one as I should have. However, progress has been made.

Got the lift struts set up. No big deal here, just a single lift strut. Doesn't get much easier then that.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jun 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Jun 30, 2016, 09:46 PM

Starting to Cover and Setting Up the Flaps

The flap was covered first, then the bottom of the wing was covered, and before the top cover went on the flaps had to be set up. The hinges were glued in first, then the pushrods made up from .032 wire and a brass tube sleeve that is soldered in place to finalize the length of the pushrod.
Jun 30, 2016, 09:49 PM

Finishing Up the Cover and Graphics

After both wings were done the rest of the airframe was covered and the graphics applied. As you can see, Callie out-did herself on this one.
Jun 30, 2016, 09:52 PM

Getting the Windows In

Patterns were made for the front and rear windows, then the Acetate parts were made up and all of the windows installed. Once dry, the doors were hinged using vinyl tape.
Jun 30, 2016, 09:58 PM

Setting Up the Cowl and Wheel Pants

The plastic parts arrived a couple days ago so was able to get everything worked up and painted yesterday. The cowl was cleverly done in a top, bottom, and front sections, so no seam filling was needed. The cowl was marked and cut to length, then mounted using small servo screws into bass wood blocks.

And for those who plan to build the Tricycle gear version, the cowl can be screwed on with removable sections should nose wheel maintenance be required.
Jun 30, 2016, 10:07 PM

Setting Things up th Fly

With all of the cover and final assembly finished the JR RG612BX Rx was set up and the model programmed into the XG-8 Tx. The flaps were set up at 20 & 45 degrees with a pinch of down elevator mixed in. The flap delay was set for 1 second, so the flaps roll out slowly rather then simply snappy down. Neat thing about that Tx, the elevator trim speed can be set to match the flap deployment too, so the trim comes on slowly to prevent the quick pitch up or down like back when we were using those add-on servo speed adjusters that only altered the speed of the flap servos.

Once it was all set up, the CG was checked and it turned out to be right on the money, so the battery tray was glued into the cockpit floor and with that she was ready to fly.
Jun 30, 2016, 10:22 PM

A Good Day for a Maiden

Got up this morning to drizzling rain a a whole bunch of lightning, but the bad stuff was off in the distance enough that I figured we might get a maiden in between squalls. I didn't button things up till around 10:00 o'clock last night, so couldn't get our trusty camera guru lined up.

As it turns out, there was a window of opportunity between the bad lightning, so off we went. The flight itself went great. The model flies beautifully, and didn't even need trim till the first time the flaps came down. Turns out there was too much elevator mixed, so after she came down the set up was adjusted accordingly.

Otherwise, the 150 flies exactly as expected. Control input is pretty spunky, but she's not twitchy, and even with full flaps never gave any indication that trouble was coming -- in spite of the choppy air or threatening storms. But to stay on the safe side, the flight was a short one -- 6 minutes or so, but saw what I wanted to see, so will put her away till the weather clears and can get back out and shake her down properly.

The only snag was that the right wheel pant broke of taxiing out, and the left on gave way landing. So I brought her home and put them back on, but if they come off again I'll mount up larger wheels and leave them off.

In the end, the model weighed in at 26.6 oz. with a 2200 2S battery. Power from the 2217 w/ an APC 11-5.5E prop is well more then adequate, and never got much over 1/2 power the whole flight. Once the weather clears will get her out and get some in-flight shots.

PAT
Jun 30, 2016, 11:02 PM
Airliner Builder
Callie's graphics look fantastic! Glad to hear she flies well.
Jul 01, 2016, 02:37 PM
Great to hear the maid n went well. Now I'm just waiting on kit availability. I may just buy two.
Jul 01, 2016, 03:03 PM
For all who might be wondering; The C-150 kit will provide the necessary parts to build the standard tricycle gear version as well as the Texas Taildragger version. So not to fear, the guys who want to build the stock 150 can do it without modification to the kit.

PAT
Jul 01, 2016, 05:07 PM
Pat, the C-150 looks great! Congrats on another wonderful design.

"The only snag was that the right wheel pant broke of taxiing out, and the left on gave way landing. So I brought her home and put them back on, but if they come off again I'll mount up larger wheels and leave them off."

"We don't need no stinking wheel pants..."
Last edited by cbalgra; Jul 01, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
Jul 11, 2016, 06:21 PM

In-Flight Photos

We finally got the in-flight shots of the 150. And the good news is that the plans and instructions are nearly finished, so kit development will be underway very soon.

PAT
Jul 11, 2016, 06:37 PM
Looks downright smashing, Pat!
Aug 27, 2016, 12:15 AM
Any news on when its gonna be realesed?