May 16, 2020, 12:40 AM
yes...HA! Go, Vic, go!
Meeting up with you is still on my bucket list....
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2020, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
thanks dan...need the extra encouragement......
May 17, 2020, 07:43 AM
May 20, 2020, 07:05 PM
One good effect of the corona virus - Vic cannot auction the ships right now! Vic, ya gotta keep going on these builds, yer just a spring chicken, age wise. If they are too big, build some smaller ones, but keep your talent going! What are the other displays you mention? Lets see: I've seen the Confederacy, the galleon, and the Couronne, not to mention your earlier builds like the Royal William. Are there others? Always interesting to see your fantastic builds.
Last edited by beneteau3; May 20, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
May 21, 2020, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
you're very kind.....put some shots on flickr so at least they 're somewhere.....thanks mucho...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

oh......yer right i still gotta do something, so i'm building a plastic model of the preussen ...cause there's no stink and dust and mess and big expenses........kinda fun...and clean ..... forming the sails with fine muslin over the plastic ones...interesting experiment.....kinda sheer , but i think i like the effect.....craftistic licence........cheers............
Last edited by yancovitch; May 21, 2020 at 12:21 AM.
May 23, 2020, 11:10 PM
SCALE Sailor
Wait, Snoopy in a Pfalz tripe?
May 24, 2020, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
hehe....yep...the german version of peanuts.........and how about mrs. richthofen...or maybe his mistress?...blond..blue i eyed
Aug 06, 2020, 06:52 AM
I know Vic likes interesting craft. And, I know this is Scale Sailboats. But since the name Richtofen was mentioned. I want to say that Anthony Fokker had one of the most interesting post WWI motor yachts...QED.

"Anton Herman Gerard "Anthony" Fokker was a Dutch aviation pioneer and aircraft manufacturer. He is most famous for the fighter aircraft he produced in Germany during the First World War such as the Eindecker monoplanes, the Dr.1 triplane and the D.VII biplane. He strove to apply airplane technology to create an advanced, fast yacht, with the Q.E.D. as the result. Quod Erat Demonstrandum, meaning “which was to be proven”. Fokker himself put a lot of time and effort into the design of his revolutionary yacht. He wanted to use all the knowledge he had gained in the design and construction of airplanes. The challenge was, through the construction of the Q.E.D., to eventually build larger yachts with substantially less weight. The idea was to achieve higher speeds and improved economy and efficiency. The Q.E.D. was launched at the shipyard of the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, New York City, on 20 June 1938."
Aug 06, 2020, 10:42 AM
Thread OP
1938?....wow...what a visionary.....!
Sep 29, 2021, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
have had to give my ships away, or sell them at cost of materials, as we've moved into a small one bedroom in a seniors home.....but it was fun....expensive....but fun.....and my wife didn't divorce me......cheers to all.......................vic
Sep 29, 2021, 05:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
Maybe a little schooner just to have something to sail around and will look good on the TV or mantel when not in use

Name: soe20111202d.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 90.8 KB
Description: Mark's "Son of Erin" knockabout schooner, convertible to a sloop about 3 feet long
Oct 03, 2021, 09:26 PM
Vic, I hope that becuz you are making some living changes doesn't mean you are not gonna stay in touch with us! I would be disappointed if you disappeared! I also hope you continue making boats, just smaller ones - bathtub size maybe...
Last edited by beneteau3; Oct 03, 2021 at 09:49 PM.
Oct 07, 2021, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
can't remember how many times, after seeing my models, people ask me if i made ships in bottles......sheesh........maybe that's what i should have been making all this time......haha...maybe a huge bottle with a littl fan and a radio controlled ship within

slowly working on this plastic prussen...rigging more difficult than anything i've built...so small......shadows on the hull make it look like a poor paint job....i got these led strips which can change color.....i put three lengths back and forth at the top front of the case, but it still creates some shadows.....i could have added some down the sides to, which may have helped...but i'll leave it as such....made cloth sails.....

.....now back to tying threads.....cheers.....vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Oct 07, 2021 at 12:08 PM.
Oct 07, 2021, 01:23 PM
SCALE Sailor
I can't afford the bottles that would fit my ships
Oct 28, 2021, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
i finally have to toot my own horn for something....found some old photos of 13 foot hms victory, and can't believe i built that.....got a heller model and got the lines with a little contour measure with the little pins, then made a projector and projected them on a paper on a wall, probably distorted a bit.....made the bulkheads and then, the ship...i really am totally nuts......thought i'd just share some iffy photos....i guess it's my swan song
''it'' was pulling two of us in an inflatable......cheers to all.............vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Oct 28, 2021 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply