C-150 Texas Tail-Dragger - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 13, 2016, 09:21 PM

Building the Horizontal Stabilizer

The stabilizer is framed up in the conventional fashion. Once the parts are together, the airfoil is trimmed and sanded into the ribs. Note that during construction shims are used to center the leading and trailing edges and the tips.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2016, 09:24 PM

Building the Vertical Tail

The vertical stab goes together just like the horizontal. The tail wheel strut is built into the leading edge, and the bottom fared using file folder paper.
Jun 13, 2016, 09:26 PM

Building the Doors

The door are framed, then skinned using file folder paper. The handles will be added after the doors are covered.
Jun 13, 2016, 09:28 PM

Finishing Out the Cabin

The skylight formers were fitted and glued in place on the upper cabin stringers. The formers were curved to match the profile of the cabin using a model ship makers plank bender.
Jun 13, 2016, 09:34 PM

Dry Run

With all of the major framing done, the components were assembled and found to fit very well. So at this point, about all that's left before covering is to add the lift strut retainer tubes, build up the struts, and carve the tail fairing blocks. The cowl mold will also need to be carved and sent out to sparky. Once all that's done it's down to a final detail sanding and covering.

PAT
Jun 14, 2016, 03:54 PM
Gravity sucks.
Nice work Pat,as always.
Jun 14, 2016, 05:05 PM
Nice and quick!

Subbed
raipe
Jun 15, 2016, 06:07 PM
DFS#000178
Do a fastback C-172B next!

Jun 15, 2016, 06:29 PM
Rampage, I thought about that, but if I were to do it, it would have to be an option to do the "straight tail" version too.

PAT
Jun 15, 2016, 07:21 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Rampage, I thought about that, but if I were to do it, it would have to be an option to do the "straight tail" version too.

PAT
I'd love to see that too. Maybe in an early C-182? '59-ish?

I'm going to be building an old Herr C-180 and converting it to a 182. But it's nowhere near the detail of your kits.
Jun 15, 2016, 07:50 PM
Rampage, Here's the 53.7" 180 that could be easily modified to a 182; http://patscustom-models.com/closeout.html

PAT
Jun 16, 2016, 10:32 AM
Awesome plane Pat! Would it be possible to do as a tricycle gear too?
Jun 16, 2016, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL45
Awesome plane Pat! Would it be possible to do as a tricycle gear too?
Absolutely. The kit is designed and will include the parts needed to do either version. Meanwhile, I got the cowl mold built up and ready to go out, and the decals are in the works. Will get started covering real soon.

PAT
Jun 17, 2016, 03:40 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info! Look forward to seeing the kits available!
Jun 17, 2016, 05:32 PM
Pat she looks great can't wait to get the kit. Still bummed Dare couldn't produce the 40 incher you built. My 40 in Cessna has stalled after losing motivation after putting my black lab down last week. Once I get motivated I would like to get her finished. How do you find the time to build all these planes?