C-150 Texas Tail-Dragger - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 13, 2016, 09:51 AM
New Product

C-150 Texas Tail-Dragger

For all of you who have been looking for a C-150 for awhile, the wait is almost over. The guys at Dare/Brodak gave their blessing to work up a 60" Span C-150 for 5 ch. R/C. The best part of the whole thing, is that for those who like the C-150, but like me are not big fans of nose wheels, the design is set up to be built either with the standard Tri-cycle gear, or with the Texas Tail-Dragger conversion. I'll be doing the p-type as a tail dragger of course, but the kits will include everything needed to set up the stack landing gear arrangement as well.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2016, 09:54 AM

Starting with the Flaps

The flaps will be bottom hinged as with the full scale 150's. The flaps were assembled over the plan and then sanded to shape. I used blue foam to shape the leading edges, but balsa will be provided in the kit.
Jun 13, 2016, 09:57 AM

Getting Started Framing the Wings

The wings incorporate the standard egg-crate style of construction. The ribs and spars are dry fitted over the plans and tack glued together. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:01 AM

Finishing Framing the Wings and Fitting the Flap Hinges

The root bracing was added to prevent the cover from pulling the rib. The servo mounts were added, and the tip plates fitted and glued in place. The flap hinges were then set up to insure everything fit properly.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:06 AM

Finishing the Wings

The ailerons were built up over the plans, sanded to shape and the hinges cut in. With that done, the wings were sanded to final shape. And finally, the joiner tubes were fitted and glued into the wings.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:09 AM

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage is also very conventional in its construction. The side frames were built directly over the plans, then joined beginning at the top of the cabin.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:13 AM

Finish Framing the Fuselage

Once the cabin formers are in, the firewall was built up and the remaining formers glued in place. The landing gear was bent to shape and glued into the former assembly. Then with all of the formers in place the assembly was rough sanded to shape.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:18 AM

Mounting the Servos

A couple of stringers were glued in place to make breaking the formers a little tougher while mounting the servos and running in the elevator push rod. The servos are mounted in the aft cabin and will be accessible through the cabin doors so no external hatches will be needed.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:21 AM

Adding the Last of the Stringers

With all the internal components in, the remaining stringers were added, then the whole assembly given a good detail sanding, which included scolloping the formers between the stringers to eliminate the unsightly bumps in the cover.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:24 AM

Adding the Boot Cowl and Fairings

File Folder was used to fair the front end and the after window deck. Patterns for all of these parts will be provided on the kit plans. Foam blocks were also added to the aft cabin former to fair the rear window wrap-around into the wing roots. Again, balsa block will be provided in the kit.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:27 AM

Adding the Aileron and Flap Servos

The aileron and flap servos were glued in place using silicone caulk. The flap servo leads are long enough to exit the root, but extensions will be added to bring out the aileron leads.

Next up is to get the tail section framed. . . . .

PAT
Jun 13, 2016, 04:17 PM
Another great choice Pat! I have always loved the Texas Taildraggers. I have about 250 hours logged in full scale C-152s and find them so enjoyable to fly, but have always wanted to fly the taildrager version. Looks like I may have the opportunity soon with your big C-150. (RC version ,of course)

Since your going "taildragger" with the prototype, may I suggest going the next step and throw on some tundra tires as well! I have used the Multiplex Fun Cub wheels on a design of mine and really like them. They are super light weight. They are 4.8 inches in diameter and are molded foam. Not the most in-expensive wheel, but I have seen recently that HK's new Tundra aircraft has foam wheels that are the same diameter, but are less than half the price.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Wheel_Set.html

These are the cheapest Fun Cub wheels I have found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, a couple of possible color schemes for your consideration.

Brad
Last edited by cbalgra; Jun 13, 2016 at 05:55 PM.
Jun 13, 2016, 07:16 PM
Lookin really good Pat. I've been holding my breath since I first heard about this project a few weeks back. Do you have a color scheme in mind for the p-type yet? What power system are you going with. I will definitely be adding this to my must build list.

John.
Jun 13, 2016, 07:49 PM
Airliner Builder
YES! My friend and I have been waiting for a 60'' 150 for awhile. I plan on building both a trike and taildragger version with some spare FunCub wheels.
Jun 13, 2016, 07:54 PM
Tunes, I'm thinking about white with black trim, but there's also another scheme that I've been looking for a model to do it on for a long time. Will just have to wait and see

Plan to go with the standard 2217 on 2 cells with an APC 11-5.5E prop. That's the system that's proven to work real well in this size model, so should be a good one here too.

Meanwhile, made some good progress today. Will post up the photos as soon as they're "processed".

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jun 13, 2016 at 08:19 PM.