N00b interested in learning to fly planes - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 11, 2016, 12:29 PM

N00b interested in learning to fly planes

I'm a Portland west-sider interested in learning how to fly RC planes. I have experience with sailplanes and quadrotors, but am finally interested in powered planes. I've got an AMA membership. So, where to go from here?

What are the options for training/learning at the Fly-A-Ways field? Do I need to provide my own plane, radio, and buddy cable?
Do I need to join the club first, before I can come out and train?
Are there volunteer trainer pilots?

Thanks in advance!

Tristan
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2016, 01:05 PM

Learning to Fly at Fly A Ways

HI Tristan,
Thanks for inquiring. Call me at 516-236-9277 and I can discuss further. There is a lot of support at Fly A Ways for new flyers and our club members are all really helpful. We have several instructors who are happy to help. If you already have AMA and some sailplane or multi experience, you are well on your way. Check out https://www.flyaways.org/documents/N...une_1_2016.pdf and https://www.flyaways.org/?q=Info%20%26%20Application
for a head start on the application and our safety rules.

I am in the SW near Hillsdale and would be happy to meet up and talk RC over a coffee.

Regards,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofresh
I'm a Portland west-sider interested in learning how to fly RC planes. I have experience with sailplanes and quadrotors, but am finally interested in powered planes. I've got an AMA membership. So, where to go from here?

What are the options for training/learning at the Fly-A-Ways field? Do I need to provide my own plane, radio, and buddy cable?
Do I need to join the club first, before I can come out and train?
Are there volunteer trainer pilots?

Thanks in advance!

Tristan
Jun 12, 2016, 10:13 AM
Jeff - thanks so much for the quick reply! I'm thinking of heading out to the field this afternoon (6/12). Any chance you'll be there? If not, maybe coffee Thursday or Friday. Thanks again, Tristan
Jun 12, 2016, 02:05 PM
Actually, yes, I am heading out for the afternoon to Fly A Ways. So if you see a guy with a black minivan, please say hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofresh
Jeff - thanks so much for the quick reply! I'm thinking of heading out to the field this afternoon (6/12). Any chance you'll be there? If not, maybe coffee Thursday or Friday. Thanks again, Tristan
Jun 12, 2016, 11:35 PM
Tristan, it was so nice meeting you and your soon at the field today. I look forward to flying with you and hope you can make the meeting at the field on June 21st.
Best,
Jeff
Jun 17, 2016, 09:57 AM

See you Tuesday

Thanks Jeff - see you Tuesday evening at the field.

tristan