Thread Tools
Jun 11, 2016, 12:45 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
New Product

GEPRC New X frames - GEP-ZX4, GEP-ZX5 & GEP-ZX6 VX5 QX5


Just noticed a new X frames from GERPRC which looks amazing.

I've had great experience with GEPRC frames from my previous GEP210 frame, It was one of the best Quad frame package I saw and they thought of everything (better package than some expensive brands I got), My GEP210 build blog:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34221260&postcount=156

I hope the X frames will be the same.

In the lineup are GEP-ZX4 170mm 48$ for 4" prop setup:

http://www.banggood.com/GEPRC-GEP-ZX4-170mm-3k-Carbon-Fiber-Frame-Kit-with-12V-5V-PDB-Board-p-1058979.html

GEP-ZX5 190mm 49$ for 5" prop setup:

http://www.banggood.com/GEPRC-GEP-ZX5-190mm-3K-Carbon-Fiber-Frame-Kit-with-12V-5V-PDB-Board-p-1059344.html

And lastly GEP-ZX6 225mm 53$ for 6" prop setup:

http://www.banggood.com/GEPRC-GEP-ZX6-225mm-Carbon-Fiber-Frame-Kit-with-12V-5V-PDB-Board-p-1058980.html

All the frames seem to be built the same except the arms length.
Arms are 4mm thick!
Main plate 2mm thick
Aluminum arms connector for extra strength (the pic shows the Arm at the bottom, next plate followed by aluminum, I might try to put the arms in the middle)
12V 5V PDB included like in the gep210
Main pod has also small brackets for HD camera which is a very nice touch for an X frame.
Weight is very low, 101g for the 5" version with all the accesories is very light.
96g for the 4"
109g for the 6"

Some pics from the 5" version:
Last edited by sevet; Dec 07, 2016 at 05:01 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2016, 12:49 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Reserved for updates
Jun 11, 2016, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Love the design, cheap, easy to order for europe customers.
One of the smallest 5" frame i think.
Just a bit concern of the battery of the bottom, never got a X frame before.
Mine was shipped 8 days ago from BG.
Jun 13, 2016, 06:09 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Yep, battery at the bottom is the #1 hold off for getting an X frame, but I figure that with an X frame flying very fast specific for races, with top battery it will hit more damage than bottom battery.
Jun 13, 2016, 08:53 AM
Registered User
Great value, a bit heavier than some mono plate designs but its got the advantage of replaceable arms.

My only concern is the 1.5mm carbon on the top pod
Jun 16, 2016, 12:02 PM
Registered User
look at all those bolts underneath where the lipo is supposed to go...that will damage the lipo in crashes...anyone any ideas how to cover? Otherwise an interesting frame...
Jun 17, 2016, 05:51 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808
look at all those bolts underneath where the lipo is supposed to go...that will damage the lipo in crashes...anyone any ideas how to cover? Otherwise an interesting frame...
Just put velcro there, the thickness will be like a cushion to the battery.
Jun 17, 2016, 03:35 PM
Registered User
Just received mine.
It's a really nice frame, can't wait to try it.
20mm standoff is really small, i put 30mm nylon to fit x4r, 25mm would be better but didn't have.
I put some foam on the bottom.
Included strap is nice for camera, a bit narrow to use for lipo, i used medium scorpion strap for lipo.

It's just a quick build with servo pin because i still don't know if it's the final setup.
Jun 22, 2016, 03:42 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djakette
Just received mine.
It's a really nice frame, can't wait to try it.
20mm standoff is really small, i put 30mm nylon to fit x4r, 25mm would be better but didn't have.
I put some foam on the bottom.
Included strap is nice for camera, a bit narrow to use for lipo, i used medium scorpion strap for lipo.

It's just a quick build with servo pin because i still don't know if it's the final setup.
@djakette Nice!
whats the weight without battery and camera?
I think nylon standoff is bad, they will protect against hard crashes by breaking but will also break on small crashes...
20mm should be enough, on my hardest build I put a beerorot F3+OSD and the matching beerotor PDB to 12mm height, should leave 8mm for RX if you skin it from the PINS (or get a naked one, or an XSR)

*UPDATE: Just saw the weight, 292g, cool!!
Jun 23, 2016, 07:45 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
GepRC just released two more frames:
Not much info on the banggood page except the pictures though...

GEPRC GEP-VX5 180mm/215mm/250mm:

http://www.banggood.com/GEPRC-GEP-VX5-180mm215mm250mm-Carbon-Fiber-Frame-Kit-with-PDB-p-1063146.html

This one looks like an ImpulseRC clone.


GEPRC GEP-QX5 195mm:

http://www.banggood.com/GEPRC-GEP-QX5-195mm-Carbon-Fiber-Frame-Kit-with-PDB-p-1063149.html

This looks like a true X unibody frame which could be great for an extreme light build, I think the XT60 connecter as in the picture could be a problem with the wire sticking to the propellers direction, maybe upside down if possible
Last edited by sevet; Jul 08, 2016 at 04:44 PM.
Jun 28, 2016, 02:41 AM
Registered User
CrashingDutchman's Avatar
The ZX Series are now available from HobbyKing too. The ZX series comes in three wheelbase sizes, the ZX6 at 225mm, the GEP-ZX5 at 190mm and the GEP-ZX4 at 170mm. Each has easily detachable arms through a unique alloy frame brace, making arm replacement quick and simple. The upper camera mounting is fully adjustable up to 60 degrees and is compatible with Runcam and GoPro cameras.

Edit: free shipping!

GEP-ZX4: http://bit.ly/1PNlZau
GEP-ZX5: http://bit.ly/1PNkU2u
GEP-ZX6: http://bit.ly/1PNm8dT

GEP-ZX Quadcopter Frames - HobbyKing Daily (4 min 41 sec)
Last edited by CrashingDutchman; Jun 28, 2016 at 04:52 AM.
Jun 28, 2016, 08:13 AM
My quadcopter is not a drone!
unseen's Avatar
I built a ZX5 a couple of weeks ago.



My build was:

GEPRC ZX5 frame
Emax 2204 2300kv motors
KingKong 5045 props
Littlebee 20A Pro ESCs
Beerotor F3 AIO flight controller
Beerotor Regulated PDB with +12V and +5V regulators, LC filter and current sensor
TS5840 200mW VTX
Lemon RX diversity DSMX satellite RX
Fatshark 600TVL CMOS camera
Nano-tech 1000mA/h 4S battery

I used the Fatshark camera just because I had it lying around and my metal cased Runcam CCD camera would not fit. I am very glad I chose the Beerotor AIO board as there is absolutely no room for anything else in the electronics stack, not even a micro minimosd board!

The nylon stand-offs for the flight controller are no problem as the electronics stack does not form part of the frame structure. The plate that the camera pod screws onto fits over the electronics but is not connected to it. There are separate aluminium stand-offs for that.

This is how much space is left between the PDB and FC:



Basically, none at all.

This leaves you with nowhere to mount your VTX and RX except on top of the camera pod if you are not going to mount a Mobius or GoPro (which is what I did), or on the sides of the camera pod which wasn't going to work very well for my RX and the possibilities for tie wrapping stuff to the sides of the pod are rather limited.



I also managed to mount a beeper inside the camera pod, but there is little room to put other things inside as the camera gets in the way both above and below.

Dry weight was 311g and with the battery, it came to 428g in total.



As you can imagine, with such a light weight and such a powerful motor and propeller combination, the ZX5 is jaw droppingly fast! A full throttle punch out pulls 20A per motor and the quad is out of line of sight before you know it.
The frame is sturdy and well made. Mine has already had a couple of crashes and shrugs them off without damage.

I wish the designers had put a little more thought into how you are supposed to mount your VTX and RX. Somewhere to mount an SMA connector on a pigtail would also have been nice to protect the VTX in a crash.

These shortcomings aside, I'm really pleased with what I've built. It's fast, very manoeuvrable and quick to respond and seems to be sturdy enough to cope with the inevitable crash or two. Just don't expect to be able to add things like an OSD or voltage regulators if they are not already built in.
Jul 19, 2016, 09:22 AM
Registered User

Gep ZX-5 - slight mod


Hey guys, I found this thread and figured I wouldn't make another one so I'll just write here - hope the OP won't mind.

I am a huge fan of GepRC frames. Made my first real build on Gep 210 frame (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post34742631) and it is still my favorite quad that I fly most often. Also it is most powerful of my quads and I am testing latest RaceFlight BetaBuilds on it. It had even survived an epic crash to still soccer goal top bar (see more info about it here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=257).

So when I saw an X frame with replaceable arms, I was immediately sold to it. I got the frame, but so far did not have time to build my next quad on it as life got in way and I still wasn't able to get all the necessary components. However, I played with the frame a bit in the mean time and came up with some innovative way of mounting it together (the base part) so that there is more room for electronic left, less screws are needed and it still has potentially more strength than in original setup. See the pictures and notes below them.
Jul 19, 2016, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzi
Hey guys, I found this thread and figured I wouldn't make another one so I'll just write here - hope the OP won't mind.

I am a huge fan of GepRC frames. Made my first real build on Gep 210 frame (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post34742631) and it is still my favorite quad that I fly most often. Also it is most powerful of my quads and I am testing latest RaceFlight BetaBuilds on it. It had even survived an epic crash to still soccer goal top bar (see more info about it here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=257).

So when I saw an X frame with replaceable arms, I was immediately sold to it. I got the frame, but so far did not have time to build my next quad on it as life got in way and I still wasn't able to get all the necessary components. However, I played with the frame a bit in the mean time and came up with some innovative way of mounting it together (the base part) so that there is more room for electronic left, less screws are needed and it still has potentially more strength than in original setup. See the pictures and notes below them.
Yep nice idea, i will do that since i need to rebuild it.
But i will put 1mm nylon washer between pdb and carbon so that :
- you don't need isolation
- you can put the 4 srews missing if you want
- you can put your lipo strap between pdb and carbon, i think you miss this point with your build
Jul 20, 2016, 01:30 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by djakette
Yep nice idea, i will do that since i need to rebuild it.
But i will put 1mm nylon washer between pdb and carbon so that :
- you don't need isolation
- you can put the 4 srews missing if you want
- you can put your lipo strap between pdb and carbon, i think you miss this point with your build
That is indeed possible and you probably don't need that 1-2 mm of height between stand-offs. But if anybody does need even that small extra space, it is not really necessary to put the strap right below the PDB, but it can be put through the strap holes and around the frame next to them. I forgot to add photos with strap, so I'll attach them here (the one pictured is too short to reach around the battery but you get the idea).

Anyway, if that 1-2 mm are to spare, then it will be better to run the strap under the PDB as you say (as the thin part of the base plate where the strap attaches could break in a crash which would try to send battery flying with exceptional force).

I still wouldn't put in the 4 center screws because it would make the arms much harder to exchange should one or two break in a crash (although I can't really imagine that kind of crash that'd break these). The PDB would have to be raised enough for the user to be able to unscrew and take out the screw from the broken arm (i.e. at least 15-20 mm) which would be hardly doable without complete rebuild.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools