Jun 11, 2016, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

50+ Piper Cub 1940 plan

Hi,
Just some pics and progress on this new build.
This little 44 inch Cub is scaled down from the 57 inch version from Megow in 1940. I found it on Outer Zone, that wonderful source of all plans vintage.
I will use this model for vintage competition in two New Zealand classes: 1/2A Texaco and Texaco Scale. I've sized it to be 16ozs at the minimum 8 oz/ft sq minimum loading. The power will be the ubiquitous Cox Bab Bee with a big slow fly prop so it will run for most of the 8 minute target flight time, well, the motor should run a little over 5 minutes to a high altitude followed by a long glide. Anyway that is the plan! Time will tell.
Cheers
Allan
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2016, 12:01 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Nice progress Allen !

I'm watching your build of this rare model....

best regards,

jeff
Jun 12, 2016, 02:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
That looks great Allan, I've posted link to this thread on the build off thread Post #1 and I'll be watching with interest.
Jun 12, 2016, 04:31 AM
Thread OP

Thanks for the interest

Cheers guys, it is a fun build. Lots and lots of sticks in that little fuse.
I have now glassed that cowl but will need another layer.
Its been a wild winters afternoon here so have had plenty of warm workshop time today.
I attach a couple more pics I missed last time.

Allan
Last edited by AllanK1; Aug 28, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
Aug 28, 2016, 07:43 PM
Thread OP

Some progress

My little J3 Cub has finally had some attention again. It took me forever to make the dummy motors but the wing went quite quickly once I got started. That wing is actually pretty complex with well over 200 parts. The tips are really tricky because they curve in 3 dimensions. the 2D drawings just do not show you how they go. I'm happy though now as the aerofoil curve is matched right out to the tip and the lower surface comes up to meet it.
I will bolt on the wings with small nylon shear bolts rather than rubber bands. Much tidier.
The model as you see it is 10 ozs. So motor, remaining RX and power as well as Sollite covering need to be 6 ozs to fit with the weight target for the all important 8 oz/ft sq loading for Vintage Texaco competition here in NZ. Should make it but I usually blow it.
It will be finished traditionally in Cub yellow but with black under wing for visibility in this high flying class.

Allan
Aug 28, 2016, 08:03 PM
Looking nice Allan.
Cheers
Bob
Aug 28, 2016, 09:21 PM
Thread OP

Cheers

Thanks Bob, the Cub has a heap of wing area for not a lot of fuselage so is a good prospect from the glide performance perspective. The original was 57 inch compared to my 44. I think a bigger one again at say 80 inches with a nice 4 stroke would be great.
It makes a nice change from the stick with wings approach to vintage flying although there are some very nice pylon models too.

Allan
Aug 29, 2016, 12:08 AM
Looks great Allan!
Aug 29, 2016, 12:46 AM
Nice framework Allan.
Aug 29, 2016, 09:58 AM
Old Timer
VERY nice Allan.
Aug 29, 2016, 06:53 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Super job, Allan ....

best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Aug 29, 2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: sp
Aug 29, 2016, 07:41 PM
Thread OP

Which plan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
VERY nice Allan.
Thanks Mr Condor, I seem to remember you were a fan of Cubs for vintage competition and they were winners even with your 15 minute max in 1/2A? Did you use the same plan as me by any chance?

Allan
Sep 05, 2016, 04:59 AM
Thread OP

Progress

Covering is now done so fitted some lettering and trim using just hand cut film. Easy and cheap. Also started on the glazing by making a template.
Starting to look very scale like.

Regards

Allan
Last edited by AllanK1; Jul 08, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
Sep 05, 2016, 05:32 AM
Looks beautiful Allan

Al
Sep 05, 2016, 05:42 AM
That's starting to look the business Allan

Quick Reply