Northwest 2016 Day 7 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by mfwilliams, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 12, 2016, 02:18 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Discussion

Northwest 2016 Day 7

Friday Day 7
Temps had dropped into the lower 60ís so flying was much more comfortable. We spent our last full flying day, shopping again. Some of the guys were still looking for T-Shirts so we searched most of the morning. It was 12:30 before we fin ally left Hood and drove up to Lumber. Tom had left earlier and was up before we even parked at the base. The wind didnít look great down in Hood, but Tom reported we had plenty on the slope.
By the time all of arrived on the slope, the wind was howling at a good rate. It had a little North component in it and Lumber works best with a West wind. We had quite a bit a turbulence in the first 100í of the slope. Once you got past that it was a vertical elevator. We put up quite a few planes and at one point the sky was filled with Gulps and Moths (no pics of that because I was flying my Gulp). We had some tremendous pumps and climbouts. Most of us were running 2 bars of lead in or Gulps and it was reflected in the energy retention in the pumps.
As you can see in the pictures, we had a storm hanging out on the West side of the Hood river valley. It played with us for quite a while and then shortly after 4PM it reached us. Between the drizzle and the cold air (temp was about 60deg with a wind chill closer to 45deg), we choose the better part of valor and headed to the rental SUVs. Hood was filling with weekend warriors (it was Friday evening), so instead of packing at the rooms, we headed to Double Mountain for our final dinner. After 3 pizzas and numerous beers (I was designated driver, so only one beer for me) we topped it off with cones at Mikeís ice cream. It was a great trip and a great final day.

Mike
Last edited by mfwilliams; Jun 16, 2016 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2016, 04:53 PM
Great blog, Mike

Glad you guys had some epic days.

Will have to go a week or two earlier next year to

avoid the heat.

You'll be coming back to a hot Tennessee.

Catch you when you're back.

Poh
Jun 12, 2016, 05:29 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
I agree with you Poh (about the heat). I'll have to talk to about some of the changes going on at the slopes. Could have an impact on next year's trip.

Mike
Jun 12, 2016, 11:16 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Mike I'll bring the cool air and sunny days next year. WOOOHOOO

DJ
Jun 12, 2016, 11:35 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Looks like another trip in the books wish I could've made it, hoping to make it next year! BTW did you fly the bat?
Jamie
Jun 13, 2016, 12:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Flew the Bat. It was a handful. Finally sorted it out at EB. Needs a little more nose weight and smaller elevons. Blazingly fast, although not as fast as the 1m Rifle.
Jun 17, 2016, 05:34 PM
Eye in the Sky
Wow , Love that Mountain View